View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For boaters with a fair amount of experience is many waters....

Doesn't matter whether you are an armchair sailor with a stack of mags with all the articles written on this very subject or a cruiser who plys the ICW every year...ANY boater worth their salt has seen or first hand or read about how to properly do a ICW pass. Now of course there's some disagreement and interpretation...of just what is a proper pass......but all in all it all works out to be the same. Pay attention or read the mags...it's not hard. How is it done???? You either know or don't.

Tug and barge on the ICW or entering NY/Philadelphia/Norfolk ports??? We are just speed bumps to them. Talk to a few cappy's...they will tell you that if they run you over....their first beer that day will taste the same. Call them if you want (and I agree that you should) but don't expect a reply...you should but won't always get one. they just assume you know they will run you over so they expect you to behave accoringly...very simple.

Me??? I say fly on by...if there's a wake...I'm ready for it and only lasts a few seconds...if none...so much the better. Back in the East...sailboaters are just as clueless as anyone...MAYBE better read but no more practical experience on the whole. For those that want to talk sailing...remember a lot of trawler owners probably have more experience sailing than most sailors...that's why they own trawlers now..

Wanna know why many boaters blow through no wake zones??? Teach hands on boating or do deliveries with owners aboard for a couple decades...you'll figure it out real quick.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote