Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
ben2go
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
I've used water temperature readings often in the Gulf Stream. Higher temperatures in the GS reflect the stronger currents which can be used to your advantage or disadvantage.
Good point.I had been advised of that previously.Thanks for the reassurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Just don't be too quick to rule out the value of an autopilot. With a slow boat on a long trip the pilot will relieve you of a lot of "tedium" and stress, will allow you to concentrate more on some other aspects of cruising such as sightseeing, checking the charts, radar if you have it, eating your lunch, etc.
No it is not necessary, but I believe it's one of the best additions I made to my boat. We named the autopilot "Abe" because Abe freed the slaves.
I am considering an auto pilot.I looked at a boat that a disgruntled owner was ready to rid himself of.It had everything I need for my boat,plus a few nice additions.As far as auto pilot,I could always say," here honey,take the wheel."LOL

Good ole Abe.Quite a unique fellow to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The most important item for a single handed run would be a well mounted OVERSIZED midship cleat.

In a lock its quite easy to operate with one line , and ride the slider up or down.

I have zero ideas how a single-hander could use a lock with out a midship cleat.

FF
I don't think I'll ever go solo 100% of the trip.I had planned a midship cleat just outside the helm window and one on the opposite side just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
LOL!!! We adopted the name a friend of ours, who sails in Jamaica, gave her autopilot... Fred (Fu**ing Remarkable Electronic Device)
That is hilarious.I almost lost my drink through my nose.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote