New to the Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybadger

Vessel Name
HoneyBadger
Vessel Make
1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
All new to the forum i have been boating all my life and after a 900 mile trip with a friend last winter, Sold my gas sucking power boat and bought a wooden hull trawler " crazy yea some days i think so" Glad to be a part of the community !!

Welcome aboard! Another NC boater... YAY! I'm sure we'll cross wakes eventually.

Thanks Gonzo yea i hope to have my project finished by the first week of july, I am leaving this week taking a 40fter to Maryland for a friend then rushing back to work on the Honey Badger.

Got some pictures of the honey badger?

A few photos of the Honeybadger

These are a few photos of the Honeybadger when i bought her missing windows hatches and i host of other items, and photos as she evolved.

Attachments

• 100_4535.jpg
    100_4535.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_4526.jpg
    100_4526.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1283.jpg
    DSCN1283.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 87
Honey Badger is pretty badass. Honey Badger don't take not sh*t, it just takes what it wants. Honey Badger don't care! :rofl:

Yea me being a IED and EOD tech my buddys started calling me the HoneyBadger and it stuck, So did the boat name !

As you begin to cruise you will learn that folks being called by the boats name is quite common.

Its easier for folks to remember your boat than names .

We cruise south late in the season (central heat , auto pilot) and in the AM I use a ski doo warm suit coverall to get up the anchors.
Huge zippers mean it can be temp modulated much of the day.

I remember one time the bride drug my suit out of the marina laundry dryer . and the lady at the next machine ."oh your'e Sea Gypsy".

Just the way it is .

Last winter i helped my best friend head south Dec27th it was snowing here ! And i was wearing FrogToggs over my dry suit. Keeping me dry and warm. After about 5 days of being wet. I felt it needed to dry " i know about other things not laundry" i thought what would 4 mins in the dryer hurt. As a pulled the suit out a guy beside me started laughing it was now size 4-T would fit my grandson that was about 3 months old, Then i slowly checked the tag " Never machine DRY" oops ! The Honeybadger now reads tags before drying !

Honeybadger,
Welcome to the forum, I think you will like it here.

Welcome aboard Honey Badger! Looks like you've got a fun project there. What kind of engine do you have?

Hopcar it is a 4-154 Perkins , It was a dry stack but i have changed it over to wet set but the engine is fresh water cooled with a keep cooler so i have a diverter valve to adjust the amount of water into the muffler , the pump is 1 inch Jabsco and was told at 2000 rpm it pumps 28 gallons a min, On my dads diesels he would divert part of the water out the side of the boat to relive back preasure on the engine not sure what is a good number to push out or keep ?

Welcome Honeybadger!! I'm finishing up my project this month! What length is your boat? Homebuilt? Good Luck, Jolly Time

Shes 24+ feet with a 9ft beam, 2 ft 2 inches draft full keel with a stainless shoe bow to the rear of the rudder. I was built in a yard outside up in harkers island with a band saw a hand saw and a skill saw, Not to high tech.

Welcome. I like it, it's kind of the same style as my brothers boat. 41 ' baybuilt. Is it cyphress planked.Larry

It is Juniper over white oak frames, It has been on the hard for 6 months now and i am so ready to finish her and stroll down the waterway !!!!!!

Ok i am preping the topside and the upper hull for paint, Color seems to be the problem i am keeping the wheel house White with one accent stripe down the side. What color should the hull be, Navy blue with red accents, Red with Navy accents, Green with some Gold/Yellow accents,Sea Foam Green with white accents, Toss out any ideas guys i am needing input, i want the traditional trawler/tug look but classy.

HeyGonzo i was up at River Bend yesterday picking up a ships wheel for the Honey Badger.

honeybadger,
I like your boat a lot and I think it's not over powered and the engine matches it's 10 knot hull very well.

Eric Henning
Thorne Bay Ak

The gray hull is actually rather nice I think. Might want to go to a bt darker gray though.

Green hull could look nice, too. Darker green, not a wishy-washy pastel green.

Black hull would be very workboat-looking which could have character appeal, but I think with that very tall cabin a dark hull of any color would make the boat look awfully top heavy.

So I'd vote far a nice gray with black bottom paint and a red bootstripe.

Healhustler of this forum is very accomplished with Photoshop and you may know good graphics guys yourself. Perhaps they can do some color changes on your photos to show you what some combinations would look like.

Dark colors will show hull imperfections more so than the lighter colors. What ever color you go with, keep some extra paint for touch up. That first scratch is always the worst.

ManyBoats made a point i could lighten the hull then darken with another color the cabin reverse the scheme the interior is going to be light shades of any colors and some stain grade but not alot.But reversing the colors darker up and lighter lower adds a whole new idea to changing the look.

Larry M , I grew up on the water my father had Sportfishing boats his saying was " Untill you crunch the dock, Scrape another boat and run aground, You havent been boating long enough.

Ok i am preping the topside and the upper hull for paint, Color seems to be the problem i am keeping the wheel house White with one accent stripe down the side. What color should the hull be, Navy blue with red accents, Red with Navy accents, Green with some Gold/Yellow accents,Sea Foam Green with white accents, Toss out any ideas guys i am needing input, i want the traditional trawler/tug look but classy.

Welcome aboard Honey Badger. It seems to me there is only one color theme to be considered. Purple and gold!!! :socool:

Oh Man that triggered a song in my head Silver and Gold so now i am walking around the house singing a Holiday song by Burl Ives, Silver and Gold well it's better than YMCA that was last weeks song heard it and it was burnt into my mind. After 50 years of living i am still a kid at heart !

So I'd vote for ... black bottom paint and a red bootstripe.

Good choice. Obviously a man of discerning taste. :) All of our boats (Current two below. Wife: What have I told you about dragging sheets) have had black bottoms and Pettit Burgundy (not red, but close enough) boot tops.

"Red [boot top] and black [bottom], my favorite color scheme"

(Apologies to Richard Thompson "1952 Vincent Black Lightning")

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN0180.jpg
    DSCN0180.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 74
The Black Shadow was a scream'in demon in a straight line but it had small weak brakes and probably felt like it had a rubber frame in serious cornering.

Handsome things though and I lusted after them too ....in 1960.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom