Thread: VHF Radio
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I decided to buy a Standard Horizon GX-2100 from Defender. Cost was $239.
It includes DSC, AIS, and a Haler.

We are headed to the Bahamas next month and I wanted a reliable and easy to use DSC, something my current VHF doesn't have. I'm not sure how useful DSC is in the Bahamas, hopefully I won't find out. I also wanted a haler which my current VHF has, but have never used.

I'm not sure AIS will be useful, but for the very little more that it costs to add it I decided it may be worth it. The VHF has a display that can be used for AIS but the real neat thing about this capability is that it will display on a chartplotter if it's hooked up. That's what I plan on doing this weekend. I hope SH tech help is available on the weekends!
I believe SH has diagrams on their website for connecting the radio to most common plotters.

I probably would have already bought and installed mine but it takes a larger hole than the existing VHF and I spent much of my "working on the boat time" this winter replacing the carpet with teak and holly.

I'm headed out next week for a month long cruise. I might do it when I get back.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote