View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Diagnosis Game

Ok, just for fun, let's see how quick you guys can be to solve a problem that stumped me for a while (most of them do), though I finally figured it out and the engine is running great now.

My port engine would not come up to full power, it was stopping at about 1650 rpm, WOT is normally about 2350 rpm.

Here is the background. I want to give you all I know, because some of it led me down the wrong track for a while.

Perkins 4-236. Velvet Drive Transmission.

A few months back my son accidentally put water in the fuel tank on that side when he was supposed to be filling the water tanks. I pumped down until I got clean fuel, then ran a portable polishing system on it for 18 hours. It picked up maybe 1 oz of water.

After hurricane Dennis in 2005 I had that strut, shaft and prop replaced. It has always been a little tougher to turn, I've had both the engine and the strut aligned twice, but I'm still not wild about the alignment, that stuffing box needs attention a lot more than the STB one does.

No black smoke. The engine is not overheating.

Prop is clean.

The STB throttle has always not quite aligned with the port when both engines are running at the same speed.

Rather than telling you up front all the trouble shooting stuff, which would give it away, ask me questions and I will tell you if I did it, and the results.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote