View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
twiisted71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostviking View Post
Yeah, back to the core of the thread. Mid Florida route. Does it cost anything? Is it nicer than to go by the keys? Is it always open?
No charge. Nicer is subjective. With a relatively un-proven vessel it would offer an inside passage where you could essentially pull over to the side of the road and be much more likely to find assistance, than say if something happened around the 10,000 Island area.

Unless you are going to spend some time in the Keys I wouldn't really bother going that route unless the locks on the Okeechobee route weren't running (but being H-cane season I'd think there will be plenty of water so there shouldn't be any restrictions). Trust me on this one...where you're going will blow anything the Key's reefs would offer. I just moved to SW Florida after living in Key Largo for 3 yrs. And I took a job assignment in the USVI several yrs ago. St. Croix/St. Thomas have some beautiful reefs, good restaurants, and much prettier coastlines as viewed from aboard. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are awe inspiring. May as well stop at WillieT's (see if your better half is up for "earning" a T-shirt!), and hit Foxy's for New Years.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote