Participation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote:

"Don't get me wrong. I'm not badmouthing people who like to read about other people's cruises, or like to write about their own. I'm just saying I'm not one of them."

Marin: This would have sufficed! What the hell was all that other stuff about? For a guy who doesn't want to read or write about what other people are doing, you sure can fill a page!

I didn't say I don't want to shoot my mouth off, just that I don't want to shoot it off about cruising stories
smile.gif

I just like to read about what you guys in the US of A get up to and have a bit of input into some of the technical and cruising questions.
Will post some tales of cruising down under if any one is interested but I mostly cruise out into the Great Barrier Reef fish and dive (shoot fish,no scuba), no land in sight.
Return home via Fraser island (the largest sand Island in the world).
This year I had intended to cruise from Mooloolaba to Darwin about 2200 nautical miles but the Boss thinks we should spend a bit more time at home and renovate another house.
I will let you know how we go. I hope we get about 900 NM up the coast.
I enjoy this forum more than the PMM as it is so much faster and a dam sight more simple.

Benn

Tidahapah wrote:
Will post some tales of cruising down under if any one is interested but I mostly cruise out into the Great Barrier Reef fish and dive (shoot fish,no scuba), no land in sight.
Return home via Fraser island (the largest sand Island in the world).
This year I had intended to cruise from Mooloolaba to Darwin about 2200 nautical miles but the Boss thinks we should spend a bit more time at home and renovate another house.
I will let you know how we go. I hope we get about 900 NM up the coast.
I enjoy this forum more than the PMM as it is so much faster and a dam sight more simple.

Benn

Yep, Benn, sounds boring as hell.....of course we would love to hear about it!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said SeaHorse! Succint and to the point.

Marin also wrote:

"I've had a few books published and I'm working on another one, but I try to write those in a such a way that people will want to buy them. But that's a WAY different kind of writing than the typical "my cruise" post to a website"

There is currently a book on Ebay by Marin, "Flying a Floatplane" - Pieceofmind books have it for $0.12. Worth every cent.

It would be sad indeed if we could only get to read stories from "professional" authors. Some of the most interesting tales have come from ordinary folk who have simply put their stories down for posterity or maybe even initially just for themselves. Anne Frank comes to mind.

Nobody should feel intellectually threatened from putting their thoughts down for others to read by thinking that their scribblings are going to be dissected by some wannabe critic. If you've had a nice trip somewhere tell everyone about it. Who cares if your grammar don't make sens or your spellin ain't right. These days most kids don't even know that a preposition ain't a good thing to end a sentence with!!

Charles07---

Hey, they can give the book away for free if they want to.* I got my cut of the cover price a long time ago.

"Flying a Floatplane" came out in 1985 and went through three editions and was finally taken out of print in 2002.* My current published book is "Success on the Step: Flying with Kenmore Air." Harrison Ford wrote the foreword for me and I recently learned is considering using the book as the basis for a movie.

But Chuck, you might want to consider taking a remedial reading course at your local community college because you clearly need help interpreting what you see in print. It was never suggested that people not post cruising stories unless they were written "professionally" nor was it suggested that anyone's cruising stories were going to be "dissected" in any way.

Half the world's population is of below average intelligence. So I guess it's a statistical inevitability that Chuck is here to represent the lower half.

-- Edited by Marin at 00:19, 2008-03-02

Of course I'm stoopid and dumb, got a boat ain't I! My wife used to have a T shirt with a big arrow that said "I'm with stupid". She said she always wanted me to be by her right side so she felt safe. Well how DUMB was I! The arrow pointed at ME!! Took me years to find out. Anyhow, anyone who reads my sarcastic ramblings on this forum can tell I'm a bit retarded and not real bright.

I was actually having dinner with Harrison (Mr Ford) or Han Solo as he likes to be called*after a good scotch, and he mentioned that he was very impressed with Kenmore Air after they did such a great job restoring his old Beaver N28S. *He remembers signing a book about Kenmore Air but at the time he thought it was just an autograph hunter. Apparently the moofie is going to be called "Indiana Jones - a step too faure"

Half the world's population is of below average intelligence.

Sure ,

BUT if you are so bright that you are ,,, One in a Million,

Remember in China there are 1300 just like you!

FF

Marin,

Charles 07 may have said a few unsavory things but he made up for lots by " Indiana Jones - a step to Faure ". I'm sorry Marin .. I had a good howl this morning. I'll give the man a " get out of jail free card " for at least a week and I can imagine yourself laughing a bit too.

Eric

Ditto!!!!!!* (LOL)

They can call the movie whatever they want as long as the check doesn't bounce.* GB46, here we come
smile.gif

-- Edited by Marin at 11:24, 2008-03-03

Statistics!

Statistics show that in China a woman is having a baby every 53 seconds!!!
Guys, we gotta find that woman and STOP her!

Hey, I'm certain Trawler Forum is like Lake Wobegon...

All of our children are above average!!!

Eric:*Earlier in this thread you said, It seems strange to me that knowing I live in SE Alaska ( I put it on my posts for many months ) nobody has asked me anything about " local knowlege ". *.In your Masset to P.R. thread, in a Mar.1 post, you said, We will be driving to Puget Sound in about a month. At that time you will cease to hear from me as I will be away from the little lap top thing. We should leave PS for POW about the 1st of July and take a month or so returning home so by mid August we should be back home in Thorne Bay.In your profile you said, Will be going south in May to finish up and bring the boat home. .*If you are anywhere near your lap top thing, and have the time, could you confirm for me* that the POWI communities of Thorne Bay, Coffman Cove, Naukati, and Hydaburg have Fuel Docks dispensing diesel, which are likely to be open during June-July this year?* If things go as planned I would be back in Ketchikan and heading for Prince Rupert about end of July and would look for you in the vicinity.* Leaving Rupert I have a couple of options which would keep me there for a week or so.* I can post here to keep you informed of my location if you want me to that.* Thanks in advance.* I hope you are pleased with the work on your Willy.*
biggrin.gif

* Old_Salt

Eric:

You said no one ever stops in at Thorne Bay.

img_10262_0_d56d4b5b3c8b54627b57c4777902df77.jpg

Look at all the famous names!*

"Stalwyn", the visitor to Southeast, who did stop in at Thorne Bay.

"Susan", who is going to be moved to make room for "Nomadwilly" in his new berth ...*

... and, of course, the "Riptide".

Currently in Craig (July 15) with a couple of days of sight-seeing to do.* Then to Ketchikan around July 24-25, and Prince Rupert/Port Edwards July 28-29.* I will keep a lookout for you on my way South.

Old_Salt*

Old Salt, There's very little of Thorne Bay in the picture but I admit you must have been in Thorne Bay. I'm so sorry I wasn't here to recieve you. We left Everett 17 July and were in Smith Sound at the end of the month. At that time you were in Rupert so we must have passed each other at about Bella Bella. Willy has performed very well. She's very slow with a cruising speed of 6.15 knots and a burn rate of .87 gal per hr. We burned 111 gallons over 22 days and ran at 2300 rpm. Spent a day or two at 2000 and 2 or 3 days at 2450 ( it's a 3000 rpm engine ). The boat takes care of itself enough so following seas from the quarter are easily handled wirth the new hydraulic steering. The Comander 30 is a very good boat. One was in the slip next to us a few years ago. The gel coat on his boat was so good he did'nt even use antifouling paint on the bottom! It could be the shiniest boat I've ever seen. As I recall he pressure washed from time to time and that was all. Sorry I'm so casual about my e-mail. If you send me your land line phone # I'll call you. nomadwilly@yahoo.com. Well you're not one in a million, or a thousand but you are one in 500. The first of the group to come to Thorne Bay on my invite.

Eric Henning
Wliiard 30
Thorne Bay AK

-- Edited by nomadwilly at 23:23, 2008-08-30

Hi Eric:

Thanks for letting me know you made it home O.K.

Nice trip, isn't it?*
aww.gif

We got home to Secret Cove/Halfmoon Bay about 3 hours before you responded to the post with the photo of the "Riptide" !!!

We sung out with a "Nomadwilly" on 16 every once in a while, but since we took the middle route south from Port Edward, we only returned to the IP at Klemtu, New Bella Bella, and then down Fitz Hugh Sound.* I enjoyed my 6 week 1350 nm trip around POWI - quite pleasantly surprised at all the great scenery and first-rate anchorages I found on the east side, and the west side is just special boating all the way.* Got in a little side trip from Port Protection to Kake for fuel and water and back the next day (we both know I really went so I could travel Keku Strait in both directions on back to back days, don't we?), and another side trip from Craig to Nagasay Cove through Launch Passage*and back to Craig, but the rest of the trip was spent following the shoreline of POWI.* I did skip Brownson Bay because it was just gettin' a leetle too rough out there, I overnighted in Nichols Bay and hightailed around Cape Chacon in the very a.m. to Gardner Bay for an o/n before returning to Ketchikan.* My wife flew in to Rupert on July 31 and we spent a month coming home together.

You live in a very special place, Eric.* Beautiful scenery, great boating,*and the people I met were considerate and helpful.* I'll be back.* Here's a little more of Thorne Bay.

img_10792_1_69ae099e52a24aadf7647a14c9d4600a.jpg

OS

I'll get back to you on your suggestions.

-- Edited by Old_Salt at 21:45, 2008-09-01

Hi Old Salt, What a cruiser you are. I've ilved here 3 years and I've not gone round the Island. I finally got my boat up here and now I'm down with oil filter problems. What a time you must have had. I'll bet you were glad to get home though .. we were. Many of the places you mentioned I don't know and need to look up. It IS a big Island. You didn't even complain about the rain and this year most of the people who have been here for years are complaining profoundly. Iv'e spent most of my time since Iv'e been home with my outboards. My newly varnished cap rails already have white spots where there were no bungs. Going to Craig tomorow .. prolly eat at the Dockside Cafe. We should prolly take this thread to the Voyager section .. Yes?

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK

Time permitting, I'd like to get to Craig Alaska next summer. My DeFever has 400 gallons of water capacity. I've no watermaker onboard - intentionally so at this time. As I venture north from Port Hardy I read in Waggoners there are plenty of fill point stops, but for you who have traveled this route is this indeed the case? My 400 gallons can be kept to 20 to 30 gallons/day consumption for me and my wife. We carry drinking water separately and lightly bleach the tanks with each fill for "purification." On PMM a question like this elicits a respone from Baltimore as to what kind of watermaker I should buy and why do I shower?

Go to Voyagers and other Boaters on the go.

Tom:

Since Eric has posted his response to your question in another thread, I will post my response in "Voyagers" as well.

Old_Salt

Eric:

"We should prolly take this thread to the Voyager section .. Yes?"
Sure, if that is more appropriate.I'll respond to your posts re our trips and ask my questions in "The B.C. Coast and Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska"OS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom