A shame to put it back in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After good results last year, I once again coated my metal with Barnacle Buster.

Dave

Dave - Don't think odd of me (lol) - but - I really do appreciate the design/look of your boat's BUTT! :thumb:

Dave - Don't think odd of me (lol) - but - I really do appreciate the design/look of your boat's BUTT! :thumb:
Easy there big guy! :D

That was just a tease shot... here's the rest! All nice and shiney and waiting for the travel-lift to get to her.

Dave

Attachments

• Whole butt.jpg
    Whole butt.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 94
Typical - Always a dog sniffen the butt :nonono: - LOL

Looks real nice! I like your boat!! :thumb:

Thanks! The butt-sniffing dog is probably trying to figure out how the heck to get on board where she belongs!

Dave

Magicbus,
Nice hull. Interesting how they sculpted the stern thruster into the stern. Is the "Barnacle Buster" a simple "brush it on coating"?
Marin,
I have the 1966 Yachting magazine's "Boat Owners Buyer's Guide" and there are many engines w lots more power than the Lehman. Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar and 6 or 7 others as well. Incidentally Lehman is listed as "Lehman Manufacturing Co" in Linden NJ. THey list a 70 and 108 hp engine of 220 and 330 cu in. And in brackets they say "Econ-o-Power". Perkins made a 160 hp engine. So there were plenty of higher power engines.
Mark,
"rudder is oversized."
If Mr Buehler says so then it must be true. But I would be inclined to ask him "compared to what?". But if I had to say bigger or smaller I'd say bigger.

Seems a shame to put it back in the water and hide them again.......

Agree! My boat looks so crisp and clean just before spring launching. But, I didn't buy her to just look at.

Magicbus,
Nice hull. Interesting how they sculpted the stern thruster into the stern. Is the "Barnacle Buster" a simple "brush it on coating"?
It comes in a spray can and I got it wrong - it's called Barnacle Barrier. It's $23 a can at Jamestown Distributers (click here). I use a can and a half but I have the wing engine and I do all my scoops with it. I get the the Petit thinner to wipe the metal down before application then do two thin coats.

Dave

Magicbus,

Marin,
I have the 1966 Yachting magazine's "Boat Owners Buyer's Guide" and there are many engines w lots more power than the Lehman. Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar and 6 or 7 others as well. Incidentally Lehman is listed as "Lehman Manufacturing Co" in Linden NJ. THey list a 70 and 108 hp engine of 220 and 330 cu in. And in brackets they say "Econ-o-Power".

Eric--- Thanks for the info on diesels back in the 60s. I didn't realize there were that many marine diesel options back then. I knew about Detroits of course, or "Jimmies"--- the 6-71 was the power for my all-time favorite kind of boat--- but I didn't realize Cummins and Cat had entered the marine market that early. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that American Marine did not include speed in their promotion of the attributes of their new Grand Banks line despite the fact that Ken Smith's hull design could be driven much faster than the boats were initially powered to go.

Econ-O-Power was Lehman's brand name for their marinization components. For example, the big coolant-cooled exhaust manifold that is part of Lehman's marinization kit that turned the Ford of England Dorset industrial/agricultural diesel into the Ford Lehman 120 has "Econ-O-Power" embossed into the casting as I'm sure you've seen.

Barnacle Barrier is the least expensive of the three prop coatings offered by the yard in Bellingham. They said it would take two spray cans at $20 each to do both props on our boat. I was considering this but after talking to the yard manager I decided against it. Not that it doesn't work, but because according to the yard it's only effective for a year at most, and less if you use your boat a lot. If we hauled every year and had been having a problem with growth on the prop he said it can be a good idea.

But we use the boat year round fairly regularly winds permitting, and haul (normally) every two to three years. We've never had any issues with growth on the prop and of course we have the boat dove on twice a year and the diver knocks off whatever's managed to get started. So it didn't appear--- and the yard manager agreed--- that in our case Barnacle Barrier would be worthwhile.

Last edited:
1966 we took out a 155 hp Nordberg Knight gasser and put a spanking new Perkins Turbo Charged 180 hp into a 38' one-off, SD hull, raised-deck, FB, Sprotfisher convertable. Keel laid 1951 and hull built by Freeport Point Ship Yard. Interior and decks custom built by the lead master carpenter/shipwright at Brooklyn Navy Yard. Boat was constructed for a NY Harbor Pilot. Best woodie I've ever experienced. Front deck, superstructure and Interior were art work in Philippine mahogany. With the Perkins she’d cruise economically at 12 knts no sweat. As I recall WOT was 15 knts. We had special water foil stabilizers on her keel... that dad designed and patented. Stable Jessie for sure! If she was here and still viable I’d probably buy her. Last seen in RI, circa 1990. Hope she’s still being taken care of, I well remember every inch of that boat!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

img_83572_0_9340f058dee79acf789a8952ff05426e.jpg

Don't mind the scum line, that got fixed the next day - along with that nasty little list to starboard!

Yup......I often thought if one dos'nt want or need top go econo either Cat or Cummins has lots of great engines now too. Big turbo six'es would probably be best. Would be fun to have 400 or more hp on tap but that would prolly make V8s mandatory and that would be a cramped engine compartment. Lots more choices now anyway now.
I'm still having good luck w the ArmorAll on the prop. Good news about the BB. If the ArmorAll fails in Puget Sound i'll have a plan B.
I may haul annually at LaConnor.

Carey has about 420 hp in his lobsterboat and it drives him (when he wants to) at some 15-16 knots. The engine is a Cat six-cylinder turbo diesel (don't know the model). So you can get a lot of power without having to go to a V-8. Any more than what Carey has and I suspect you DO need to go to a V-8. But there are some pretty hefty sixes out there. Lugger is also an engine brand worth looking into. They use Deere and German and Japanese base engines for their marinizations. I believe Lugger is the engine used by Nordhavn unless a customer specifies otherwise.

No problem getting a Cummins 6 cylinder QSM 11 above an easy 600 HP (or higher). Cats C18 six can easily go to 850 HP (or higher). Nordhavns have used MTUs, Luggers, JDs and a few Cummins.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

img_83594_0_9340f058dee79acf789a8952ff05426e.jpg

Don't mind the scum line, that got fixed the next day - along with that nasty little list to starboard!

Hitch a few mules up to her stern, start and put the engines in gear and drag her backwards and you get the back forty ready for spring planting. :)

It comes in a spray can and I got it wrong - it's called Barnacle Barrier. It's $23 a can at Jamestown Distributers (click here). I use a can and a half but I have the wing engine and I do all my scoops with it. I get the the Petit thinner to wipe the metal down before application then do two thin coats.

Dave

I've used the same stuff for a couple years. It's (relatively) inexpensive and works very well. Not 100% perfect, but very well. After the 1st year I had 3 barnacles on the coated areas. The second year had a good bit more but I rarely used the boat that year and it was stinkin' hot and sunny all summer. That may have contributed to the additional growth.

Mark,
All I'm say'in is that your rudder is of average size and I'm sure it works quite well. Not inadequate just not excessively large as I thought you implied.

Eric
If you will refrain from comment about size, I'll show you mine. I turned the rudder to avoid your envy.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 69
That's the Banacle Barrier we've been talking about. Carey has his boat serviced in the same yard we do. As it was explained to me by the yard manager, it's basically zinc in a spray can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom