Painting your anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
We seldom use our anchor, and in fact if it's in the water it's because we're a volunteer committee boat at our sailboat races, or we're waiting for a tow. :eek:

Meanwhile, this thing sits out there on its , looking very shippy but still nothing to write home about. I get anchor-envy looking at some of the stainless beauties the new boats have, and while I am not expecting miracles, I wonder if a coat of paint might clean up the bow a bit.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

We seldom use our anchor, and in fact if it's in the water it's because we're a volunteer committee boat at our sailboat races, or we're waiting for a tow. :eek:

Meanwhile, this thing sits out there.. looking.. nothing to write home about. I get anchor-envy looking at some of the stainless beauties... I wonder if a coat of paint might clean up the bow a bit.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
What a great idea! We use our CQR quite often;why not pretty it up (pending getting a Sarca). I can`t think of a downside and will add it to the list. Maybe use brush applied silver paint, re-coat as needed over a good base coat (see thread on "painting galvanized steel"). I painted a gal steel bow plate on a previous boat with silver one pack epoxy over etch primer,looked much better, just never thought of doing the anchor itself. BruceK

Just repainted mine dark grey. Not sure it will stay nice very long since I anchor a lot but in the meantime it looks great!

If you ever use it then the paint is toast. If you're not going to use it then why have it?
No, I have never had any thoughts about painting my anchor.

As Chip said, the first time you use the anchor that will be the end of the nice paint job. I suspect that's one reason the polished stainless look has caught on. Although I have yet to meet someone who anchors reguarly and has a polished or painted anchor. Even the polished stainless will scratch and get messy looking if you use it.

Recently spray painted our tired looking CQR with a couple of coats of silver TremClad rust paint and it looked good on the bow platform but, as others above have said, after a few nights on the hook the business end certainly doesn't look pristine anymore but the shank still looks nice. It was a cheap and quick project that has had minimal benefits. But then again, I had minimal expectations. (I did it one other time when I was selling a previous boat just to make the anchor look a little better.)

I had my hinged plow sand blasted and then had Line X spray the two pieces with black bedliner. I drilled a piece of SS round stock for the shaft and installed it with SS cotter pins. It held up great for a couple of years other than some lifting around the shackle hole and minor wear on the tip. Yes, we used it quite a bit. Eventually the hinge froze solid and I replaced it. A solid anchor would be a better candidate I suppose.

Retired (unlike me!)
img_87188_0_10d5157f7eeb40c9593d100ebc3cf266.jpg

I have painted my "backup" Danforth a couple of times. Rustoleum silver. Yes when I use it some of the paint comes off, but with the paint I don't get rust stains on the deck, etc.

I've never considered paining my anchor any more than I've considered painting my wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. If you use it, the paint won't hold up. If you don't use it, everyone will know your boat is a "dock queen".

An anchor (and chain) that's obviously been used is a badge of honor. ;)

I say why paint an anchor when you can take it to town and get it galvanized. I do'nt have that option here in Alaska but most of you probably have a galvanizer close by.

Back
Top Bottom