View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I dip my tanks w a wood dowel about 4' long. I have aluminum tanks w an aluminum pipe plug on top of the tank right below a 4"x5" "hatch" in the salon.
I pull up the little hatch, unscrew the plug and insert the rod (dowel). What could be simpler?

I use the same hole to insert a 1/8" copper tube down into the lowest corner of the tank, hooked up to a little pump. I turn on the pump and pump out about a quart of fuel (long enough to allow any water at the bottom of the tank to reach the plastic container). I usually use the 1 gallon water jugs and when I hold it up I can see exactly how much water WAS in the tank unless it is all water. That happened once. I usually get 2 or 3 drops of water.

Laker,
Did AT install that system in your boat? Too bad they didn't install the fuel delivery outlet in the lowest corner of the tank. Your system guarantees that there will be some water always in one corner of the tank. With the outlet in the lowest corner of the tank you would pump out the water as it accumulated and normally that would be in very small amounts that would be trapped by the filter. That way generally speaking there would never be any water in the tank. And of course I assume you normally leave the sight tube valves closed.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote