2007 mainship trawler electrical transfer switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

Can anyone tell me how the power transfer switch works on the 2007 34 ft mainship trawler.

The manual ( as usual with Mainship is useless) and they did not provide a product guide or manufacturer name.

There is source 1 and source 2 switches on the AC electrical panel representing the two 30amp power connectors. There is also a transfer swich with a blocking mechanism does not allow you engage when both sources switches are on. very strange can someone explain how this system is supposed to work

if its like the 390, you can hook your power cords up at the bow or the stern. there is also a circuit breaker at both locations. on your power distribution panel, one set of switches is for the stern hookup and one for the bow. Turn the switch on for wherever you connect the cords
John
2003 390 Mainship

Can anyone tell me how the power transfer switch works on the 2007 34 ft mainship trawler.

The manual ( as usual with Mainship is useless) and they did not provide a product guide or manufacturer name.

There is source 1 and source 2 switches on the AC electrical panel representing the two 30amp power connectors. There is also a transfer swich with a blocking mechanism does not allow you engage when both sources switches are on. very strange can someone explain how this system is supposed to work

Source 1 and 2 are your shore power cords and the two lights are for them respectively. There are breakers at the shore power connection points on the inside of the transom for each leg well.

The switches are in Shore Power position or Gen Set Position not both at the same time. So start your Gen Set, Shut off the Shore power breakers and slide the switch cover over. Not strange, it keeps you from mixing shore power and your Gen Set.

No the 34t is not like the 390. We do not have forward shore power connections in the bow I'm sorry to say. I kinda of like that although I never go in bow first but a day will come I'm sure.

Yes I understand the transfer switch for the Gen Set. it will lock out the two sources when the gen set in on.

The confusion is with the other transfer switch. ( yes, I have two transfer switches one for the Gen set/source 1 and one for source 1/2 transfer.)

The source 1/2 transfer switch has a blocking mechanism that does not allow you engage when both sources switches are on. How this works is my question.

Yes I understand the transfer switch for the Gen Set. it will lock out the two sources when the gen set in on.

The confusion is with the other transfer switch. ( yes, I have two transfer switches one for the Gen set/source 1 and one for source 1/2 transfer.)

The source 1/2 transfer switch has a blocking mechanism that does not allow you engage when both sources switches are on. How this works is my question.

Attached is a picture of my 110 panel. The two block outs are in the middle. One blocks out one leg the other blocks out the other. Switch the two outer swiches to off (which disconnects from the shore power cables) and the lights under them will go dark but the two center lights, one for shore power and the other for GenSet will stay orange, if the GenSet is running and the shore power is still pluged in. With the outer two in the off position slide the covers to the out side which covers the shore power switches. You now can switch the two inner most switches to the on position and that connects the two legs on the panel to your GenSet. The four lights under the main breakers will all be orange untill you disconnect from shore power or throw the breakers on the transom above the shore power connections.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 12V Panel removed.jpg
    12V Panel removed.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 166
This is a very convenient feature that I just learn after having a professional electrical audit to my boat! 2007 34 Mainship
Basically you can use two different 30amps shore power connectors to power you boat at the same time (shore power 1 and shore power2) this is convenient when running AC, water heater electric stove or any other simultaneously with out going over 30 amps on each shore power line. When doing this you should have the transfer OFF. Otherwise you will be overloading your system with 220 volts.*
When using only ONE shore power connector (either 1 or 2) , you transfer the power to the other line by switching the transfer to ON. Now you are using 110volts on *one 30 amps cable for all your electrical needs. If you abuse the load you could overheat the cable, or shut off the breaker at the marina or your electrical panel.*
In other words by turning the transfer to "OFF" you are splitting your electrical panel into two independent panels.*
I hope I made may self clear as I'm not to electrical savvy !

Good luck!

Uka

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom