Lobstah Wars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes! One of the many things I did as a kid that could have/should have gotten me killed was raiding crap traps in the Chesapeake. Little did I know .... :blush:

Pretty rough and tumble crowd y'all got up there, Dwhatty! I think I'd attach to my mooring with a chain!

As long as you stay away from their traps and don't try to set your own traps in someone else's traditional territory, most lobstermen are "finest kind" and would go out of their way to help you out. No instances of vandalism or thievery to the yaaht crowd around here that I can recall (although my recall is getting to the point it should be recalled).

As long as you stay away from their traps and don't try to set your own traps in someone else's traditional territory, most lobstermen are "finest kind" and would go out of their way to help you out. No

Yeah, my Uncle Dexter (the lobsterman) from Bah Hahbor (Bar Harbor), was one of the nicest poeple you could want to meet, at least until the subject of a lobsterman's income might come up. Then a dark cloud would form and Mr. Hyde would bare his teeth. Even the Feds (IRS) wouldn't mess with these guys. A very hardy breed of Americana.

When I had my boat built in Maine, I asked the builder to put a rope cutter on the shaft. As best as I can recall he said in his best Maine accent, "Are you shore you want to put them things on? They's some around heea that might not like it."
I guess he meant that some folks might think I'd deliberately run over trap lines.

Baltomer Lurker, you did a mistype that is pretty funny.

Line cutters. Wouldn't leave harbor without one after fouling a couple of trap lines, one instance potentially lethal to boat and/or crew. But I try to keep it quiet that we have one (and had two on our previous boat). Do note that a couple of the lobster boats in our Yard have them. Most don't and some have prop cages.

Anectdote from my law practice regarding IRS/lobsterman's income: For estate planning purposes I was quizing a lobsterman client about the potential size of his estate and how his assets were held. He was being pretty cagey about what he had but eventually I thought that I had squeezed all the pertinent info out of him. My final question was whether he was sure he had told me all. He looked around, up and down, and said something like: "Yup. Well, maybe, except for Momma's money. Turns out he had (and this was 30 years or so ago) about $50k cash buried in a can in his back yard for his wife "just in case".

It's easy to look at incidents like this from the comfort of one's armchair and condemn the perpetrator in cases like this. What I know about the lobster industry wouldn't fit on the head of a pin compared to Dave's knowledge from living and working in that part of the world.

But the few lobstermen I had the opportunity to talk to at length in Maine and particularly on PEI made it obvious this is not an easy or secure living. If I correctly understood what I was told, on PEI (don't know about Maine) the licenses that are issued are for a certain area along the island's coast. You can fish in your designated area but not in another one.

Then within that area, each lobsterman has specific places that they fish. This is not anything legal, it's just a territorial assignment that has evolved over time. Some of these spots are handed down from father to son or shared within a family. When I asked what would happen if someone set pots in another person's spot, the answer was always the same: we cut them loose.

It's easy and natural for people outside the industry to say, "Oh, I'd never do that," or "They should be punished for that, it's illegal," or whatever. But I believe it's impossible to understand the challenges, pressures, and concerns of someone who works in an industry--- any industry--- unless you work in it, too.

If my ability to support my family, pay my bills, and keep gas in the car depended on the lobsters I was able to catch in my licensed area and "traditional" spots and someone else started setting pots in my spots and threatening my ability to suport my family, I sure as hell would be cutting pot lines and even sinking boats if it came to a choice between that or letting my family down. It may not be legal, but it's life and if they can do it without being caught and persecuted, more power to them.

Vandalism is another matter, as is damaging property to settle grudges based on something other than "poaching." But protecting your abiilty to make a living, anything goes in my book.

"As long as you stay away from their traps and don't try to set your own traps in someone else's traditional territory, most lobstermen are "finest kind" and would go out of their way to help you out. "

:thumb:

We used to see a little of that in the PNW with Crab fishing in Puget Sound, but nothing to that extreme. It was mostly messing with another guys gear, moving pots and cutting pot lines. There was one family out of Bellingham who got a lot of the blame. They ran a number of boats and the other fishermen would alway tell you, you wanted to stay out of this area or off this bank or your gear would come up missing.

It was hard to tell if they were really messing with you or it was recreational boaters picking your pots. They wouldn't bother to put them back where they were set and would drop them whereever they drifted and you knew they didn't get there by themselves.

On the subject of lobsters: here on the left coast a man was fined $20,000, yes $20,000, for lobster poaching. He was using scuba gear off Laguna Beach and had to surrender his gear plus pay a myriad of fines totalling up to $20,000.

In Point Judith , a local was poaching ,which didn't bother the others too much , except he didn't close the doors.

So later catch would be lost.

One Sat AM a fellow in a long raincoat went down to his boat , and unloaded 5 rounds into the bilge (no one aboard).

Amazing , not one single person saw the incident !!

Simple justice does work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom