Electrician in FLL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a quick thought. The zip recruiter page shows salaries but any business whether large or small one person business has lots of overhead so the actual price to us will be significantly more. I know what you mean though. It's really hard to get all three - good, fast, cheap. I'm having a hard time finding one in the Daytona Beach area.

Land side or boat side? If boat, then there is an option to travel to somewhere besides the yacht capital of the world.

Greetings,
Mr. L. I fully understand a certain amount of profit margin and I have NO problem with that provided the work is done in an efficient manner. I'm NOT necessarily looking for fast or cheap, at this point (reasonable would be a better adjective).

What I DO find frustrating is a $100+/hr fee for questionable performance combined with a "that's good enough" attitude.

I need someone who knows what they're doing AND takes pride in their work.

Edit: Mr. dd. Boat side but she will remain at the dock.

One of our best experiences with any service company on either of our boats has been with Ward's Marine Electric, with offices in FLL and Riviera Beach. Might be cheaper if you go to Riv Bch for the work, and if Paul Connolly still works for them, ask for him by name. He's done a LOT of work on our boat, both the AC and DC systems, and we've been very, very impressed.

One of our best experiences with any service company on either of our boats has been with Ward's Marine Electric, with offices in FLL and Riviera Beach. Might be cheaper if you go to Riv Bch for the work, and if Paul Connolly still works for them, ask for him by name. He's done a LOT of work on our boat, both the AC and DC systems, and we've been very, very impressed.

Good, Fast, Cheap - Pick one, you can’t have it all.
Wards should do the Good part and maybe the Fast part.
You really want to pick Good.

"What I DO find frustrating is a $100+/hr fee for questionable performance combined with a "that's good enough" attitude."

I've run into those and it is very frustrating. I've found that the best source of information for me has been asking locals who have had similar work done for references and then looking at the quality of the work that was performed. Not always possible though. One of my pet peeves is sloppy workmanship- a screw not tightened, debris left around the bilge, even tools left behind.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Please re-read my post #4: " I'm NOT necessarily looking for fast or cheap, at this point (reasonable would be a better adjective)." Good is imperative. I am also heavily leaning towards an independent contractor who will get ALL the $$ as opposed to a company that will take their cut. Surely not all the good, reasonable electricians are not employed by companies...

Greetings,
Can anyone recommend a competent, reasonably priced marine electrician in Fort Lauderdale, please? Shore power system. I'm becoming weary of being gouged ever time I attempt to hire anyone Thanks.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salari...lectrician-Make-an-Hour-in-Fort-Lauderdale,FL

If you're posting the zip recruiter link thinking for one moment it represents the average pay of marine electricians, then that's a problem. It represents ads they've seen. Ads are generally for entry level positions or at the least people with little experience. Also, those paying less have to advertise for people far more. However, I can tell you without hesitation that the average marine electrician employed by major yards or Wards or others makes far more than those numbers. Those employers are paying from the upper end of what zip recruiter is seeing in the $30-35 range and as high as $45 or even $50 for lead electricians. Now, a company typically would charge 2.5 times pay but no less than 2 times. At one time they were likely to target 3 times. Add 20% to rate for fringe benefits, add for non billable time, add for administrative costs, add for overhead, and then finally you get a little bit for profit.

Just making it clear that $25/hour is not the average pay for a skilled marine electrician in FLL. If I had to guess, I'd guess in the range of $35 and the most skilled make more than that.

I would second and third those who spoke well of Wards.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Please re-read my post #4: " I'm NOT necessarily looking for fast or cheap, at this point (reasonable would be a better adjective)." Good is imperative. I am also heavily leaning towards an independent contractor who will get ALL the $$ as opposed to a company that will take their cut. Surely not all the good, reasonable electricians are not employed by companies...

As your last sentence is entangled with double negatives and I think fails to technically end up as you mean, I'll respond to what I think you're asking. I would say the vast majority of good marine electricians are employed by companies as opposed to working independently as one man shows. They want the regular and dependable income. The assumption that they can earn more independently is true only in limited cases. As an independent everyone expects them to charge less. Then they have to cover both sides of payroll taxes, they have to cover all other expenses such as insurance. They have to advertise.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. So where's the independent operator that I'm willing to pay $60 to $70/hr for? Low overhead and little to no administrative charges

A moonlighting full time employee that has a w/e free. Will apply more to the smaller jobs, I suspect.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. So where's the independent operator that I'm willing to pay $60 to $70/hr for? Low overhead and little to no administrative charges

Out of business and back to working for a yard or marine electric company. He's making more at $35 an hour working for someone else than he ever did charging $60 per hour.

Greetings,
Mr. dd. What's a w/e fee?

Mr. BB. How do you figure that unless the guy was sub par and couldn't keep a referred client base?

Our son is an independent contractor and he has more work than he knows what to do with. NO advertising. Word of mouth only. He's booked 10 months in advance. He works 70 and 80 hour weeks and he won't listen to dad who keeps telling him to slow down. His response is he's having too much fun...Kids. Go figure.

Greetings,
Mr. dd. What's a w/e fee?

Mr. BB. How do you figure that unless the guy was sub par and couldn't keep a referred client base?

Our son is an independent contractor and he has more work than he knows what to do with. NO advertising. Word of mouth only. He's booked 10 months in advance. He works 70 and 80 hour weeks and he won't listen to dad who keeps telling him to slow down. His response is he's having too much fun...Kids. Go figure.

w/e is Weekend.

Every industry is different. I could make one call and have all the consulting work I wanted at more than I ever was paid. However, let's talk this position.

Obviously you can't book 10 months in advance. In fact, booking is a problem for a one man operation as you can't do more than what one man can do. Your schedule is full, you get a call, you say next week, they go elsewhere. A lot of feast and famine. Now, most Electric marine business is on boats with other things being done and the other people are going to try to hold on to the business or subcontract to you but then they keep a percent.

It's not an easy business to build and marketing or advertising is extremely expensive in the area. There are many limitations on where you can work. You must have bonding and insurance. You also run across customers who schedule and change their minds or boats having other work and not ready for you. You have travel time and people are hesitant to pay it. You must have some form of facility or a major service vehicle. You need manuals available for the equipment you're going to service.

The contractor isn't going to get paid vacation, holidays or sick pay. The contractor is going to have to pay for his own equipment, transportation, storage, insurance and the full amount of health care. The contractor is responsible for both parts of payroll taxes.

To be successful, the contractor would need to charge closer to what others charged and likely need to hire helpers. They'd also need to have the certifications Ward's has.

How do independent contractors make more? Generally by working far more hours and never taking time off. That's the way many small business owners do it. Then some grow and some decide it's not worth it.

The independent will also deal with non payments, chargebacks, even litigation. The independent will absorb the full cost of any mistakes.

One more factor. Those most willing to pay are not likely to be the ones to go to the independent. The guy with the 200' yacht won't. What about 100 ft? Some will. But the independent is getting the customer who wants a bargain price and wants to argue price.

There are these and other reasons you don't find Independent Marine Electricians operating as one man operations in South Florida. It can be done but most often just by someone who doesn't want a boss. Well, the customer is also a boss and the very conflicts they have with regular bosses, they may still have.

There's a long tough road to building a successful independent business. It requires investment and requires low income for years. Most Marine Electric professionals aren't going to choose to go through that when they can make good money elsewhere. Often those you find operating independently were terminated by others.

I don't know of any recommended independents in our area. I wouldn't use an independent one man operation personally. I see all the chasing of them, wanting the lower prices. I also see all those who come here and complain about quality of service. Perhaps in other less crowded markets there's more of an opportunity for them, but not here in South Florida.

I recommend using an ABYC Certified Marine Electrician. There are good doctors, lawyers, landscapers and pool cleaners. Likewise there are sub-par individuals. Same with Certified Marine Electricians. The key point is that they have taken the time and initiative to go through a fairly rigorous certification process. For an independent you will be paying in the area of $100/hour.

Here is the link: https://abycinc.org/mpage/findatech

So, what’s wrong with your electrical? Something you might be able to work out yourself with a little outside help?

You can find some cheaper guys- but do you want them to carry insurance of any value too? Not quite the same, but my building hired a small independent plumber came with a million in insurance.

Our insurance estimate of repair is currently 4.5 MILLION plus the subrogation and over limits for 13 units estimated to be about 1.5m. I personally lost 90% of what I own, 40 years of memories and got out with what I was wearing and my dogs.

Just investigate all angles- to me using larger established businesses is my personal preference now.

You can find some cheaper guys- but do you want them to carry insurance of any value too? Not quite the same, but my building hired a small independent plumber came with a million in insurance.

Our insurance estimate of repair is currently 4.5 MILLION plus the subrogation and over limits for 13 units estimated to be about 1.5m. I personally lost 90% of what I own, 40 years of memories and got out with what I was wearing and my dogs.

Just investigate all angles- to me using larger established businesses is my personal preference now.

So sorry to hear of your story and appreciate you sharing for the lesson it may be. Unfortunately, too often, the cheaper route turns out not to be.

Most marine electricians here are 1 or 2 people, maybe a business owner/tradesman plus an assistant. I don`t see why the provider has to be a big organization to be competent, reliable, and insured. I`ve had 3 work on my boats, none was a big organization, and no issues. I don`t see why geography alters that. And I don`t see it as a price issue either.
In the household area here there are a lot of "aggregators" here who advertise, take a call, pass you to a tradesman and clip the ticket for some $ on the way through. Them I don`t like,I rather deal with the man himself direct.Maybe that has crept into marine work.

Most marine electricians here are 1 or 2 people, maybe a business owner/tradesman plus an assistant. I don`t see why the provider has to be a big organization to be competent, reliable, and insured. I`ve had 3 work on my boats, none was a big organization, and no issues. I don`t see why geography alters that. And I don`t see it as a price issue either.
In the household area here there are a lot of "aggregators" here who advertise, take a call, pass you to a tradesman and clip the ticket for some $ on the way through. Them I don`t like,I rather deal with the man himself direct.Maybe that has crept into marine work.

It's likely that way in some areas of the US, but not in South Florida. There are individuals who work at LMC and other general public yards but the majority of work is done by yards or by Marine Electricians who they use directly or indirectly or allow to do work in their yard. The yard we use has a very extensive list of co-makers.

When I installed marine electronics at a 10 man shop awhile back.....

The type, scope, and location of project often greatly the costs.

If fabrication was involved, bringing the boat closer to the shop was a great price reducer. Even renting a slip for a month more than paid for itself.

Jobs that require huge amounts of grunt work but weren't very tech oriented were often negotiated. The boat owner would hire a tech to lay out the job and later hook things up after "others for less" pulled wires, built platforms, etc....

So if it some serious work....breaking up the job and piecing it out is an option....maybe....just depends.

It's thinking outside the box that helps...of course getting a great company and turning it all over is way more refreshing and relaxing...but finding the is frustrating.

Oh, I just remembered. I worked closely with Island Marine Electric. 401 SE 30 st. FLL

I designed a yacht monitor system, they installed it. Way back in 1990, though; at Derecktor shipyard.

Last edited:
Trinity Marine Electric in Stuart. Yves Deneault leads the most professional and ethical outfit we ever worked with as full-time cruisers. He will travel if you can’t get to Stuart.

You could place a help wanted ad on daywork123.com

When I stayed down in Hollywood, daywork123 is where I picked up engineering work when I needed it.

Just get references before taking just anyone.

Greetings,
Can anyone recommend a competent, reasonably priced marine electrician in Fort Lauderdale, please? Shore power system. I'm becoming weary of being gouged ever time I attempt to hire anyone Thanks.

I have been very happy with Steve Hebert steve@schebertmarine.com
954-330-1212

I think he is $75/hr.

He has been my goto electrician for 14 years and has never disappointed me.

Best electrician in Ft Lauderdale

The best person you can get in Ft L is Damian Lean at Lean Marine 954-767-0112
He is the best and you get what you pay for. He has worked on my last two boats and did beautiful work. If you try to go cheap you will get cheap. Just saying.

The best person you can get in Ft L is Damian Lean at Lean Marine 954-767-0112
He is the best and you get what you pay for. He has worked on my last two boats and did beautiful work. If you try to go cheap you will get cheap. Just saying.

I don't know anyone in Ft L but I like the name Lean Marine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom