Matching old port lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
img_84258_0_004feef82214ee0968c0c770e39e5ed4.jpg
[/IMG]I have a few of the original port lights that need to be replaced. I have not been able to find a "drop in" replacement size- and what I have found will not fit due to angles on the hull and interior. Any ideas if these 1983 style port lights are available anywhere ?

You never mentioned who makes yours? Our Bomar ports are no longer available so I'm going to the nearest larger size to replace mine.

I failed to find any brand name. I checked the Bomar and Grey websites, but they are a different style.
I tried to post a picture- no luck. But mine are white plastic. NFM would be a great source for SS, but no match on sizes there either. Outside dimensions are 18.5x 9.5
Screen 15.75 x 6.75

On an episode of ShipShape TV, the host was replacing some old port lights that looked a lot like yours. They were actually made by the Fuller Brush Company and as usual, he had his "good friend" from the company on the show with him.

You might find the episode and contact information on their website.

Ship Shape TV

Here's a page from the Fuller Brush website:

http://www.fuller.com/index.php/divisions-of-fuller

but I can't get the "marine" link to work.

http://www.fuller.com/index.php/marine.html

Perhaps you could contact their customer service department and ask.

Last edited:
I have Fuller portlights on my Gulfstar. I just got off the phone with Fuller's marine division and am waiting for a portlight parts list to be emailed to me. Their direct phone is 1-800-227-2961.

I would swear that is a Beckson port. The construction and the knobs are identical to what they were making back in the seventies and eighties. They don't seem to make one that big anymore. You might try contacting them and sending the photo to confirm that it is one of their ports. What port do I need? by Beckson

I put up some pictures of my port replacement project on my website.

There are lots of ways to do it. What worked for me may not work for others.

Mike
Palm Coast FL

Jensen Marine DeFever 40

GREAT information guys. Let me see what I can find out.

I would swear that is a Beckson port. The construction and the knobs are identical to what they were making back in the seventies and eighties. They don't seem to make one that big anymore. You might try contacting them and sending the photo to confirm that it is one of their ports. What port do I need? by Beckson

I was sure it was Beckson as well. They also sell parts. Problem was, the sizes did not matchup and I also noticed the width/ pattern of the hinge area was different. It sure looked to be the same.

I put up some pictures of my port replacement project on my website.

There are lots of ways to do it. What worked for me may not work for others.

Mike
Palm Coast FL

Jensen Marine DeFever 40

Geez Mike. What a great looking bit of work

Forklift,
We have exactly the same ports and they just don't exists anymore.

I have 6 bronze portlights - cut Out 7 3/4 x 16 1/2.

Attachments

• Port6.jpg
    Port6.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 162
When I saw the photos I thought they looked like Vetus. Not exactly but darn close. I replaced mine ten or so years ago and that's what they were, just took a while to ID them.

I am looking for the same portlights and/or a replacement that fits, so if there are any fresh ideas, please share.

When purchasing metal ports be sure there is a screw in a tapped hole that can push on each hinge pin

The upper hinge pins should be in a slot , not a simple hole..

This will allow an adjustment as the seal material takes a set.

It also allows adjustment when the seal material is replaced.

My favorite seal material is old fashoned woven shaft packing of the proper size.

Lasts for decades unlike rubber .

I am looking for the same portlights and/or a replacement that fits, so if there are any fresh ideas, please share.

Hey Judy
I checked my paperwork and all I can find is that our boat was built in a "shipyard at Kaohsiung , Taiwan, ROC". Do you know which town yours was built in?

I replaced two of mine (look like the OPs) they were Becksons. It seems that Beckson has gone to a new design that "drains" so you dont have that little lip of water anymore. The problem is you'd have to cut two slots in your wall for each new window. If, as always happens, this new design turns out to be a flop you then either have to patch the slots or go to a much larger port. Luckily I found some NOS of the old style. I guess in another 20 yrs I'll have to find something else!!!

I replaced two of mine (look like the OPs) they were Becksons. It seems that Beckson has gone to a new design that "drains" so you dont have that little lip of water anymore. The problem is you'd have to cut two slots in your wall for each new window. If, as always happens, this new design turns out to be a flop you then either have to patch the slots or go to a much larger port. Luckily I found some NOS of the old style. I guess in another 20 yrs I'll have to find something else!!!

Can you post a picture of the old style Becksons? I would love to compare. The closest I ever came up with was made be Fuller. It took a while to even get a scan of their sales brochure. But it was a slightly different design than mine like the others.

The new ones have the flip lever to tighten the window against the seal and they come undrilled. I think my old ones may be a generation newer than yours as they did not have a frame around the "glass" and the overall casting seems thinner. Mine had been changed before I bought the boat as I found a couple of extra holes in the wall where previous frame hardware would have been.

img_104585_0_9ff835c68364711c50d99a22ede5b833.jpg

img_104585_1_fa35e87b8dc537b4539309ddbc11c5cf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TWW,
Very similar but mine has three hinges vs two on the Beckson. I wouldn't mind installing the new style- but the size we currently have is not available. And I never found anything close enough to keep it simple.

Look VERY closely in the area between the hinges. Mine have "Beckson" cast in them but its very faint.

Forkliftt,

Ours was made in the same place, but apparently there are 15 yacht builders in that city.

The port lights in our 1983 President look like yours. They were made by PYI which was bought by Bomar and relabeled, I think, as their "Gray" line. You can still get some of the parts but not the entire port light. When mine need replacing I will be going with the New Found Metals port lights. I have seen several of them in Boats here, including another President, and I like the way they look and the quality of construction.

Marty.................

And here we are a decade later!

I have the exact same portlights as Forkliftt on the new to me 1986 Ponderosa 47.

Mine are serviceable, but need new gaskets. The gasket profile is square with a round hole in the middle making them hollow. The gasket sides are 3/16" in width.

10 years later, anyone have any insight?

Many thanks,
Newb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom