Bennett trim tab repair???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Believe my V351 Bennett pump has failed. Tabs are extended so can get on plane but no adjustment. If I break the hyd. lines to remove the unit will the trim tabs retract? Don't want to mess up trim as it is now till I have a new unit.

I believe yes they are able to retract..... so if you are using the boat the water pressure will force them back to retacted.

Bennett's customer service is the best there is. Call or e-mail them and they will tell you how to troubleshoot your tabs and what you need to repair them.

Bennett Marine has a reputation for two things - one is proven durability; the other is unmatched boater satisfaction. We're dedicated to exceeding your expectations and delivering superior customer service. It's our top priority.

Whether you contact us by phone, e-mail or mail, you can expect a courteous, knowledgeable and timely response. If there is a question not answered on our website, or you'd just like some personal assistance, don't hesitate to contact us by any of the following methods:

Phone: 954.427.1400
Client Services is available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern

Contact Bennett Marine

It could be the pump or it could be one of the two solenoids. The solenoids are replaceable.

I emailed Bennett yesterday morning. No response yet. Pump was in a wet location and looks pretty rough. System wasn't working when we bought the boat and thru troubleshooting have determined that getting signal back to the quick disconnect for commands but pump remains silent.

Considering the external condition of the pump suspect it is toast. Plan on just replacing it but hate to loose the trim we have now so don't want to pull it if the tabs are going to retract, which I believe they will when I break the hyd. lines. Maybe Bennett get back to me today, if not I will call. Thanks for the number.

I broke an actuator a few years back and had to replace it. The 351 actuator has an internal spring which drives it to the closed or retracted position if the pressure is removed, so you may have a solenoid valve not opening or a switch not sending the open signal.

Fighterpilot, Since you are about to spend some money on your trim tabs, you might want to consider the Lenco conversion kit for Bennet Trim Tabs.
Bennett Retrofit Kit Parts & Price List

If you like the idea, I'd like the chance to quote you on it.

From the various posts I conclude that when I break the hyd. lines loose the tabs will retract.

Appreciate the offer to quote on conversion but cost would preclude that option. I would have to haul the boat and the $362 per kit X 2 on top of that is a deal breaker. Even with a favorable quote from you HopCar. So will just get a new pump system. Will see where I can get the best price.
Bennett still hasn't responded to my email and as such, I am somewhat disappointed in their customer support. Will give them a call Monday to see if there was a communications breakdown somewhere along the line.

I'm surprised that Bennett hasn't replied. They have a good reputation for customer service. Why don't you just get the replacement pump and have it ready to go in before you take out the old one?

Why don't you just get the replacement pump and have it ready to go in before you take out the old one?
It may not be the pump. Replacing parts at random until the problem is solved is not the most efficient or cost effective way to repair things.

Calling Bennett is the best plan.

I'm surprised that Bennett hasn't replied. They have a good reputation for customer service. Why don't you just get the replacement pump and have it ready to go in before you take out the old one?

Sounds like a plan to me... Fighterpilot did write "Considering the external condition of the pump suspect it is toast. Plan on just replacing it but hate to loose the trim we have now so don't want to pull it if the tabs are going to retract, which I believe they will when I break the hyd. lines. Maybe Bennett get back to me today, if not I will call. Thanks for the number. "

Sometimes when your time is limited and you're not paying someone else to do it...peplacing quickly may not be cost effective for the repair but overall cost effectiveness for boat enjoyment and extending repair time/travel can add up too.

Back
Top Bottom