Single hand the loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtytom

Veteran Member
Have a 43 sundeck and would like to have input about single handling the loop?

DT

Go for it...! Lot's of help out there for the asking.

I have always heard the biggest issue with sigle handling the loop is the locks....assuming you can anchor and dock singlehanded.

Weather and some places the current will catch a singlehandler in a bad spot...just be VERY weather/wind/current conscious.

Just spent two weeks around Deltaville VA and found as long as I had a dockmaster could get around well. Anchored out in Mobjack Bay for a few days and it was great.:dance:

thanks

DT

DT, I would recommend you visit the AGLCA website and consider becoming a member. There is lots of info from folks that have actually done the loop and some have done it a couple of times. It's a great group and even if you don't join, many of their blogs are available through the website. Tell them Chuck sent you if you decide to join. Chuck

Thanks, my wife does not want to stay on the boat for weeks at the time so will study passages I can handle by my self so that it does not takes more than 18 months to do the loop.

DT

If you have a full lower helm that also has a door to the side decks next to said lower helm and a good midships cleat you should have no problem single handing through most of the locks. Some up in the NE are done via holding on to 2 ropes hanging down from the lock wall- those may be challenging to do alone but no problem on the southern locks provided you have a lower helm WITH a door next to it.
Definitely join the AGLCA and participate in their forums and this fall they are having their annual rendezvous down in Alabama on the TN River that would be worth going to.

o that it does not takes more than 18 months to do the loop.

If you keep moving 5 months is more realistic.

Everyone has different tastes , but if we were running it again FL to Charlavoy MI would be out return point.

You might consider the Right loop ,(2-3 months max) which is far shorter , in Canada go East thru the canals Rideau , Richeaeau and eventually exit Lake Champain back into the Hudson River.

Done both and found the Mississippi boring and small boat unfreindly , and the Ten Tom pretty , but again boring.

YRMV

FF

I'm reviving this old thread to add a picture of me singlehanding KaJen through the Wilson lock on the Tennessee River. I am 4,200 miles into the loop and can say that it is a lot of work to do this singlehanded but totally worth it.

img_185958_0_56e552442035fdd2a0e9c32e84c65657.png

Arch

Arch: Your timing to be in the Tennessee tells me you may have camped-out at the AGLCA reunion this year, yes? By now, I imagine you've got just about everything worked out lock routines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom