psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
[QUOTE=Larry M;87230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The problem w for and aft anchoring is that when the wind comes from the side the tension on the rodes is high and at least one anchor is going to drag.../QUOTE]

That's why we use a small stern anchor. When we were on the Pacific coast of Mexico and Central America we would use stern anchor to keep the bow or stern into the swell. A lot of the anchorages are open road-stead. We have a 25 lb danforth with a float at the bitter end. If high side winds or a squall come up, we would either drag the stern anchor or drop the rode. We made sure we didn't have to worry about other boats when we did this. We never fouled with our running gear although we did get tangled up in a gill net once that had set behind us. Retrieval/setting is easy with the dinghy.

Here's a picture of Horizons, 105' supply vessel for Tyson's Choice. I shot the picture when we were in Costa Rica. They also have a stern anchor out. I didn't see what size it was but I'm sure it was smaller than their bow anchor.
excellent post with the total concept of anchoring...the sign of an avid and regular cruiser....at least in some parts of the world where all this works out ok due to bottom, depth, etc...etc...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote