Fuel hose size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Anybody know what the standard fuel hose size would be between a 900 series racor to a 2715e mechanical fuel pump???

Mine is 3/8”

I would research the pump and use the recommended inlet size. The Racor 900 should be able to handle any flow rate the pump needs.

61x7tlDc1CL._SX679_.jpg
Everybody should have some type of caliper onboard. It's the only way to be sure.

I use my digital calipers all the time, used them today.

Mine is 3/8” too.

at least for a 120hp...the limiting pipe is between the secondaries and the injection pump...it's only 1/4" or so (if some weird British or metric size I don't know)

No trying to be a smart ass, but the fuel hose ID should be printed on the hose. That is if its not ancient Taiwan hose. When you buy a Racor, it comes with page listing of assorted fittings to choose from. Could be anything from 1/4" to 3/4"ID.

Whatever worked before to satisfaction should be good.

Standard is whatever the PO installed. I think the original cu lines might have been 3/8 to secondaries, 1/4 beyond secondaries. I installed dual 500's and replaced line with 3/8 fuel hose.

Racor does sell fittings that will reduce the huge hole in the 900 to 1/2”. Then you will need a reducing bushing to take it to 3/8”.

Not only Racor but a good hydraulics shop will sell those ftgs. O ring boss. Take the filter with you and they should be able to match you up quite quickly.

1/4" is good up to 200hp so if it's that size or larger you're fine. Use A1 fuel hose for whatever size your fittings are, changing fittings is easy and cheap, cheaper than hose. Racor fittings are widely available, I get the ones that have a female pipe thread so I can use the barb fittings of my choice. Double clamp and secure the hose runs, your Racor should be mounted at least below the top of your tanks and ideally level with your fuel pump.

Last edited:
If running a line from tank to racor and then to engine, it depends on the length of the run and how many fittings and valves are in the path. Without knowing details of such, I would go with 3/8" ID hose and that should be fine. 1/4" probably fine (yes on the engine they already use this), but going some distance to the tank under suction it is better to size up a bit.

Racor fittings readily available in NPT fittings, then get an NPT to hose nipple fitting.

If running a line from tank to racor and then to engine, it depends on the length of the run and how many fittings and valves are in the path. Without knowing details of such, I would go with 3/8" ID hose and that should be fine. 1/4" probably fine (yes on the engine they already use this), but going some distance to the tank under suction it is better to size up a bit.

Racor fittings readily available in NPT fittings, then get an NPT to hose nipple fitting.

A very good point, it costs only a little more to size up to 3/8 over 1/4.

Thanks... See my recent thread for fuel tank disaster...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom