Paravanes vs. Sea Gyro vs. Active Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the site. I talked to him and he swears by it, and send the drawings. Welcome & Family - Miss Nancy's Journal

Kasten marine also has twin keels and sails on many of their designs. A lot of interesting designs and ideas. He is at Port townsend WA, and who I might use to added the twin keels.

Roll Attenuation and Bilge Keels

Greatheart 58

This is the design that interest me the most. Fix Bilge keels and sails.

Anyway fun site to look at.

Thanks for

Here is the site. I talked to him and he swears by it, and send the drawings. Welcome & Family - Miss Nancy's Journal

Kasten marine also has twin keels and sails on many of their designs. A lot of interesting designs and ideas. He is at Port townsend WA, and who I might use to added the twin keels.

Roll Attenuation and Bilge Keels

Greatheart 58

This is the design that interest me the most. Fix Bilge keels and sails.

Anyway fun site to look at.
For the first adress , for the another we already find and read
as all we can find concerning roll:eek: an with more interrest
roll attenuation :smitten:

skipperdude;84986 I'm sure there is a web site to calculate wave frequency. Sd[/QUOTE said:
I believe it's done with a timer/clock. The problem is that wave frequency varies so the rate of water movement in the tank would need to vary to counteract the wave action, no?

LC62:
Sympathique, cest tres bien. Our boats look like cousins, though yours looks a lot faster than Old School.
GC

Paravane Rigging

Here's a link to a site describing the paravane rigging on a Nordhavn 46. This worked well for his extensive cruising and has been copied by several other boats that I know of. It may sound complex at first, but it is well thought out and allows the fish to be deployed quickly and safely from right outside the doors to the pilothouse.

dvd

DVD:
Thanks for the link, I really like that setup. Sure looks a lot safer than mine, I'll give it a try.
GC

May be you can explain to me

I went on the Kasten site " Beam vs ballast" and at one moment he wrotte :

« …For example, 2,000 pounds of ballast located 5 feet from the roll axis will yield a Rigting Moment (Torque) of 10,000 lb-ft, and a Roll Moment of Inertia of
5^4 x10,000 = 3,125,000 lb-ft^4. By comparison, a 200 pound mast located 25 feet
from the roll axis will introduce a Heeling Moment of 5,000 lb-ft, but will have a Roll Moment of Inertia of 25^4x200 = 78,125,000 lb-ft^4... »

I don’t understand why on this example for the ballast the 2000 pouds was multiplicated by the 5 feet for obtain 10000 and after 5^4x 10000 and at contrario
for the mast the designer took directly 200 (and not doing like the ballast 200 x 25 before appliced the formula)
I could understand if the same way is used for both , but I don’t understand when it is not the same.
Did you have an answer ?

and just for the "fun" of see 'disaster' made by the roll

Le roulis paramtrique

Saw a new addvert . the Gyro is now being used in small (30) ft outboards.

Kasten is usually at the Trawler Fest, Anacortes May 16th thru 19th, if I see him I will ask. We have met/talked several times. His office is Port Townsend across the Puget Sound from Anacortes. We plan on going to Trawler Fest Saturday, May 19th, if weather is reasonable, go on a few of the bigger, new, interesting boats, have lunch and visit. :socool:

I been thinking about the paravanes again. :confused: Decide to have the shop make the side chain plates, 1” aluminum, to attach the poles and stays to the hull. The shop loves my hand drawing that sort of gives them the general idea. NOT! :eek: Then will have the main pieces; fish, poles, new mast, and chain plates.

Longcourse

Rather than giving a long winded discourse, suggest you google "moment arm" and "boat stability calculations."

In a nutshell:

The mast's (rigging and sail weight too) CG of 200# is 25' above the boats CG or providng a tipping arm of 5000#. This 5000# tipping arm is more than counteracted by 2000# of ballast 5' below the boat's CG. This leaves excess ballast to cover the wind induced loads.

For cruisers, removing 200 to 500# of crap from the flybridge and leaving it ashore can improve the boat's righting moment by 2000 to 5000 # assuming the boats's CG is 10' below the removed crap.

Or, the bigger the dinghy and outboard on the boat deck, the more unstable the cruiser.

For cruisers, removing 200 to 500# of crap from the flybridge and leaving it ashore can improve the boat's righting moment by 2000 to 5000 # assuming the boats's CG is 10' below the removed crap.

Better yet, have no flybridge at all. A mast is bad enough, especially when it's two/three times taller than typical.

Last edited:
Thanks for your sugestion

Longcourse

Rather than giving a long winded discourse, suggest you google "moment arm" and "boat stability calculations."

In a nutshell:

The mast's (rigging and sail weight too) CG of 200# is 25' above the boats CG or providng a tipping arm of 5000#. This 5000# tipping arm is more than counteracted by 2000# of ballast 5' below the boat's CG. This leaves excess ballast to cover the wind induced loads.

Or, the bigger the dinghy and outboard on the boat deck, the more unstable the cruiser.

But I doing that at ENMM (it is school for professional sailor in France).
What I do not understand it is on the sample the designer do not use the same way for the ballast and for the mast and something don't look logic.(may be just for me :lol:)

Tell us about your courses, that is sounds like a marvelous happening Long cours. And you ask us for answers? We should be asking you!!

Back
Top Bottom