How best to handle strange behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not post the photo to change the discussion to altering photos digitally, I took it from a website that documents dangers to dolphins and actual known injuries to dolphins from moving boats. I had, and have no reason to believe that it's not an actual, unaltered photo of such an injury. There are other photos on-line of dolphin injuries caused by boats. I seriously doubt that they have been altered.

------------------------------------------------

I participate in boating forums for two reasons; to learn about boating from others, and to share my knowledge of boating with others.

Unfortunately, every Internet forum has its share of members who participate, not to learn or share, but to argue. Argue with just about any statement they decide to argue on. If they have nothing to say, they post it anyway.

This forum seems to have more than its share of such "know it alls", people who just argue for argument's sake. You know who you are and everyone else does as well.

If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk. :angry:

Now that just adds fuel to the fire for a post titled "How best to handle strange behavior? "

You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk. :angry:

I take it your comment is directed toward me. I alter photos with photoshop and other software as a hobby. I think it's a challenge to do it well. My reason for posting the photo was to illustrate what can be done these days. It was not intended to downplay injuries to marine mammals and fish by the boating public. The majority of my posts over the years have been about the technical aspects of boating. We have all seen how topics can drift into other subjects like this did. For that I apologize. However, the "*******" thing can better be addressed in a PM. That is unless it makes you feel better to post your thoughts on the open board.

I take it your comment is directed toward me. I alter photos with photoshop and other software as a hobby. I think it's a challenge to do it well. My reason for posting the photo was to illustrate what can be done these days. It was not intended to downplay injuries to marine mammals and fish by the boating public. The majority of my posts over the years have been about the technical aspects of boating. We have all seen how topics can drift into other subjects like this did. For that I apologize. However, the "*******" thing can better be addressed in a PM. That is unless it makes you feel better to post your thoughts on the open board.

No, not towards you unless you are part of this group:

"If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk."

No, not towards you unless you are part of this group:

"If you think running headlong into a pod of swimming dolphins (or any other marine life) doesn't put them at risk, you are an idiot. I can't help you and no one else can either. You are certainly a poor ambasador for the boating community. In my opinion, you are also an ******* and a jerk."

Takes two to argue...and you are just as good as the rest of us...:thumb:

Last time you pointed out us "arguementaive types" you pouted and said you would stop posting ...but you didn't...:rolleyes:

Now you resort to name calling...:eek:

Let's go over it again...you are on the internet....why?????:dance:

All most of us are saying...is through experience...again I'll say it slowwwww....through experience...that a trawler is hardly a threat to a dolphin....:D

Last edited:
I think there are two equally valid points being made here.

1--- It is our responsibility to protect all forms of life on this planet, and anything we can do to make their lives better is a good thing in my opinon. Slowing down and being vigillant in waters inhabited by slow-moving manatees, for example, is one of these things. I don't boat in their waters but from what I've seen and read about them they are doing well to stay out of their own way let alone stay out of a boat's way.

2. Fast, smart, aware animals like dolphins and porpoises are not challenged by an 8 or 9 knot boat. That's not to say one of them can't make a mistake and get whacked by a prop just like we make mistakes and get run over by cars. High speed cruisers, ski boats, fast fishing boats, and so on are probably another matter. But from what I have observed of harbor porpoises, Dall porpoises, and Pacific whiteside porpoises, our 8 knot trawler is pretty much stationary to them. I don't think we could drive into the middle of a pod (herd, group, flock, bunch?) of unsuspecting porpoises if we wanted to. They are simply too aware and too fast for that to happen.

through experience...that a trawler is hardly a threat to a dolphin....:D

^ AGREE^

I can tell you through many years of commercial fishing and a few years of schloping around on my trawler that the dolphin / porpoise will easilly overtake any trawler and play with you and be gone ...
... some boat going 20kts ? .. thats alittle different

... but to post a pic that you didn't take and assume things makes an ass out of u and me:rofl:

Last fall while traveling about 7 knots in central San Pablo Bay, thought I saw the top of a pinniped's head about 15 feet ahead and about 10 feet to starboard. His whole head popped up about 100 feet astern seconds later, confirming his identity and well being. Copacetic. :speed boat:

Perhaps he or a relative were one of those resting/sunning themselves on the channel buoy between Ozol Pier and Benicia in Carquinez Strait last month.

img_84267_0_f344adca3ffbe9ed64a9f3ecbc105f75.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom