Engine Stall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eeber

Veteran Member
Hello Gentlemen-

The lake was very choppy this morning. Ran around for about one and a half hours when engine quit. I remembered what I had read about crud getting stirred up on choppy days but a simple priming of the pump got me going.
I was close to being back off the lake and had no further problem.

Does this sound like a piece of crud or water passing through?

Thanks-
Eeber

Not really. What kind of engine?

Possible tiny air leak in the fuel system?

Marin-
There is a small leak before the racor I can see when squeezing the fuel line bulb but why just this particular time?

Thank you-
Eeber

Fuel and air can do funny things that seemingly defy explanation. Any air leak in the fuel system, however tiny, has the potential to shut the engine down or make it run unevenly. So any opportunity for air to get into the fuel should be eliminated even if it hasn't caused a problem before (or so far).

I can't answer your "why this time" question because I have nothing to go on. I can't even say that the fuel line bulb leak is why the engine shut down this time. All I can say is that if you have an air leak anywhere, fix it.

The fact you had to bleed the fuel system to get the engine going again points to it getting a slug of air which caused the fuel flow to be interrupted. There could be other causes for this, but an air leak in a line at a fitting, crack, pinhole, filter gasket, etc. can certainly do it.

Now if you have very dirty tanks with a lot of muck in the bottoms that got stirred up by the rough water that could certainly clog a filter and cause fuel starvation at the engine. And you would have to bleed the fuel system to get it going again. But the evidence of this will be very apparent in a filter element that is totally gummed up with crud. If your filter elements are clean, then to me that would eliminate tank crud as the cause and steer me back to an air leak somewhere.

Last edited:
Fuel and air can do funny things that seemingly defy explanation. Any air leak in the fuel system, however tiny, has the potential to shut the engine down or make it run unevenly. So any opportunity for air to get into the fuel should be eliminated even if it hasn't caused a problem before (or so far).

I can't answer your "why this time" question because I have nothing to go on. I can't even say that the fuel line bulb leak is why the engine shut down this time. All I can say is that if you have an air leak anywhere, fix it.

The fact you had to bleed the fuel system to get the engine going again points to it getting a slug of air which caused the fuel flow to be interrupted. There could be other causes for this, but an air leak in a line at a fitting, crack, pinhole, filter gasket, etc. can certainly do it.

Now if you have very dirty tanks with a lot of muck in the bottoms that got stirred up by the rough water that could certainly clog a filter and cause fuel starvation at the engine. And you would have to bleed the fuel system to get it going again. But the evidence of this will be very apparent in a filter element that is totally gummed up with crud. If your filter elements are clean, then to me that would eliminate tank crud as the cause and steer me back to an air leak somewhere.

Thanks Boss-
Makes total sense.
I'll get on that leak ASAP.
Sincerely appreciative-
Eeber

That tiny air leak you noticed likely is allowing air into the fuel system. That air is getting trapped or held somewhere in the system untill a large enough bubble accumulates or the boat rocks allowing the bubble to move into the injection pump shutting you down.

As Marin points out do not ignore leaks like this. Next time could be more than just a nuisance.

Glad you were ok, just deal with the leak.

That tiny air leak you noticed likely is allowing air into the fuel system. That air is getting trapped or held somewhere in the system untill a large enough bubble accumulates or the boat rocks allowing the bubble to move into the injection pump shutting you down.

As Marin points out do not ignore leaks like this. Next time could be more than just a nuisance.

Glad you were ok, just deal with the leak.

Thanks C-
I'm on it.
Eeber

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom