Anchor-rope -with chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote....
I can't speak for Australia but I've been to parts of the world where the term "yachting" specifically refers to sailing. In sailboats. Saying, "I'm going yachting next weekend" means that you're going sailing, usually in a fair-size sailboat. Running around in a sailing dinghy is not considered "yachting." But going out on a 40-foot sloop is.
Australia calls "yachts" what USA calls "sailboats". Boats propelled only by power are called "cruiser" or "powerboat" or sometimes at the high end, or by brokers, "motor yachts". Except for the "40ft speedboats" (cruisers half planing) passing/overtaking within about 20ft,which are called something else entirely. BruceK

Thank you gentlemen, my case rests, as they say. Anyone for elevensies on the poop..??

Last edited:
While your case is resting Peter I think a yacht is a pleasure boat, having nothing to do w the propulsion system. Sailing or powered dinghy's are yachts regardless of their size. To me a large or very large and luxurious yacht is much more of a yacht than lesser yachts. I do consider a very large and very luxurious power boat is the yachtyist of all yachts. I just consider sailboats to be sort of in the "also ran" category. I see them as a lesser vessel having such an inferior propulsion system and a hull designed/optimized for speeds unbecoming of more serious yachts. When the whim strikes the owners of the yachtiest yachts that yacht will whisk them along at a fairly high and sustained speed to reach the most treasured destinations in a timely manner in the greatest comfort possible.
Now there are sailing yachts so large (250' or so) w swimming pools and stabilizers and unimaginable luxury that they ought to invent a new word for them. That would be mega yacht I spoze and I'll bet most of their owners do'nt belong to a yacht club. I'll settle for trawlers, powerboats and sailboats....in that order. Just say'in.

While your case is resting Peter I think a yacht is a pleasure boat, having nothing to do w the propulsion system.

What you say is true for you and for this country. But where people here think restricting the word "yacht" to sailboats makes no sense, the people in the countries that use the word this way think OUR definition makes no sense. Who's right?

Both of them in the context of their country, their language, and their traditions.

If I have learned one thing in the travels Boeing has sent me on around the world for the last twenty years we've been doing our international projects it is that this business of saying "we're right and they're wrong" when it comes to culture, customs, traditions, language, and approaches to life is total bollocks. Show the bottom of your foot to someone from the Middle East, particularly if you are IN the Middle East, or eat with your left hand, and that person will think on a very basic level that you are pond scum. They probably won't say or do anything to express that, but that's what they will think and it will color their attitude and dealings with you accordingly.

Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. It's part of their culture and if you expect to build any kind of productive relationship with the person, you better respect and adhere to what's important to them.

So, while using the term "yacht" to mean "sailboat" in this country is not part of the way we use the language, it is in other countries. And in the context of what they believe and how they speak, it's just as valid a use of the term as ours is.

The British and the Commonwealth countries think our use of the word "aluminum" is sloppy and ignorant. Everyone knows, after all, that the correct name of the metal is "aluminium." :)

Incidentally, when I'm in the UK (or Australia or New Zealand) I use the word "aluminium" if it comes up in conversation with the airline maintenance folks we're working with. I say "aluminum" in this country. I find it a lot of fun and very educational to adapt as many of the local or national expressions and terms as I can when I'm in another country.

Except for Marmite and Vegamite. Those are evil substances no matter what culture you're part of.

("Aluminium" is in the dictionary as the name for the metal right along with "aluminum.")

Last edited:
Now I feel like narrow minded yankee pond scum.

No you're not. You used and defined a term as its used in this country. My definition of the word "yacht" is essentially the same as yours.

My only point is that I think it's important to acknowledge the validity of what people in another country or culture do, not dismiss them by saying they're wrong simply on the basis that what they say or do is different than what we say or do over here.

Gee, Eric, all because someone asked how long his anchor chain should be.

Yes, but what is considered a long anchor chain in the US could be considered a short anchor chain in, say, Tierra del Fuego. And what about the people on Easter Island? What cultural perspectives might they bring to the question, "How long should my anchor chain be?"

See, I think Per has a lot of research to do before settling on how much chain he wants to buy for his anchor. To get a truly meaningful answer he's got to interview experienced mariners in every country with a seacoast. Ony then can he begin to approach the answer with meaningful data to work with.

Gee, Eric, all because someone asked how long his anchor chain should be.

How long? Who knows? But, would you run out and get me a yard of flight line? And a bucket of prop wash while you're at it.

Ba-da-boom!

Why do sailboaters seem to think sailboats are yachts and the rest of us are wannabes?

Not wannabees , MARINE MOTORISTS !
Those attracted to the title "Marine Motorists" will be excited to learn the Australian state of "New South Wales (aka NSW)" (why on earth did our forefathers call it that?) has merged "NSW Maritime" and "Roads and Traffic" into "Roads & Maritime".
Stand by for a uniformed Highway Patrol officer on a JetSki with siren pulling alongside your trawler regarding some offence. BruceK

Those attracted to the title "Marine Motorists" ...

Attracted? I'm repelled by it. Marine Motorist, indeed.
bleh.gif
Bleh!

Sailing yachts and motor yachts. I like 'em both!

I thought "rope" was "rope" until it was used on the boat... as lines, sheets, halyards, etc....

Those attracted to the title "Marine Motorists" will be excited to learn the Australian state of "New South Wales (aka NSW)" (why on earth did our forefathers call it that?) has merged "NSW Maritime" and "Roads and Traffic" into "Roads & Maritime".
Stand by for a uniformed Highway Patrol officer on a JetSki with siren pulling alongside your trawler regarding some offence. BruceK

Bruce, up here in Qld (aka Queensland - now why did they name it that), our boat licence is tacked onto and renewed with our road licence. And yes, the police do do random breath tests on the water etc, and they do have a jetski patrol...so it's coming to a place near you, for sure.

Eric - don't feel bad - about the sailboat thing - but really, I think the issue is that sailboat is just a very descriptive word for the means of propulsion, but tells you nothing else. We downunder have tended to associate that word with 'small'. Whereas 'yacht' says well..it's a bit more than that. Frankly I don't like the Aussie term trailer sailer, either, for the same reason. In NZ they were trailer yachts, damn-it. I had two. One a 20 footer, and the one I brought over here to Oz was what we called a maxi trailer yacht. It was 28 ft, and weighed 1.6 tonne. No way was that just a trailer sailer. That was the name given to the original called the Hartley 16. An all timber, unballasted sailboat, if you will.
Marin, If I'm ever over your way I'm gonna try to change your views on Marmite/Vegemite. You don't know what you're missing... does he Bruce..?

Marin, If I'm ever over your way I'm gonna try to change your views on Marmite/Vegemite. You don't know what you're missing... does he Bruce..?

I've had both and I know exactly what I'm missing, and I'm glad I'm missing it.

In industry the most common use of the word rope may be for wire rope. Most on this forum would probably use the word cable.

Marin, New England Rope is probably not a marine products company. At least I doubt they view themselves as such.

In industry the most common use of the word rope may be for wire rope. Most on this forum would probably use the word cable.

Marin, New England Rope is probably not a marine products company. At least I doubt they view themselves as such.

Eric:

You peaked my curiosity so I checked out the New England Ropes website. The company divides its products into seven main categories, one of which is marine.

There is also a brief history of rope on the site that is mildly interesting that includes an old picture of making up a 15 3/4" circumference tarred hemp cable for an Argentine battleship.

Eric:

You peaked my curiosity so I checked out the New England Ropes website. The company divides its products into seven main categories, one of which is marine.

There is also a brief history of rope on the site that is mildly interesting that includes an old picture of making up a 15 3/4" circumference tarred hemp cable for an Argentine battleship.

They may not be exclusively marine...but ya gotta wonder about their roots with a sperm whale in the logo...:D

I've had both and I know exactly what I'm missing, and I'm glad I'm missing it.
Vegemite and Marmite? Something of an acquired taste. The manufacturer of the former is Kraft; it briefly and disastrously, marketed Vegemite 2, blended with cheese, a product Kraft has long struggled with.
Use it on bread,or as a temporary substitute for marine sealant. BruceK
(PS.Is there a prize for the most off subject posts?I guess we are all letting it go where it likes, but gee....)

Touche, Bruce...fair cop..all I can say is Marin started it, see....

What you say is true for you and for this country. But where people here think restricting the word "yacht" to sailboats makes no sense, the people in the countries that use the word this way think OUR definition makes no sense. Who's right?
Both of them in the context of their country, their language, and their traditions.

Except for Marmite and Vegamite. Those are evil substances no matter what culture you're part of.

Back
Top Bottom