View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #92
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
While your case is resting Peter I think a yacht is a pleasure boat, having nothing to do w the propulsion system. Sailing or powered dinghy's are yachts regardless of their size. To me a large or very large and luxurious yacht is much more of a yacht than lesser yachts. I do consider a very large and very luxurious power boat is the yachtyist of all yachts. I just consider sailboats to be sort of in the "also ran" category. I see them as a lesser vessel having such an inferior propulsion system and a hull designed/optimized for speeds unbecoming of more serious yachts. When the whim strikes the owners of the yachtiest yachts that yacht will whisk them along at a fairly high and sustained speed to reach the most treasured destinations in a timely manner in the greatest comfort possible.
Now there are sailing yachts so large (250' or so) w swimming pools and stabilizers and unimaginable luxury that they ought to invent a new word for them. That would be mega yacht I spoze and I'll bet most of their owners do'nt belong to a yacht club. I'll settle for trawlers, powerboats and sailboats....in that order. Just say'in.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote