California delta on the upcoming Independence Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are no detailed charts and (again as DVD said) they'd quickly be outdated as the bottom shifts in the heavy spring flow, or another derelict vessel sinks and becomes a new snag, etc. We slow down when we start to see single digits, so if we do run aground maybe we'll have a shot at getting unstuck.

I followed the Coot builder's (he's familiar with the San Francisco estuary) recommendation for having the transponder connected to its own separate/larger display rather than the smaller readout on the radar/map-plotter screen.

Papa Charlie, you must mean Lost Isle. The incident that brought increased scrutiny was a murder. They are still closed for renovations and I think the latest estimate to reopen is next year.

That's the one and now that you mentioned it, there was a little altercation there. Place can get pretty wild on the weekends. I have only been there during the week. Even then there have been some, well, let us say, some interesting shows put on by the patrons. Still was a nice stop on a hot day.

We purchased our 3218 from a broker in Oxbow and had her moored in Antioch before moving to the PNW in May of 2010. The Delta is an interesting place.

Any pictures resembling me in Mark's link are shear coincidence! I hear place it was a fun place to visit. :nonono: :whistling::rolleyes:

Last time I motored by there a few weeks ago, there were cranes in place but no outward signs of activity. No boats in sight. The buildings looked as if they had not been improved in years.

It was a weekend, so maybe that was a factor.

It's surely not my kind of fun. (Too old, too experienced, and too fat.) On the other hand, watching the sheriff's boats picking off drunk boaters could be entertaining.

Delta Mellllowww!

Attachments

• 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 119
Lost Isle and charts

Lost Isle is still under renovation, There have been issues with docking , ADA access, security requirements and bureaucracy but they are forging on. Charts are available as both the San Joaquin , Sacramento Ship Channel and Sacramento rivers are shipping channels and have maintained bouys and dredged channels. Ships do go all the way to Stockton and Sacramento. The entire delta is charted but most of the sloughs are not dredged anymore so the sounding are not correct. Snags, wrecks, and sandbars can keep you on your toes. Usually the bottom is mud or sand. Areas with current usually have a sand bottom areas without will have mud bottoms. There are actually a few scenic areas and on the old Sacramento starting with Rio Vista a series of very quint towns with lots of colorful history. The California delta is probably one of the finest water sport areas in the world. Wake boarding and skiing in calm warm water is usually available 6 months out of the year. Bass fishing is very popular. Who mentioned Mildred Island? That used to be my secret spot, now the word is out. If the PNW had the California weather it would actually be unbeatable for cruising but it doesn't, If California had the destinations and beauty of the PNW it would unbeatable as well, but it doesn't. So you guys dream of Baha and I dream of PNW and Alaska. We have had a great year for wildlife especially waterfowl. The delta is mostly farm land but it houses many kinds of wildlife. I have seen deer, cougar,"four legged" beaver, fox, otter, muskrat, weasel, raccoon, harbor seals, whales, coyote, red tailed hawk, bald eagle, vulture, osprey many different kinds of falcons. And that doesn't begin to cover all the different kinds water fowl. I'm in Locke , 96miles inland , and we have resident harbor seal. We have current in the delta but the PNW and Alaska have CURRENT, BIG CURRENT.

If California had the destinations and beauty of the PNW it would unbeatable as well, but it doesn't. So you guys dream of Baha and I dream of PNW and Alaska.

That's why every other year we go to SE Alaska, but via cruise ship. We'll be leaving on the 23rd from San Francisco. Last time, departing from SF:

232323232%7Ffp53833%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D353267748%3B336nu0mrj

If the PNW had the California weather it would actually be unbeatable for cruising but it doesn't,

If the PNW had California weather it would no longer have any of the appeal the PNW has because everything that makes the PNW appealing wouldn't exist. It would look like California. When it wasn't flooding and washing into the sea it would be hot, dry, and on fire. :):):)

After a nice day here yesterday it's pouring rain today.

Marin I could use some hot, dry and on fire.........
Not literarily though.

Ah yes, Lost Isle.
Spent many a “lost weekend” there, many years ago before it became so popular. Back then it was a crazy party place, very laid back during the day, but totally wild at night. There was every kind of boat imaginable, (some guy even had an old converted mine sweeper docked next door, don’t know how he got it in there).
There was live music every weekend and they even had a little beach. Everyone was cool and had a good time, no fights or boat hassles. Everyone helped each at the docks.
Then unfortunately, the word got out and it became very popular and it lost a lot of its appeal. Folks were bringing their boats on Thursday evening and leaving them tied up for the whole weekend, so there was no docking space for hours on end. There were lots of fights and boats getting damaged. After a while, we just stopped going there.
Don’t know what it’s like now.

As far as the weather goes, I‘ll take California weather over the PNW any day of the year.
Yes, I’ve been there. Not impressed. Nice scenery, but crappy weather. Cold, wet, and nothing dry enough to start a fire. KJ

Sad to say but Lost Isle is currently still scheduled to remain closed this year, while thet try to raise enough money to pay off the politicans who shut it down, or hire all the security now required to open.

Most of my Delta Boating friends were Lost Isle party people back when (in late 70's, 80's - early 90's, not sure of dates).

My wife remembers it well. I did not have the opportunity... too busy elsewhere back in Lost Isles heydays!

Sad to say but Lost Isle is currently still scheduled to remain closed this year, while thet try to raise enough money to pay off the politicans who shut it down, or hire all the security now required to open.

Mark,

When are you planning to arrive at Mandeville Tip?

Nice day on the river road (south of Sacramento). KJ

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
  • trike.jpg
    trike.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 95
  • winery.jpg
    winery.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 91
  • freeport.jpg
    freeport.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 102
  • al's.jpg
    al's.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 104
We had a lovely weekend anchored out on White Slough.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 93
I stayed at the Dock

Weather was near perfect in Locke. They opened the
Cross Channel locks and now we have easy access to the Meadows, by small boat anyway. Hamburgers and shock Top at Al's and a dingy ride into Meadows. Dock party Sunday night. Monday morning I awoke to a ChrisCraft Caviler aft cabin anchored up stream , towing a ski boat, how many of those are still around. Followed by a immaculate Steelcraft and Hunter sedan cruising together down stream. Anybody remember the old Steelcrafts? Lots of neat old wooden boats out this week end.

locke

Anybody remember the old Steelcrafts?

locke

YES - Steelcraft boats were plentiful in 50's and 60's around LI, NY inland waters!

We just returned from a fun and great swimming/hooking/cruising/BBQing 6 night and 5 day R&R Delta weekend in Stockton area! Lunch at Garlic Bros is always great! Village West Marina high test gas (only one they carry) was $4.49 :thumb:... $5.59 at King Isle - :eek:

Happy Boating Daze - - > This Season!

Sitting here in Alameda reading your expolits in warm weather makes me jealous I am using the heat from the oven cooking me shepherds pie to keep me warm, and you guys arn't that far inland.

I need to just head up river sooner than later and enjoy the warm weather and test my AC units that never get turned on down here.

I think I need some cheese for this wine !!!

Just look for the black boat named "Kiwi Magic" we will be up there soon (hopefully)

We'll be looking for you

Sitting here in Alameda reading your expolits in warm weather makes me jealous I am using the heat from the oven cooking me shepherds pie to keep me warm, and you guys arn't that far inland.

I need to just head up river sooner than later and enjoy the warm weather and test my AC units that never get turned on down here.

I think I need some cheese for this wine !!!

Just look for the black boat named "Kiwi Magic" we will be up there soon (hopefully)
Weather getting hotter, in the mid 90's today, Thank god for Delta breezes in the evening. AC is nice for sure.

This was us in White Slough last weekend. We are looking forward to some hot weather this weekend at the Stockton Ports game. :)

Attachments

• white slough 20120527.jpg
    white slough 20120527.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 125
Hey everyone! I hope to see some of you the week of the Fourth! I'm not sure where we are going to anchor out, we probably won't decide until we get there.

PG,

Meg and I will be out there too. I'm planning the whole week (6/30-7/7), but the Admiral is planning a partial week. We'll definitely be there together 7/2-4 and I'm hoping much more. I plan to shove off June 30. My best friend Gene is still a 'might show' pending family commitments.

I'm thinking of Mildred Island to start, but would consider all options. Three River Reach gets crowded as you approach the 4th, but Horseshoe Bend, Hog Slough, Washington Cut, Secret Lagoon all would be away from the major crowds. Mandeville Mayhem is a must for part of our week, especially for the fireworks on the 3rd. Dswizzler will be there, too.

Scary, are you planning to be at Mandeville? Art, how about you? Jlamb15? Baggliolini? Sure would be nice to meet you guys!

Hope to hear of many more joining in the fun.

Vickie and I are leaving Vallejo and heading up into the Delta early on the 3rd. I'm fueling in Pittsburg and will plan to enter the north end of Mildred Island that evening, if all goes well... After that who knows:). We may stay in Mildred or move on. We plan on being in the Delta until the 6th. Let's all communicate on this thread before and during the week of the 2nd. Looking forward to meeting you folks. Sea ya'!

Due to obligations we may be taking loooong weekend after the 4th. Will let you know if we can make it to the Delta on "The Day" or thereabouts. Enjoy! - Art

We where going to try making it out there this year and meet some of you but family stuff and work intruded upon our plans. Post pics of the get together please.

Matt talked to a friend last night and I think he has now decided to head to Three River Reach on the 30th and stay there through the 4th. That may change. At the moment, we plan to stay anchored out through the 7th or 8th but not sure where. If anyone is still at Mildred on the 4th we'd love to meet up there. Though I am afraid for Matt to see the Grand Banks 42 as that is his dream boat.

Matt talked to a friend last night and I think he has now decided to head to Three River Reach on the 30th and stay there through the 4th. That may change. At the moment, we plan to stay anchored out through the 7th or 8th but not sure where. If anyone is still at Mildred on the 4th we'd love to meet up there. Though I am afraid for Matt to see the Grand Banks 42 as that is his dream boat.

Matt might get to see quite a few of the GBs in Three River Reach. The Bay Area GBs often fill a stretch of that waterway.

Mildred on the 4th sounds great! Hopefully we'll meet up with you before the 3rd somewhere in the Delta. We'll call ya!!!

Back
Top Bottom