Raw water strainers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
So I cleaned out the raw water strainers for the first time since I have owned the boat. I can now see inside them....whoever recommended vinegar as a cleaner in some previous thread is a god, cleaned the plastic wonderfully!

Anyway, two things:

Has anyone ever heard of White brand strainers? Can't find it anywhere and I would like a gasket kit and perhaps a new basket.

Secondly, on the port strainer, I have bubbles. Tiny Pepsi bubbles, not a lot but a few. Perhaps they have always been there but they are noticible now. No water leaks at all. Do I have a suction leak at the very top of the strainer? How big of a deal is this?

I wouldn't worry about the bubbles. It's most likely caused by the water being pulled up through the through hull and guard plate over the through hull (if you have one) and getting agitated which generates the bubbles. If the water flow through your raw water system is what it should be and nothing is leaking I would say you don't have a problem.

Are your entire raw water strainers plastic or just the filter cages? If the whole deal is plastic I'd feel a lot better with a heavy bronze and glass filter with a stainless filter basket. But if plastic is the norm for that brand of boat I guess it's been proven to be okay.

Hey Marin,

Thanks for the reply. Bronze strainers with plastic filter cages, quite sturdy for an "off brand".

Mine is still looking good.

img_85430_0_5de8c51de355f5db617d336250481744.jpg

A shmeer of grease around the filter will let you know weather its an air leak or the suction is so high the water is vaporising in the filter.

My guess ,air leak.

FF

Grease the o ring and the threads and the bubbles will stop if it's sucking in air.

Mine is still looking good.

img_85474_0_5de8c51de355f5db617d336250481744.jpg

So Mark, what you have is a sea chest? From the pic it is hard to tell where the seacock is. is it under the strainer? The strainer seems to be a manafold.

SD

Last edited:
...Has anyone ever heard of White brand strainers? Can't find it anywhere and I would like a gasket kit and perhaps a new basket...
Who makes your raw water strainers? Groco makes a poly basket for their raw water strainers plus they sell repair kits and parts.

GROCO - FITTINGS

Apparently it is made by White. Has White forged into the bronze on the lid and the main body. Spent an hour looking for something that looked like it at the marine store yesterday, no joy. Got some cork to make gaskets and the baskets are in pretty good shape.

I've got a picture on the phone if I can figure out to get it onto the computer, I will post.

So Mark, what you have is a sea chest? From the pic it is hard to tell where the seacock is. is it under the strainer? The strainer seems to be a manafold.

SD

No, there is no sea box: the seacock is directly under the strainer. The handle for the seacock is mostly hidden on the left side: the bit of yellow is part of the handle. The strainer is capable of supplying water directly to three different systems, but I only have a single propulsion engine, no gensets, and no other interior seawater system, so use only one of the outlets.

Last edited:
Looks crusty in the photo but it is 100x better now. Before the glass was a nasty mix of green and black.

Attachments

• Sea Strainer.jpg
    Sea Strainer.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 451
No, there is no sea box: the seacock is directly under the strainer. The handle for the seacock is mostly hidden on the left side: the bit of yellow is part of the handle. The strainer is capable of supplying water directly to three different systems, but I only have a single propulsion engine, no gensets, and no other interior seawater system, so use only one of the outlets.

I believe that is what is called a Sea chest. Help me out if I am wrong here.

Some larger boats have a larger version.

The sea Chest is in place of the standard Sea Cock that most boats have.

I like it! As you can manafold off the Sea Chest to supply raw water to various componets such as a wash down pump or raw water to a generator.

Very Cool.

SD

Last edited:
I believe that is what is called a Sea chest. Help me out if I am wrong here.

Some larger boats have a larger version.

The sea Chest is in place of the standard Sea Cock that most boats have.

I like it! As you can manafold off the Sea Chest to supply raw water to various componets such as a wash down pump or raw water to a generator.

Very Cool.

SD

My experience is that sea chests are an integral part of the hull with no sea cock. The lid if practicable, is above the waterine so it can be removed and the chest inspected/ cleaned if debris.

Something on top of a sea cock I would just call a manifold.

That is what I thought but Marks looks to be the best of both worlds.
I have never seen a sea straner thet is also a manafold Good idea,

SD

Here's the sea chest in Old School. The top comes off so you can clean the filter inside of the chest which is metal, about 2 feet long by 2 inches wide with a bunch of holes in it. One valve goes to the strainer for raw water to the engine, the other valve feeds the head.

Attachments

• Boat 2008 009.jpg
    Boat 2008 009.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 139
My experience is that sea chests are an integral part of the hull with no sea cock. The lid if practicable, is above the waterine so it can be removed and the chest inspected/ cleaned if debris.

Something on top of a sea cock I would just call a manifold.

Isn't that hard to to do on most vessels, having the lid above the water line? :confused: Most of our thru hulls are 2-3 feet below the water line.

Isn't that hard to to do on most vessels, having the lid above the water line? :confused: Most of our thru hulls are 2-3 feet below the water line.

normally they are quite large..proportionately so the larger the vessel..on larger vessels the top isn't above the waterline in many cases.

that's why normally on small vessels you don't have them...but a 2-3 foot tall tube/box 6 inches or so in diameter isn't all that bad. It would have to be near a bulkhead for strength would be my guess.

awhile back someone posted many DeFevers had them,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom