View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
maninboat

The old props are bad enough they can't be re-pitched. The boat has two of the cat 3208N engines that make 210 hp a piece. With the old props on the boat the boat was turning up to the rev limit on the engines (3000rpm) and only making about 16knots at that rpm. at cruise (2400rpm) the boat was at around 10knots and pushing lots of water. I had a spare set of props on the boat but both sets of props are not worth reworking based on bad electrolysis and worn out blades. Looks like the prior owner didn't believe in zincs. The reason I am asking for information from people with the same engine setup on the same boat is to see what performance they get and see if the props they have are the same as what my mechanic and prop guy are recommending. The problem with just asking the experts is they all seem to have a slightly different idea about what prop the boat should have. Boat diesel.com says 23 by 24. My prop guy says 22 by 24. Another calculator says 23 by 23. I don't want to drop the 3000 on new props without knowing what others with the same setup and same boat are running and what their boats are doing. With the old props turning up to rev limiter on the engines it's difficult to tell how far off we are.
maninboat is offline   Reply With Quote