Paint color...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeSailor

Guru
Vessel Name
Honey Badger
Vessel Make
42' CHB Europa
Speaking of paint; Any idea on how to determine the proper shade of white on a boat? I have an older (1980) CHB Europa and I suspect the white that I'm going to need to paint my wheel house is an off-white (cream-white?). I'm suspecting that pure white is too bright.

Any thoughts?

Greetings,
All the paint manufacturers give out free color charts. Get a few and do a comparison in various light conditions. Can't remember which but one has a hole in the center of the paint chip to make matching easier. Oh, and get 3 or 4 "opinions" by different folks.

It's Awl Grip that has the holes in their color cards.

RTF, I once sort of met your avatar. I was hired to photograph Victor Borge in his dressing room after a concert. Groucho was there. I was stunned. I hadn't know he was going to be there. I don't think anyone spoke to me. I was just a fly on the wall with a camera.
A couple of years later I named a boat "Duck Soup".

Somesailor, please let us know your decision on paint color. My '83 Taiwan Trawler also has a similar color as yours. I picked up a gallon of Bright White (Schooner I recall) a few years ago, but it is "too white" :).

When I was redoing my window frames, I bought some Brightside gloss white and found it too white. I got a small can of the same paint in a buff color and did a mix until it was very close.

It did not take much to tone down the white to where I needed it.

JohnP

You will never get an exact match; just do your best to come as close as you like. But if you paint the entire boat, no one but you will ever know....:)

When I was redoing my window frames, I bought some Brightside gloss white and found it too white. I got a small can of the same paint in a buff color and did a mix until it was very close.

It did not take much to tone down the white to where I needed it.

JohnP

John, that's a great idea. Gonna give it a try.

I actually painted a small test area with Brightside White (plain old white) and it matched perfectly so I guess as long as I stay away from the blue tinted whites I'll probably be OK. You can't tell from the dock which area I painted so that's close enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom