Lectra San or Pura San

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

Gentlemen,

We are looking at waste treatment system options for our boat.* We intend to spend a little over half the year in salt water and the rest in fresh.* What are your thoughts Pura San Vs Lectra San?* It is either add salt to salt tank ½ year, or replace chlorine tabs as needed.* How often does the chlorine have to be replaced, understand depends on how much flushing, just looking for a WAG.* There is a substantial cost difference between the 2 systems especially when you add in the salt tank and pump.* Just looking for others experience and thoughts on the matter.

Kevin.

With the electrascan you don't need a pump unless you are using dockside pressurized water to run the toilet. I ordered the 2 gal saltank for mine, but only to get the fittings and t-valve. I made my own tank out of a kitty litter container (about 5 gallons). Solar salt at Lowes is $4.97 for a 40lb bag. That will last 2-3 months for 2 people. Hope this helps.

Kevin---

What I'd suggest you do is contact Peggie Hall, who probably knows more about marine sanitation than anyone on the planet. The e-mail address she uses on her posts to the T&T list, GB owners, etc. is peggie.hall@gmail.com

She is pretty good about responding to direct e-mails.

Marin,

I am a regular reader of the T&T list but have never posted there; not real sure how the whole thing works with the list.* For me tecnology hit its peak with microwave burritos, I still use paper charts and, (even though I suck with it), a sextant. Sure I have a GPS but who trust those things
biggrin.gif
.* Anyway, I was aware that Peggy was the Queen of sanitation, (probably not what she would want to be know as), just didnt know if I should e-mail her directly or not, still new at the whole forum and e-mail list etiquette thing. Thanks for the e-mail.

Kevin

Kevin---

If you have subscribed to the T&T list then all you need to do is post your question in an e-mail to trawlers-and-trawlering@lists.samurai.com and it will appear on the list.

The only way you can get in "trouble" on the T&T list is if you receive the daily digest (as opposed to each post as it's sent in) and you reply to a post by hitting "reply" on your e-mail program. This will append the entire daily digest to your reply which is Not Good.

So what you need to do is copy just the relevant part of the post you want to reply to and paste it into a new e-mail to the address above. Use the same subject line as the post you are responding to, type your answer or comment, and send it in.

I saw in another post that you have served for 22-plus years in the military. You didn't say what branch or what you did, but regardless, thank you very much for looking out for us. Your efforts are far more appreciated in this country than the media and a few vocal minorities might lead you to believe.

Peggie Hall (the Headmistress) used to moderate a forum over at sailboatowners.com, also.* Don't know if she still does.

Vic Willman moderates the "Marine sanitation, plumbing and the like" forum at boatered.com.* He is a (the?) senior tech advisor at Raritan.* Needless to say, he's very knowledgeable about both Raritan products but he really knows his stuff about his competitors, too.* Very friendly and I've always gotten an answer from him when I've e-mailed him.

I've talked with both Peggie and Vic (e-mails) and both are very nice and forthcoming with any info and knowledge they have.

I have a Purasan on my boat.* I love it and think it's*a much simpler system than the Electrasan.* I've read and heard about a lot of problems with burned out electrodes, problems with salt dispensers, etc..* Of course the Purasan needs that chemical tablet and it's classified as "hazardous", which means it can't be mailed or air-freighted.* It has to be delivered by truck.* I've never seen anyone carry them in stock....you have to order it and wait a week or two for delivery.* (I'm probably just not shopping at the right place).*

The literature says that the tablets last "several hundred" cycles.* I think you could probably get a full year with moderate use.* They are a bit spendy but worth it, in my opinion.

Sorry about being so wordy.....I remember being worried about how the Purasan would work in salt water.* According to Vic the Purasan works equally well in fresh or salt.

As far as salt, you could just put a container near the head and put some in each flush.... simple and easy as long as you remember. Guests aren't as helpful though.

Hey Kevin,

Welcome aboard.

Troika (my Albin 25) came with a Lectrasan so it's pretty old, not original equipment but been in there a long time and still works great.

Anyway, upon reading the owners manual it was suggested to use "Canning Salt" if possible because it dissolves completely being devoid of fillers.

Thank you for your service to our country. My very best wishes to you and your family in your retirement.

Please keep us up to date on your cruise preparations, itinerary and places you stop at.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, it looks to me like the picture of your Troika was take at the Houma, Louisiana city docks, just off the GICWW is that so? It is not far from where I live and keep my boat.
Steve

Hey Steve,
It sure is... "Houma Downtown Marina". I was there on a cruise from Galveston to Apalachicola just 5 months after hurricane Katrina. Bill & Velma Ellender were the very friendly dockmasters at the time. When I arrived, Velma met me at the dock with an arm load of fruit and vegetables. She apologized that Bill wasn't there, said he was taking a nap. HaHa She was so cute. The marina is located between two bridges on Bayou Terrebonne at mile marker 58 whl (west of Harvey Locks). I got my folding bicycle out and enjoyed a ride through town, did my laundry and as the sun was setting I enjoyed an authentic cajun meal at a local restaurant.* I'm attaching a couple other photos that maybe you will recognize.* One is of a statue in the marina park and the other is of a* tow passing by on the ICW.* Thanks for bring back some great memories.

Regards,

Bill

Bill and Velma's daughter and son in law are handling the marina chores now. We have stopped a few times here and always enjoy the hospitality.
Steve

-- Edited by Forkliftt at 21:31, 2008-03-08

Attachments

• dscf2366.jpg
    dscf2366.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 195
  • dscf2365.jpg
    dscf2365.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 161

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom