Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #66
Pineapple Girl
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Let's not go there...the comment was later explained as an agreement. Had it not been, it would have displayed thorough lack of navigational skills...which I responded to in the tone I took the original post to be...
Just demonstrating my lack of taking time to post intelligently, making myself look like a snide idiot. I'm really very nice and not too bad at navigating. I wasn't in charge of navigating on the Hawaii trip so that trip isn't really relevant. Though thank you for mentioning I am not a total newbie, Al.

When on the bay, we tend to cover the same ground a lot and follow the same course each time. The day we hit the shoal (mentioned above), our boat partners were "in charge" and did not follow the course we suggested (and always take ourselves) that stays well West of the shoal. We had our waypoints in the GPS and could have let the AP take us along our safe route but if I recall our partners decided to sail back and were handsteering (not that you cannot use the AP under sail but anyway, I think I was making myself a sandwich when we hit the shoal )

To Anode's point that the value added by the AP "is worth a lot to him" I agree whole heartedly on that! The one the boat came with works (though the prior owner told us it did not--turned out a wire was loose. Only took me three months to figure THAT out ) but cannot interface with our GPS and since both Matt and I much prefer being able to set the AP steer to a waypoint vs a heading, we are thinking of upgrading to a new AP at some point. Probably right after we win the lottery and redo all the electronics but anyway is on the list.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote