fly bridge extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypSea Lynn

Vessel Name
GypSea Lynn II
Vessel Make
1978 Californian 34
Has anyone extended the upper hard deck aft to the stern. I am up in Poulsbo WA if anyone has advice on how I could get this done.
Thanks

GypSea Lynn,

Welcome! Good to see another 34 Californian aboard!

I don't have any advice to offer, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I once looked into the price for a FB hardtop, but my interest cooled when I got quotes in the $10,000 range.

There is a company in Bellingham called Valhalla Marine Innovations that does this sort of work. They have a product line called The Tempest which are cockpit hardtops and bridge extensions. I've seen them installing bridge hardtops on a few boats over the years but know nothing about the company or the cost. Website is Valhalla Marine Innovations

I was thinking 8-10 was about the going rate from the last boat show in Seattle but have not see it done on a Californian. I am going to keep researching and move forward on getting it instaled this season. Look forward to all your inputs

I recently saw a 34 LRC with an extension covering the cockpit advertised for sale in Portland, OR. It is on Seattle Craigslist. Maybe the current owner has some info for you.

I have see canvas. If I was doing it, I would do it mys.elf. You can buy 4' by 8' sheete of fiber glass already laid up and epoxy it to a marine plywood, cut to size, add trim with ss support. That is what I did. If you want to crow bend then rip the back side which will take the strength out of the wood. When you hane the curve bend fill the rips with epoxe to added back strength. Mess but not that hard. Cost a few hundred bucks. But I am cheap.:D

I saw a guy with an Albin 27 who did something like this, only he used a product from a commercial sign company. Looked like white painted aluminum sheets bonded to thin foam. Strong, but light, weather resistant as it is made for outdoor use. Trimmed with aluminum channel, it look very professional. Also had some insulation value. I plan to look into it next year.

GypSea Lynn,
Are you contemplating this to provide cover to the cockpit,or to extend the usable flybridge area, or both? If the first only, it could be done in canvas or light solid material, cantilevered and/or supported by a frame, but if you want to be able to party on it, it has to be substantial and well supported.
One advantage either way is the opportunity to enclose the cockpit with mesh type covers which can be rolled up, offering all round weather protection. BruceK

I am looking to extend the upper deck aft to the stern to make more room up top to sit and enjoy drinks with friends.

Or you could do as Bruce mentioned, and which I did to my Clipper 34, which used to have a rather inadequate cockpit canopy, and merely extend it over the whole cockpit plus the side-decks, for a fraction of the cost of a hardtop. Then you could entertain in the cockpit with easier access to the frig and food than perched up top. Works for us. See the avatar pic & below...it also provides better weather and sun protection to the windows...best thing we ever did to the boat.

Attachments

• Image033.jpg
    Image033.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Image042.jpg
    Image042.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Image109-2.jpg
    Image109-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 236
  • Image107-1.jpg
    Image107-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Image106-1.jpg
    Image106-1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Well Done, Peter B. Is the frame welded stainless tubing? And did you do it yourself or hire it out?

Neat work Peter, the cockpit is fully covered, and you created covered side decks "Europa" style.
Our flybridge extends over the entire cockpit, we sometimes relax on the flybridge at anchor, but more often in the cockpit,with overhead cover (Australia is the world melanoma leader so we need it)and protection from breeze from the bow, and access to supplies inside. Extending the flybridge has advantages up and down, and is a good idea. A good boat builder/shipwright should be able to build it, it will need support from strong areas below. Is the constructor/importer still around, is there a Europa version you can copy? BruceK

Well Done, Peter B. Is the frame welded stainless tubing? And did you do it yourself or hire it out?
It's good quality welded alloy, but looks almost like stainless actually, and I did get professionals to do this job. With some things it is just not worth it to try and do it yourself, and it is so much quicker and a better finished product done professionally. I do all my own wiring, electrical gadget/instrument installation and plumbing, servicing and so on, but some things I draw the line at.

Good job Peter,
You saved a ton of weight topside and I'll bet the shade is very nice. I could do that to Willy except for my dinghy considerations. I especially like your outboard edges the way they turn down. I never would of noticed in your avatar. Good job Peter.

Extended cockpit roof

The previous owner on my Californian 34 added a fiberglass top a few years ago and I believe it was over $10k.

It makes a huge difference with a new electric davit mounted there and I carry my Bauer sailing dingy up on top and it provides a great roof for shade and rain.

The addition was very professional and you cannot tell that it did not come out of the factory without the addition.

I will be up at the boat in Alameda tomorrow and Thursday and will take a couple more pictures and post them if you want.

I found one in my archives that gives a good view

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 289
Peter: Super design and work! I'll be at work photo-shopping that design on my own boat. Unobtrusive, elegant, tasteful. Got any other photos of different angles?

gwkiwi: The hardtop looks like the dinghy or davit are no challenge for it.

Peter: Super design and work! I'll be at work photo-shopping that design on my own boat. Unobtrusive, elegant, tasteful. Got any other photos of different angles?
Thanks guys, we are very pleased with it...now let's see...other pics from different angles...? Hmmm...

Some of these were before the conversion/addition, so you can see it made quite a difference. One shows the bare frame before the canvas was applied over the side-deck.

Attachments

• Image081.jpg
    Image081.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Image095.jpg
    Image095.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Image091.jpg
    Image091.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 218
  • Image105-1.jpg
    Image105-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 216
  • Image108-1.jpg
    Image108-1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
gwkiwi

That looks like what I am trying to do. Any other information you have on who did the work would be great.

Mark

Peter's extensions are excellently designed and executed but there is one thing that needs to be remembered, and that is that they are fabric. If good quality fabric is used and the thread used to stitch the seams is Gore Tenara then the extensions should be good for a long, long time. But depending on the climate, fabric may not be the best choice for these kinds of extensions.

Up here, where it rains 24/7/366, unless the fabric is cleaned and treated on a regular (read "frequent") basis, it can become and algae and stain farm. To say nothing of the effects seagull droppings will have on it if the boat is kept outside.

We have a lot of upward-facing canvas on our boat--- sailing dingy cover, full flying bridge cover, windlass cover, etc. And it is an ongoing task to keep it clean and in good condition.

If we had a boat that would benefit from having an aft deck cover or aft and side deck covers added, for our environment I would go with hard covers rather than fabric.

So something to consider and the factors in the decision will have much to do with the environment the boat lives in.

If we had a boat that would benefit from having an aft deck cover or aft and side deck covers added, for our environment I would go with hard covers rather than fabric.

I wonder what the weight difference would be.

Probably depend greatly on what you wanted to do with the extension. If you just want sun and weather protection a hard-top extension could be made pretty lightly. But it seems a shame to have that space and not be able to use it for anything other than a cover, so making it strong enough to hold stuff or people or both would probably come with a not-insubstantial weight price. To the point where I'd start thinking about getting some stability data, particularly if I intended to use the extension for stowage containers, a dinghy, etc.

On the other hand, if one is adding a strong hard top extension to a boat that already has a version with such an extension installed by the manufacturer, a stability study may not be important. For example several models of Grand Banks were available in tri-cabin, sedan, and Europa configurations. All using the same hull, same basic cabin dimensions and construction, engines, tanks, etc. So if one had a GB36 Sedan and wanted to add a hardtop extension over the aft deck strong enough to carry a dinghy on, you'd be doing what the factory already did to create the GB36 Europa.

Marlin
I have been in contact with valhalla in Bellingham it looks like they may have a good deck I could walk on I will keep you all updated

Peter - They look great and I like the design. What's the height off the deck? I'm 6'4" and have spent a lifetime knocking my head on boats. Not sure I'd want to duck everytime I was on deck.

I'm 5'10", and can walk all round the boat without coming close to touching any part of the frame, so plenty of headroom. Having said that, not many folk are 6'4", so I suspect you will always need to exercise care on any vessel, to avoid having chips taken out of your head, Chip (aka Anode). Sorry - couldn't resist that one.....

I dug around some more and am unable to find out who did the flybridge extension, I did find the receipts when the engines were replaced with new John Deere units a few years ago.

The boat did spend quite a bit of time in Ft Lauderdale before being shipped to San Francisco where the engine work was done and I would ass-u-me that was where the extension, additional AC's and davit system's were added.

Sorry I didnt have more.

Well I finaly got the extention finished here are some pictures. The final wieght is 250-275 Lbs all alluminium and is 6ft X 11ft. Also has two LED lights inside. Here are some pics. :dance:

Attachments

• IMAG0715.jpg
    IMAG0715.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG0717.jpg
    IMAG0717.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0716.jpg
    IMAG0716.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 2012-12-149516-22-5095879.jpg
    2012-12-149516-22-5095879.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 2012-12-149516-17-5095910.jpg
    2012-12-149516-17-5095910.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 195
  • 2012-12-149516-17-5995853.jpg
    2012-12-149516-17-5995853.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
That looks very nice. Fits well on the boat and adds to it. You will not regret that addition.

Looks nice! I think you'll get a lot of use from it. Good addition to the boat.

I am "Europa-izning" mine as Peter B has done, but with Aluminum. I am adding a "radar arch" as well for more electronics.

I am having a local aluminum boat builder do mine, it runs right about 10K here....

I am taking it in to have it done after sockeye and hunting season since I dont have the time to have it done before then. Sometime this winter I will have it done and will post pictures...

I am "Europa-izning" mine as Peter B has done, but with Aluminum. I am adding a "radar arch" as well for more electronics.

I am having a local aluminum boat builder do mine, it runs right about 10K here....

I am taking it in to have it done after sockeye and hunting season since I dont have the time to have it done before then. Sometime this winter I will have it done and will post pictures...

You certainly won't regret it Super D, we still say its the best improvement we ever did to Lotus. Frame and canvas/aluminium, whichever, it just works...
That job on GypSea Lynn looks great, but I would have taken it along the side deck in our climate. Maybe shade not such an issue there..?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom