Diesel engine hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A convenient thing for you to do is find an AF coolant that is appropriate for both engines and use it exclusively. Chevron has a number of long life choices, so I'd look in the owners manual to find what ASTM spec is preferred by each engine, then go to https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusPDSList
to find the product that fits your needs and is available in your area.

While looking around I find that many manufacturers are pushing the 50/50 mix. I suppose that works fine for topping off. For flush and fill remember that there is going to be some retain in the system that you can't get out. If you refill with 50/50 you will be diluted from the start.

A Lehman 120 holds about 5 gallons of coolant. So for me I'd drain, refill with whatever flush I'm going to use, run and circulate the water up to operating temp, drain again, (fill and flush as many times as needed until it comes out clean) then add 2.5 gallons full strength antifreeze. After that I'd top off with water. (distilled or filtered or tap is a whole 'nother argument) Then, with the half gallon of full strength I can dilute it to 50/50 for top off or leave it full strength as I desire.

I imagine most folks do it that way with both antifreeze and motor oil for drive engines and gensets.

Ken Buck

Thanks Ken,

Bad choice of words on last post. Yanmar was in previous boat and Mitsubishi is in the present Willard. BMW motorcycles recomended 60-40 heavy on the water ( distilled ). I've always adhered to that as it dosn't ever get down to 0 degrees here. I have used Macs 13 ( NAPA ) but I found out it's oil and one time I got too much in and it kinda made a mess. I keep waiting for Baker to prod us onto the holly place topic space but it seems he's tired of that.

Eric

For folks that only need the corrosion and other additives in a warm climate usually 1/3 antifreez 2/3 distilled water will do the job , assuming its fairly fresh.

Neptune P2V-7 had battery start , although later ,when in a Ferry Squadron

(greatest duty in the world!! fly most ANYTHING in the inventory after an open book exam , and 3 TO & landings)

DA Book for the DC 3 had a ground windmill start method , with a second DC 3 in front , to provide the breeze.

In Da DC-3 (C-47) Book was the ONLY place I have ever seen with a book procedure for a one engine takeoff!

Guess the Jap hospitality would have folks really willing to try anything!

FF

FF,

Good grief Fred, can a DC3 actually take off on one engine? I had a low powered ultralight ( 9hp each ) and couldn't fly straight with one engine out and the other at WOT. Could'nt maintain either. I was an electronics technition in VP-31 at North Is San Deigo. Spent lots of time in P2s. We had Martin P5s as well.

Eric

can a DC3 actually take off on one engine?

Don't have enough time (bout 50 hours) in it to say for sure but I think so.

Since Da Book had a procedure someone must have got away with it a number of times.

There is power aplenty , the hassle would be enough rudder volume to keep it lined up as the tail comes up.

Might tale a LOT of runway , not the usual field on a Pacific Island, being overrun.

As a guess it was probably only done during the Berlin airlift where there was NO room on the ground for dead birds , and a long paved runway , and no cargo , and tiny fuel load to get off with.

In my era (60's ) the USN did still have a biplane squadron, at Canoe U to train future cadets to become bus drivers for the airline . It was an Amphibian known as the Yellow Peril!

FF

Back
Top Bottom