Marine Trader Steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Coupler

I built a new steering shaft coupler that clamps harder.
I have about 10 hours cruising and there are no problems evident.

Pappy Chris :dance:

Attachments

• 4 011.jpg
    4 011.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 163
Is it just my vision , or is the shaft to the left of your coupling on the photo rusty ?

Yes it is. It is the original shaft. A (bad) section was cut out and the replaced by a new section a coupling at either end. What remains is solid.

Battery Charger Update -- I warmed the transformer in the over for about an hour on low heat. I then thoroughly saturated the windings and core with shellac. Re-installed the transformer into the case, hooked up the wires and put power to it. The transformer was substantially quieter. Quiet enough to now notice one of the capacitors was buzzy. It had 2 caps, 1- 6 Mfd and 1- 4 Mfd. So after a little search I found replacements at Grainger for $7.50 each. They went under the title of a motor starting capacitors. Same thing.
Today I got it re-installed back in the boat and I was satisfied with the results. Slight detectable hum can be heard in the cabin. I usually only have the charger on when I'm not there at the boat so no harm. Roughly $30, a little research saved and a little labor me a couple of hundred. Happy Day!

Pappy Chris

Some time ago at my place of work a maintenance Planner told his Leader that he got called out on the weekend. The Leader said "Oh? and why was that"? He said that there was an issue with a Transformer on a certain train. "What kinda issue" asked the Leader? Oh the planner said "the transformer was humming". The Leader accepted that.

Then on Monday morning the planner told his Leader that he had to come in again on the weekend. The Leader asked again, why? Again the Planner said there was a problem with the same Transformer as last weekend. "What was wrong this time and why are you getting called instead of the technicians"? asked the Leader. Well said Merv, "it was humming again and since I have lots of Transformer background knowledge they decided to call me again". The Leader again accepted it.

Then once again on the next Monday Merv told his Leader the same story. The Leader was now disturbed and asked "what in the world do you do to fixed it, and why aren't you fixing it permanently so that you don't get called out every weekend"? Well said the Planner, "I just teach it the words". It isn't my fault that the same guy keeps calling me out, he just don't understand that most transformers hum when there is a load on them and all I tell him is is I got it fixed and it shouldn't hum any more. Merv said that he guess when the new operator does his rounds he thinks there is a problem so he calls him to come in and Merv said that he didn't mind coming in. :dance:

Merv doesn't work there anymore.:nonono:

Elwin

Funny........
But, it was loud. It's now tolerable.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Back
Top Bottom