Sumpin' changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
About a week or so ago when I opened up TF I had an icon on the right side of the screen, near the top, that said "Click here to login". It's about 2" wide x 1/2" tall.

Once I click on it I'm in. No password needed, etc.

Whassup wi dat? How do I get rid of it?

Click the little "Remember Me" box?

Ask your grand kid. They will know a lot more than us!!:thumb::D:facepalm:

Close ALL browser sessions and flush your browser cache. IF you use Google Chrome, then launch a new browser session in Incognito Mode.

The behavior your describing would be occurring if you had a cached session cookie. Session cookies are cached in memory by default. A persistent session cookie would be written to disk in a temp file and applied to all browser sessions sending requests to web servers using the same cookie domain.

TF does not use persistent session cookies to my knowledge. When I close all browser sessions and flush the browser cache, I am prompted to logon again.

Last edited:
I had the same thing. Went to Settings, Safari, and dumped all website data, logged in anew, back to normal now.

The behavior your describing would be occurring if you had a cached session cookie. Session cookies are cached in memory by default. A persistent session cookie would be written to disk in a temp file and applied to all browser sessions sending requests to web servers using the same cookie domain.
Ummm, Shrew, could you please translate that to "Old Fart English"? :confused:

I didn't see any "Remember Me" button anywhere. Is it hidden?

Ummm, Shrew, could you please translate that to "Old Fart English"? :confused:

Translation Below

Close ALL browser sessions and flush your browser cache. IF you use Google Chrome, then launch a new browser session in Incognito Mode.

When I close all browser sessions and flush the browser cache, I am prompted to logon again.

I never have to login or give a password. Good thing I might not remember the password.

Hello,
am having trouble with selecting discussion links from home page getting a error page suggesting it might be cookies not being allowed. I have changed in preferences and opened Firefox browser to except everything. There are occasions that it takes me to link chosen but only occasionally after several tries I managed this one to open.
On a Linux mint 19.2 Cinnamon OS.
Tried uninstall Firefox removing all files and Reinstalled yesterday seemed ok for a while but now back to were it was.
This has been going on now for a week or so.
Does Not do it from another windows 8 Laptop but the same on another Linux machine ?
Could any one help me with this please.

Thanks George

The recent Firefox update has been a headache for many users. For some folks a reinstall of Firefox seems to help as does disabling browser add-ins. Frankly my best advice is to Try chrome. The forum has not changed....

I clear all cookies and website data whenever I am done. Some sites give you this pop-up that says if you log in you agree to cookies but if you check your data the site has already set a cookie and a bunch of web data even if you don't log in.

I still have the big box displayed but I always choose the little one because I'm paranoid.

Thank you Janet H although I feared that would be the main remedy as I avoid anything google especially on main machine which is becoming harder and harder to do.
Have logged on now and directs me to thread from on the right of home index page but not the sub categories it gets redirection error.

Xsbank Its a shame your paranoia is not shared by a great deal more IMO. My Firefox settings are to delete all at close of Firefox turn off all conveniences including password manager.

Will get around to dumping OS and reload fresh if it continues as I dont doubt at my end just hoping others using Linux systems may of had an idea or make aware.

Thank you appreciate George

It disappeared. THe "Click to log in tab" disappeared.
I tried the remedies mentioned above to no avail.

T'was a pain in the neck but I could not seem to find a way to get rid of it untill it left for parts unknown, hopefully permanently, on its own or some benefactor.

I never have to login or give a password. Good thing I might not remember the password.

I hate all this kinky computer stuff.
Dave we need to get over it and but some time into the kinky stuff and the lingo. Get religious about pass words. I got hooked into one e-mail and had my pass words scattered around the house. And some never got recorded.
Big time trouble. Couldn’t use my e-mail .. or even my new e-mail. They would only do verification on the old e-mail. Everything seems to get interconnected. Now I take more notice and make sure any new passwords get recorded and secure. With your statement above you must be more isolated than me.

Good luck

:banghead::banghead:Sign of the times, I have an encrypted excel file kept elsewhere with 182 passwords for all the things I do on the inter web.

I use Foxfire and frequently get the "may not post" box and have to sign in again .

After a couple of posts I have to go to some other site for a while and try again.

UGH!!!

It disappeared. THe "Click to log in tab" disappeared.
I tried the remedies mentioned above to no avail.

T'was a pain in the neck but I could not seem to find a way to get rid of it until it left for parts unknown, hopefully permanently, on its own or some benefactor.

I had the same experience; first the "log on" box for several days, and today it's gone. I did none of the steps recommended above. I think something changed on the forum, and was changed back.

Overall, a minor annoyance. Assuming you've saved your logon credentials and don't delete cookies for this site, it's just one extra click. Hardest part was drawing a blank for a moment because the "New Posts" link was missing until I clicked the new log on button.

You guys aren't alone. About the time this thread was started, I was also having similar issues. Tried lots of steps recommended here (and elsewhere) to no avail. Then, one day about 2 weeks ago or so, it seemed to change on its own. No more need to sign in each time. It seems to have returned to our old 'normal' now.

I have no special bonefides in tech...it ain't my forte! I'm just an avid boater with a computer problem like many of us here. I'm just as perplexed as the rest of you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom