A very simple security device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
I will preface this by saying that a determined thief who really wants to get into your boat will do so no matter what you do.* But the problems I've been aware of in our marina with break-ins have all be of a casual nature--- a cabin door or window was left unlocked or a lock was easily defeated.

Earlier generations wood and glass Grand Banks have a gap between the main cabin door and the door frame.* The latch and the deadbolt are visible in this gap.* On top of that, the deadbolt mechanism on the earlier GBs like ours has a weak detent system--- it's pretty easy to simply push the deadbolt back if you can get to it.* Even though we have long since replaced the original corrosion-prone plated door latch/lock mechanisms on both the main cabin and aft cabin doors with identical units made of 316 stainless, the inner workings of the deadbolt are unfortunately also identical.

Remembering back to my childhood in Hawaii where one of the houses we lived in had similar setup on the back door that I could open with a pocket knife blade, I decided to try to defeat the potential for this on our boat.

The solution was very simple as illustrated in the photo.* A friend cut out the piece of stainless for me and it is through-bolted to the door as well as glued to the door with 3M 5200.

The reason it does not overlap the door frame very much is that when the door is opened it misses the handrail by only a half inch or so.* So the plate cannot stick out any further or it will hit the rail.* But at least it covers the gap.* On boats with more clearance past the rail, or no clearance issue at all, the plate could overlap more.

Yes, a determined thief could pry the plate back and perhaps break the wood enough to get at the latch and deadbolt with a knife blade or credit card.* But I'm hoping that by making it a bit harder to get the door open, he'll just move on to the next boat.

And for people like Walt, yes, the door frame is on the list to be taken back to bare wood, CPES'd and then Bristoled this summer :)

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 87
Marin wrote:
And for people like Walt, yes, the door frame is on the list to be taken back to bare wood, CPES'd and then Bristoled this summer :)
*Love the disclaimer.

First thought when I looked at the picture befor reading the post.

SD

You can buy the same thing at a hardware store or locksmith shop. It's a common solution to a common problem.

Or change the lock to one with the extra pin that prevents opening the lock with a credit card or similar item.

We didn't want to change the lock as it would require a lot of surgery to the door and frame. And the ready-made plates that we looked at initially were all too big for our application. So they would have had to be cut down in length and width anyway. And it didn't seem like they were made of stainless but were plated or painted metal. But the ready-made plates might work well for some applications.

You could solve the whole issue by leaving a rabid pit bull on board.......

JAT wrote:
*JAT,* I believe what Marin is saying is that he's trying to improve security when he is NOT on the boat.*
biggrin.gif

FlyWright wrote:JAT wrote:
*JAT,* I believe what Marin is saying is that he's trying to improve security when he is NOT on the boat.*
biggrin.gif

*OTDE is closed.
smile.gif
no.gif

No wonder I had so few emails today.

Curiouser and curiouser

FlyWright wrote:JAT wrote:
biggrin.gif

Leave a really big bowl of dog food, and a lot of water......might even help to put down a doggy pad.....*
biggrin.gif

JAT wrote:Leave a really big bowl of dog food, and a lot of water......might even help to put down a doggy pad.....*
biggrin.gif

Hmm. Sounds inviting. It might be quite attractive as a crash pad to some two legged types that hang around waterfronts.

Marin,

Could you post the brand name of the lockset pictured in your photo?

Thanks,

Mike
Palm Coast FL

A thief WILL get in , so the question is what would you prefer to replace .

We use a brass padlock that would be no problem with a crowbar , so the replacement is easy.

On a long absence we set the mechanical trip wire setup , so once inside there is 12 oz of mace spraying inside the pilot house .

Sure a PIA to clean up , but it does stop the intrusion.

Looks like something that is asking for someone to do some greater damage.* I make it easy for them to break in like leaving the doors unlocked as they usually cause more damage than what the stuff is worth? *We presently have an old TV sitting on the back deck as is to big and heavy for me to carry. *Please come in and take our old HEAVY worthless stuff off the boat!

17 years we live in the dirt house and now 14 years on the boat with out locking it.* the trick is to make the boat look like somebody is on the boat our going to be coming back soon by leaving lights/TV music on.* If you are really concern then install an alarm system like the Boat nany that will protect your boat.

FF wrote:
A thief WILL get in , so the question is what would you prefer to replace .
*That's what the Sherriff said when our home was broken into and the theif had defeated a cheap deadbolt.* When I suggested that*perhaps I should replace it with a stronger one the Sherriff said if I did I would probably be replacing the window instead next time.*

" We presently have an old TV sitting on the back deck as is to big and heavy for me to carry. Please come in and take our old HEAVY worthless stuff off the boat!"

Phil has the NYC answer , "Shoe Sh*t" , set up the deck so it looks like there would be nothing of value to steal.

In our cottage in CT we are delighted to purchase Sony Trinitron TV's at yard sales for $5 $10 bucks .

These weigh a ton , but give fantastic pictures , and can be seen thru the window , during out 6 month absences.

Nobody will break in for a $5.00 TV

I always feel guilty about locking it when we come home for the week. I certainly want to protect my stuff, but what if the high water alarm goes off while we're away? I'd hate for someone that could help be denied the ability to do so.

Ever think about buying a couple of security cameras and place a sign up, "Look up and Smile you are being watched remotely". Place them on your mast.

I have the whole system but a couple of cameras works just as good if you don't want to purchase a DVR.

Elwin*

If you don't at least make an attempt to guard your "stuff", be it a boat a car, or your home, you really can't complain when it's taken.

Well, I take that back, you can complain but it won't do any good. There are thieves in every country, every city, everywhere. People who think it's perfectly OK to take what others have worked for instead of working for it themselves. And at least in most parts of the USA, the authorities don't have the guts and willpower to lock them up and keep them locked up.

If my cabin door was like Marin's I would have done the same thing.

As far as security cameras, cameras don't prevent theft, they just provide you with a record of folks hauling off your stuff. Good locks are cheaper and more effective. Insurance is the backup plan.

rwidman wrote:
As far as security cameras, cameras don't prevent theft, they just provide you with a record of folks hauling off your stuff. Good locks are cheaper and more effective. Insurance is the backup plan.
*At least you can see if they are happy with your stuff*:angered:

Elwin*

no.gif
Ocean Breeze NL wrote:
rwidman wrote:

Elwin*

smile.gif

Ocean Breeze NL wrote:rwidman wrote:

Elwin*

Most of the time, this stuff is sold at ten cents on the dollar for drug money.* That makes them happy for a while.

Mike wrote:
Marin,

Could you post the brand name of the lockset pictured in your photo?
I could if I could remember it. We came across it by chance in a marine exchange store in Bellingham.* They had a whole wall of stuff (new) from this company, all 316 stainless hardware made in-- where else, China--- and I realized that two of their locksets were identical to the corroded, plated sets we had on the main cabin and aft cabin doors.* So we bought them and they were drop-in replacements.*

The problem is that they duplicate exactly the lock mechanism.* So the weak detent system in the new stainless lockset is identical to the weak detent system on the original lockset.* Hence my plate over the gap.

But they've been on the boat for some ten or eleven years now out in the weather and they look today the way they looked when we bought them.

If I am in that store again and remember to look and they still carry the stuff I'll get the name.

We were broken into last winter, they pried open a window and climbed in.* Our commercial style burglar alarm must have scared the crap out of them since they ran out the aft door and left it open without having time to take anything.* Without the alarm, I have no doubt there would have been little left when we returned to the boat.* I have since added another layer of security by hooking up a motion detector light that turns on spotlights and also triggers a relay connected to a loud sounder and strobe light.* When were at the boat, I disconnect the strobe and sounder so we have automatic lights when we come in at night.* Finally, I added a third siren on the flybridge that sounds outside to alert everyone within hearing range (it's loud)* So far, the system has not been tested again, but if the crack heads return they will have to be very brave to ignore all the noise and lights. I"m guessing they will move to an easier target.* I've still got insurance though (and photograph everything every couple of years).........Arctic Traveller

How to make your own Boat (or Home) SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to your favorite outdoor store and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots.

2. Place them in your front cockpit , along with copies of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on the door that reads:

Bubba,

I went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the dock boy this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em up in the boat . Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter

How to make your own Boat (or Home) SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to your favorite outdoor store and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots.

2. Place them in your front cockpit , along with copies of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on the door that reads:

Bubba,

I went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the dock boy this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em up in the boat . Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter

The fatal flaw in this approach is assuming the mopes who're coming for your stuff can read. :blush:

Greetings,
Good point Mr. ARoss but don't sell the Mainers short. After all, the toothbrush was invented in Maine. Anywhere else and it would have been called the teeth brush.

Greetings,
Good point Mr. ARoss but don't sell the Mainers short. After all, the toothbrush was invented in Maine. Anywhere else and it would have been called the teeth brush.

LOL. Many Mainers (Mainiacs?) don't even have one tooth. Gumbrush?

Greetings,

oh lord, i loll'ed....

to be serious.. i do lock up but really if a thief is determined then they can break their way in, which would be more costly than anything inside worthwhile stealing but if i dont lock then insurance is not valid, right..?

oh lord, i loll'ed....

to be serious.. i do lock up but really if a thief is determined then they can break their way in, which would be more costly than anything inside worthwhile stealing but if i dont lock then insurance is not valid, right..?[/QUOTE]

I think you are still covered. The question that I would ask...if the insurance company gets wind that you NEVER lock...they could drop you which opens all kinds of worms.

Someone pointed out that insurance covers loss..and a police report would cover that easily....insurance companies have to cover you despite being stupid/careless...unless the action is specifically cited in the policy. However they are pretty touchy these days about paying losses and I would be nervous about being dropped if I had to admit that I NEVER made any attemt to keep people out of my boat.

That's why I use a cheap brass padlock that is easily defeated. Keeps pedestrians out...lets the "criminals" in without a lot of damage and satisfys the "appearance" of trying to keep my stuff safe to any insurance co.

One of the simplest solutions is a stencil and stencil brush , and mark everything.

A lock will keep no one out that wishes to get in , but the stencil will reduce the value to the thief.

BE SURE to imediatly stencil any insurance replacement gear , after all the thief knows new stuff is worth more than last months electric toys.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom