Thread: Bye Bye XYZ
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #53
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Have you ever brought up a huge mass of mud on your Rocna?
Absolutely. Every time it sets in mud it brings up a ton of it. Our Bruce also brought up a lot of mud although not near as much since it's three smaller flukes vs. one real big one. But I don't view this as a detriment, I view it as proof the thing did what it was supposed to do and dug in deep.

We have a good windlass so it's not like I'm having to haul that mud up by hand. If I had to do that I would probably be Not Happy. And we have a very powerful washdown system courtesy of a previous owner who put the thing in. A 1 hp AC Westinghouse motor driving a big impeller pump at about 25 gpm (at the pump, not at the hose nozzle). So blasting that mud off is no big deal. Actually it's kind of fun---- you know how boys love to blast things with water.

It think the Bruce/Claw is a good design for what I understand was its initial purpose, which was to secure North Sea oil rigs. But I think the basic design is dependent on it being real big. Like tons big. I don't think it scales down to sizes like 44#, 33#, etc with the same performance. That's what I like about the rollbar concept--- it's a design that performs as advertised in the sizes and weights that most of us are limited to on our cruisers.

By the way, in that last post it's supposed to read "....slice its sharp-edged fluke and TIP into the bottom like a knife blade, " not "top."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote