Big Boats in Iowa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
Im sure nobody has really given any thought to the notion that big boats exist in the tall corn state, even passing thru. To confirm that notion, I would bet that my trawler is one of a Iowa fleet that could be counted on your fingers and toes (maybe leave the toes out). I would probably extend that statistic to in clude the border states of Illinois and Wisconsin's Mississippi harbors. I can think of no more than a handfull of trawlers that exist in the Quad Cities. (Where I-80 crosses the Miss. This is by far the largest metropolitan area on the Miss river between St Louis and the Twin Cities. I didn't include the boats of the Metropolitan Twin Cities. Here is an example of the big boats that transit north in the spring and south in the fall. The first I was told is 125 feet. Power is a pair of V12 Cats of 750HP each. Heading to Stillwater MN from last night. I have always been surprised at stuff I see pass thru here. I can imagine that the folks on the coasts might be even more surprised.

Attachments

• big boats 001.jpg
    big boats 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,218
  • big boats 006.jpg
    big boats 006.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
They don't care. They don't even know where Iowa and Missourah are.
Pass the butter please.

Big boats in Iowa? Big combines fits better. Do'nt leave the toes out....I can't count that way. Yes I'm surprised.

It's amazing how beautiful and proper that boat looks from the bow and how ugly it is at the stern. At least it's not high.

Thanks for the geography lesson.

It's amazing how beautiful and proper that boat looks from the bow and how ugly it is at the stern.

I've met a few women like that.:ermm:

Capn Craig,

Still hoping to add (1) more trawler to the area... No luck yet. Let me know if hear of any!

Thanks,
-Steve

How about a big boat named "IOWA". KJ

Attachments

• iowa1.jpg
    iowa1.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 170
MIMI is a regular at Bradford Marine where I work, stored here undercover in the winter between cruising trips with the owners.
That is a Bradford paint job on her that cost more than many boats that I have sold, Mimi gets hauled here for bottom painting and routine maintenance.

Attachments

• BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 238
This time of year we get 1 or 2 BIG ones passing by everyday!! Saw a 125 footer today and a 200 footer yesterday. Hurricane season is coming and they're all heading north!

Mimi

Direct from the rumor mill. Mimi belongs to Stanley Hubbard. I hear he owns a MLB team in Minnesota. I think they are called the 'Twins' also associated with Hubbard Broadcasting and Direct TV. Mimi is one of three boats in the Hubbard family. Also Summer Song and Wind Song.

Eric, You have a keen eye for style. I aggree that the front front of the boat has style. It actually looks to me to be three boats joined together. The middle and back boat ddon't seem to match the front. The back reminds me of a passenger ferry, not that I have seen many.

Here is another that stayed the night at the marina I call home, on her way south last fall.

Attachments

• Fall southbound.jpg
    Fall southbound.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 540
This one in Craig is a little bit like it but w a little bit more class and looking a little bit less like a bus.

This is the boat I posted a picture of w a Navy anchor.

Attachments

• STH71221.jpg
    STH71221.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,366
They don't care. They don't even know where Iowa and Missourah are.
Pass the butter please.

I was in Iowa for a month one day. Flat. Don't like flat. Reminded me of west Texas but with corn.

Spent my senior year in high school in Missouri. More flat, but at least it has some interesting history along the river.

Like Eric says, it's nice to look down on from 35,000 feet and 500mph or so. But who'd we get them from? France in the Louisiana Purchase, wasn't it? Maybe we should offer to sell them back. Sell that midwest stuff back to France, and Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California back to Spain (or Mexico, whoever bids the highest) and we could eliminate our huge national debt in one fell swoop.

Then we could sell New England back to the UK and we'd have a surplus. But we should keep Maine. Maine is cool and looks like it has great boating. So that stays. The rest of it can go.

Last edited:
But we should keep Maine. Maine is cool and looks like it has great boating. So that stays. The rest of it can go.

Gee, thanks Marin. :socool:

The United States of Maine and Washington. What a plan.

Now, if you could figure out how to tax rain and fog, everybody could live for free!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Geeeezzzz...those guys from the frontier sure are pushy....:D

Back
Top Bottom