Panama city to Ft Lauderdale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostviking

Veteran Member
Hi!

How long time should I plan to use on going from Panama City to Ft Lauderdale at 6-7 knots on a 34 Fu Hwa Trawler with a 135 hp perkins?

My "new" boat is there, and I need to take it to Ft Lauderdale :)

Never been in the US before, now I am in Norway.

Cheers,
Anders

img_85312_0_e4484c13ce925a8f5398d0e17cc7c4dd.png

This is the rough route. I do not have any sea charts yet, but I am curious about how long I should plan for the trip, marinas anchorages and such.

I plan to go in the beginning of September.

Greetings,
Mr. lostviking. Congratulations on your "new" vessel! I am not familiar with the route you are planning although it looks realistic and viable. The FIRST thing I would highly recommend is tow insurance (I hope you will not need it) BUT cheap at about $130 US/year. I use Boat US.
Secondly,and trust me on this, 80 miles (130 km) a day is a LONG, LONG day at 7 knots so plan on averaging somewhere in the 50 mile range (80 km-7 hrs.) MAXIMUM, if you push hard. You will be plenty tired even at this rate.
Your trip appears to be about 600 miles (1000 km) so plan on at least 10-15 days travel time depending on weather.
Tell us more about your boat please. I'm interested as I'm sure others are as well.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. lostviking. Congratulations on your "new" vessel! I am not familiar with the route you are planning although it looks realistic and viable. The FIRST thing I would highly recommend is tow insurance (I hope you will not need it) BUT cheap at about $130 US/year. I use Boat US.
Secondly,and trust me on this, 80 miles (130 km) a day is a LONG, LONG day at 7 knots so plan on averaging somewhere in the 50 mile range (80 km-7 hrs.) MAXIMUM, if you push hard. You will be plenty tired even at this rate. Your trip appears to be about 600 miles (1000 km) so plan on at least 10-15 days travel time depending on weather.
Tell us more about your boat please. I'm interested as I'm sure others are as well.

Good advice.

If you buy US charts for much of that trip...remember the intracoastal charts/waterway guides have it marked in Statute NOT Nautical miles...so be careful whan calculating difference.

Thank you. I figured about two weeks roughly.

The boat was first listed as a 60k boat, but after a few months, we got if for 28k. It was some divorce thing that needed to be settled with cash fast, so I was on the lucky end of that marriage, hehe!

I do not really know much about the boat. I am still in Norway and I am to pick it up September 1st. This was the ad: NI'O Group Inc (Madeira Beach, FL)

I am taking her to Road Town where I am to live happily ever after with my wife.

Thank you. I figured about two weeks roughly.

The boat was first listed as a 60k boat, but after a few months, we got if for 28k. It was some divorce thing that needed to be settled with cash fast, so I was on the lucky end of that marriage, hehe!

I do not really know much about the boat. I am still in Norway and I am to pick it up September 1st. This was the ad: NI'O Group Inc (Madeira Beach, FL)

I am taking her to Road Town where I am to live happily ever after with my wife.

Who was your agent/surveyor in the US?

The following was on the website...did the boat get hauled for a reasonable hull survey?
"The boat is being sold (as/is where/is) at the dock,the owner will allow a in water survey,and a diver to check out the hull,and running gear.If you have any questions about this vessal please contact me."

I just bought a 1988 Florida trwler and the hull was a mess from hydrolysis/blisters...hope yours is better.

"I am taking her to Road Town where I am to live happily ever after with my wife.

In Tortola?

Will be a more interesting/demanding trip than bumping thru FL thin waters.

FF

Who was your agent/surveyor in the US?

The following was on the website...did the boat get hauled for a reasonable hull survey?

There was really no where to haul it as it was on a lake 8 hours by boat from the nearest haul out point.

I got in writing that the engine is good and everything works. If it does not, I still figure a 60k boat for 28 is a bargain, and it leaves me some cash to fix stuff if needed.

I know it is a risk, but after talking to the broker Jerry Texiero on several occasions it was clear the boat did not take in water and the engine run great.

If I need to fix something (other than engine), I`ll do it cheaply in the DR on my way to the BVI.

If you have a little bit of extra time I would allow another week to explore the areas you will be going through.

Also since there may be mechanical issues you may lose a few days. We recently purchased our boat in Sarasota and brought her back to Panama City. It took us 12 days including 2 weather days and 2 mechanical layover days(things always break on weekends). Keep the first couple of days short in order to wring the boat out or spend a couple of days in PC getting it run.

lostviking, don't forget the peak of the hurricane season is in September. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you are aware and take precautionary steps.

I just did a major portion of the trip you are contemplating this past fall. You can search Biloxi to Cape Coral or just go to my profile and look up threads I've started.

I shot for 8 knts and +/- 100 miles per day. They were LONG days but I was under a time line. Here are the hops I made

Panama City->Carrabelle
Carrabelle->Cedar Keys
Cedar Keys->Clearwater
Clearwater->Boca Grande

I was pushing and if you aren't in as much of a hurry I'd have added another day in there. I wouldn't advise trying to shoot across from Panama City to the West coast of Fl though. Use Carrabelle as a jump off point and go to Steinhatchee or another point up near the Big Bend area depending on weather conditions (this is why I went for Cedar Keys, BAD beam seas on heading for Steinhatchee). Getting a hotel in Clearwater/St. Pete was a VERY nice break from some long rough days aboard. Any questions, feel free to PM. Also you can figure 3 days to get from Cape Coral to Key Largo if you go around the south end of FL. Then another day up to Ft. L-dale.

Hehe, I know hurricane season is on its peak.

This is the whole route I will be taking, but in all I need to be close to florida during hurricane season.

img_85340_0_a60201d8aea797c946e1fddfe7ab93df.jpg

I was thinking about 14 days to Ft Lauderdale, but a month at most if unlucky with weather.
2 months prepping and fixing the boat in Ft Lauderdale area while waiting for the season to end, and then about 2 months down to BVI.

I wouldn't advise trying to shoot across from Panama City to the West coast of Fl though. Use Carrabelle as a jump off point and go to Steinhatchee or another point up near the Big Bend area depending on weather conditions

My boat is in carrabelle, but I thought more people would understand where I was going without a map if i said Panama City.

I am not planning to stress, but I need to do it in less than a month due to business in Ft Lauderdale in October month.

Greetings,
Mr. lostviking. I really DO hope your trust in the broker/seller is not ill founded. I would have her hauled at the earliest opportunity after you take possession and have a condition and engine survey done. At the best, it will give YOU piece of mind that things are as they were advertised/guaranteed. At the worst, it may allow you to start legal proceedings to recover some of your investment if a MAJOR defect is discovered that was not disclosed to you.
I do not mean to suggest you were cheated in any way, shape or form but in todays world there is a certain level of rampant dishonesty.
I wish you well in your endeavors and keep us posted please.

I would have her hauled at the earliest opportunity after you take possession and have a condition and engine survey done. At the best, it will give YOU piece of mind that things are as they were advertised/guaranteed.

Yes, hehe. It is hauled now in Carrabelle. Planning to get the Marina to check her out.

Being from Norway all this surveyor things seems a bit much. I know it is a wise thing to do, but nobody does it here.

28K is not a lot of money for a boat like that (no offense to anyone). I can handle a few downsides if that is to come up, and yes, I will have at least an engine survey before starting the thorny path.

If the boat floats and the engine works, i`ll get there.

Norwegians have rowed across the Atlantic in dinghies and crossed the pacific on rafts before. I figure I will do just fine in a fiberglass, if i read the weather correctly ;)

lostviking;85346Norwegians have rowed across the Atlantic in dinghies and crossed the pacific on rafts before. I figure I will do just fine in a fiberglass said:
Yeah but you can't row or sail this one!:thumb:

Greetings,
Ah, you're a good man Mr. lostviking...Yes indeed the Norwegians DO have a long seafaring history. Did Columbus "discover" America? NO!!!!
L'Anse aux Meadows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Being of viking ancestry myself I can appreciate your outlook and sentiments.
Travel well my friend...

Haha! When we touch in to the subject, I must shed some more light on it:

Taken from here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309535399061183/doc/309535682394488/

This is the case:
By Anders Kanten in Norgesveldet - America must rejoin The Norwegian Empire · Edit Doc · Delete
"In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the Revocation of Your Independence, effective immediately. His Majesty King Harald V will resume monarchical duties over all states and territories excepting Kansas, which he does not fancy. Your new prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

The claim to the American continent origins from the fact that Leiv Erikson declared "Vinland" a part of the Norwegian reign as early as 1000 AD. This has never been revoked. The legal term "occupation" is defined by international law as a right to seed ownership of newly discovered lands. Due to the enormous defacit in your national budget, you will never be able to resist our claim by processing a trial in the court of law versus the corps of lawyers we will be affordingly able to engage for centuries to come.

To aid in the transition to a Norwegian Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like", "umm" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Anyway, Norwegian will be mandatory language from 2010. You will be lightly informed of the Sami culture and alphabeth (new curriculum in Norwegian elementary school).

2. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as independence day (common logic), but as that of her Royal Highness the Queen Sonjas date of birth.

3. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

4. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

5. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.

7. The former USA will adopt Norwegian prices on bensin (which you have been calling gasoline) -roughly $7/US gallon. Get used to it. You will - of cause - submit to the Kyoto protocol of global heating countermeasures.

8. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper Norwegian "pils" will be referred to as beer, and other European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

9. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every five seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies). Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game.

10. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 1,8% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. Instead of baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "slåball," which is baseball without fancy team strip, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs.

11. The Statue of Liberty will be moved to Bouvetøya where an electric windmill generator is to be installed in the torch. The power generated will drive an automated Norwegian flag raiser, as there is no people on the island to do this manually. The empty pedestal on Liberty Island will soon be mounted by a replica of "Sinnataggen" by Gustav Vigeland (1869-1943).

12. The US Pacific fleet will be relocated to Vernesonen, Smutthullet and Smutthavet to fend off rusty Russian bandit trawlers. "Fire on sight".

13. There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old enough to cope with bad language then you shouldn't have chat shows. When you learn to develop your vocabulary, then you won't have to use bad language as often.

14. An internal revenue agent ( i.e. "skattefut") from His Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1000 AD).

Thank you for your co-operation.

Sincerely,
The people of Norway"

--------------------------------------------

"His Majesty the King is lending an ear to suggestion of claims for the Norwegian Realm and Crown.

His Majesty the King Harald V has forwarded to the Royal Chamber of Internal Affairs: Norwegian colony formerly known as the USA, will be renamed "Lille Marius Land". Former capitol Washington D.C. will be given the new name "Ny Ålesund II".

Norwegian colony formerly known as Canada, will be renamed "Father of Crown Princess: Sven O. Høyby kysten", and merged to Svalbard fylke. Due to the fact that Canada's got an island with a town called Dildo on it, we will not claim this island. Dildo will however be transfered to the Swedish Crown, as this will further boost typical Norwegian humor.

Russia, formerly known as "Gardarike", will again be named Gardarike when mr Vladimir Putin begin recieveing his comfortable pention from His Majestys treasury. Hans Willhelm Steinfeldt will be pointed "Provincial Tsar" due to his bombastic temper, masculine red beard and will/ability to fling hotdogs (w/mustard) at cheeky people.

Please don't refer to my person as the one responsible for the Kings will.. Even though his Majesty is finding it hard to even spell his own name at time present, none of us subjects are worthy to question his authority.
- "The king has visited the USA millions of times", he says, driving his royal golf-cart through every corner of Utah, looking for his lost ball. (He may be understandably confusing Utah with Bogstad golfklubb. But that is beside the point.)

Queen Elisabeth II's claim of U.S. dominion -http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2208523152 - which again origins from - snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA - is by far not valid, as WE SAW IT FIRST! Still, thanks to Jason Sarfo-Annin for inspiration.

8. November 07:
CLAIM TO THE BRITISH ISLES PUT FORWARD!
The above mentioned group (claiming British rule over the US) has been issued the official Norwegian claim to the regency of the British Isles. The following letter was presented:

NORWAY ABOUT TO CLAIM GREAT BRITAIN!
..And Ireland.

For you that have no historic understanding of this:BBC - Primary History - Vikings - Who were the Vikings

When his majesty King Harald V finally gets to it, a petition to revoke English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Isle of man..ish independence will be handed to your PM, Gordon Brown, in expectance that he immediately hands over Queen and "countries" to the Norwegian realm! Queen Elisabeth II will be forced to symbolicly marry HMK Harald V's retarded cousin, prince Reidar.

You may finish this silly facebook group, as the intellectual copyright has now been hijacked by us, and because the USA has always been Norwegian property, due to the unrevoked claim of the year 1000 AD.

I, his Majesty's expansionist minister, have an English culture fetish, so no immediate violence or extensive taxes (beyond Norwegian standard) will be casted upon you - except from Manchester who needs to pay a big fine for having a rubbish football team.
If you do not bow to our rule, we will buy your companies, fire you all, and later put you on American social welfare (with the rubbish Medicare arrangement).

That is all"

-----------------------------------------

"Theres is very little rants and rage going on (from our unexpectedly polite - and very nice - American members here), but there are some passionate exceptions:

WALL OF FAME (quotes):

Jerry Kassin (E. Michigan):
Every democratic nation on earth is based on the example of the US.

Chris Cronin (St. Edwards):
um, democracies don't have kings.

Josephine McDougal (Houston, TX):
As a proud American woman who loves America, President Bush, Jesus, our Flag, and our brave troops fighting in Iraq, I just want to say you people are reually scumbags! If you hate America so much, why don't you all just join Al Qaeda and go to Iraq? GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR PRESIDENT BUSH!

Bear Jacobsen (Berkeley High):
haha at least america has freedom of speech.

Greg Johnson (San Francisco, CA):
****in idiots. USA and CA were never colonies of norway. leif erikson found the ****in continent and named it VInland. he didnt build on it, industrialize it, set up an economy, in fact he that opportunity. and today, we've grown stronger than ever. YOU GUYS DONT HAVE THE FIREPOWER to take on the USA, or even CA, maybe mexico. herring and salmon will only get you so far.

Kyle McNair (UCSB):
Maybe if Norway was a real country...
USA is the world's only superpower, we're not about to let some insignificant country tell us what to do!
WOOOOOOO! USA! WOOOOOOO!"

Also don't overlook the ability to cross the state at Cape Coral via the Caloosahatchee/Lake Okeechobee Waterway in protected waters if conditions warrant.

I don't know if anyone has pointed you in the direction of these yet but they are definitely a wealth of knowledge in planning a trip like yours.
http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

Last edited:
So far as your Viking relations go. Check out "Heavner, Oklahoma Runestone" if you want to see some history from your ancestors. I've been there and must admit it'll give you pause to think what could've been.

Greeting,
Oh Mr. lostviking...Although I can see the reasoning in your post, and agree with it's sentiments, I really don't think it will go down that well with the American people. Best take this tongue in cheek type post to OTDE...
I agree with Mr. twiisted's suggestion. Look into the mid Florida route.

Greeting,
Oh Mr. lostviking...Although I can see the reasoning in your post, and agree with it's sentiments, I really don't think it will go down that well with the American people. Best take this tongue in cheek type post to OTDE...
I agree with Mr. twiisted's suggestion. Look into the mid Florida route.

Hehe, it is just a joke. Based on the John Cleese sketch: snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA
It is a joke, supposed to make people laugh, but i guess that "taking a piss on ourself" like the british would have explained, it is easier for European than Americans.

I did not make the Norwegian version, hehe.

Yeah, back to the core of the thread. Mid Florida route. Does it cost anything? Is it nicer than to go by the keys? Is it always open?

Hehe, it is just a joke. Based on the John Cleese sketch: snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA
It is a joke, supposed to make people laugh, but i guess that "taking a piss on ourself" like the british would have explained, it is easier for European than Americans.

I did not make the Norwegian version, hehe.

Yeah, back to the core of the thread. Mid Florida route. Does it cost anything? Is it nicer than to go by the keys? Is it always open?
I thought it was funny. I think you should change your route and go straight to Biloxi and eat and gamble till hurricane season is over. and then be on your way. :D

No charge. Nicer is subjective. With a relatively un-proven vessel it would offer an inside passage where you could essentially pull over to the side of the road and be much more likely to find assistance, than say if something happened around the 10,000 Island area.

Unless you are going to spend some time in the Keys I wouldn't really bother going that route unless the locks on the Okeechobee route weren't running (but being H-cane season I'd think there will be plenty of water so there shouldn't be any restrictions). Trust me on this one...where you're going will blow anything the Key's reefs would offer. I just moved to SW Florida after living in Key Largo for 3 yrs. And I took a job assignment in the USVI several yrs ago. St. Croix/St. Thomas have some beautiful reefs, good restaurants, and much prettier coastlines as viewed from aboard. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are awe inspiring. May as well stop at WillieT's (see if your better half is up for "earning" a T-shirt!), and hit Foxy's for New Years.

To lostviking,

Check out our website, svescapades.net, we have done the trip down the west side of Florida and up the east side to Ft. Lauderdale. If the Okeechobee route is open it would save some time. From there we have done the thorny path to the BVI. This was in a sail boat but, Lauderdale, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Luperon, PR, USVI and then BVI should be possible with a power boat. This did involve some overnight legs but most of it was day trips.

Bob

With a relatively un-proven vessel it would offer an inside passage where you could essentially pull over to the side of the road and be much more likely to find assistance...

Trust me on this one...where you're going will blow anything the Key's reefs would offer. .

Yeah, I`ll do that :)

I did not realize it was a channel there. I read about one channel going across florida, but somehow i figured it was not finished because of environmental reasons. Glad to hear I was wrong.

Greetings,
Mr. lostviking. If you do the Lake Okeechobee route, I would suggest going out in the ocean from Riviera Beach south to Ft. Lauderdale if the weather is favorable. I can't remember how many bridges you bypass but it's a lot! Don't go too far out from shore or this will put you into the Gulf Stream and slow your speed. A mile or two should be plenty. And whatever you do, if the winds have ANY north component in them, stay in the ICW.

I agree with going outside the east coast of Florida, too many bridges. We have always left from Miami, gone north of Bimini and headed straight for Nassau. Plenty of places to anchor and wait for a weather window in the Miami area. We always stopped north of the Venitian Causeway. There's a canal heading east along a street I can't remember the name of, but you can tie up the dinghy across the street from a Food Lion or walk to South Beach and other stores.

Bob

Also don't overlook the ability to cross the state at Cape Coral via the Caloosahatchee/Lake Okeechobee Waterway in protected waters if conditions warrant.

I don't know if anyone has pointed you in the direction of these yet but they are definitely a wealth of knowledge in planning a trip like yours.
http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

The only thing that could be an impediment to his crossing the state by using the Caloosahatchee over to Lake Okeechobee and then the St Lucy River....is the fact that the Moorehaven Lock is closing in June for about two months and not reopening until mid August...if the repairs take longer, who knows.....
Cruiser's Net » Archive » Moore Haven Lock/Okeechobee Waterway Closure Delayed Until 6/11/12 – Anticipated Re-opening 8/8/12

Me, I'd rather cross the lake than go around the bottom...been both ways and just prefer the lake...besides...its shorter to Ft. L across the lake....

Me, I'd rather cross the lake than go around the bottom...been both ways and just prefer the lake...besides...its shorter to Ft. L across the lake....

I want to take the short route and do it really slow.
If it saves time and fuel, it is great.

I figure i got the most scenic run from The Bahamas to The VI`s anyway.
At least with my white beach and palm trees fetish, hehe!

Back
Top Bottom