Stern Rails and Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nsail

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll want to add add stern rails/staples to my new/used boat's swim platform and would appreciate your thoughts.

I see some boats where there are 2, 3 or 4 going across the stern. Some with small gaps between them and some with large gaps between them.

My first reason for them is safety, and my second reason is to be able to store a kayak (on it's side, secured to the staples) there on short, slow runs. The kayak will, of course, be stored above on the flybridge with the dinghy on longer, potentially faster runs.

Anybody have any experience with this? 2 seems like too little with a rather large gap (good for reboarding the boat from the kayak or the dinghy), and 4 seems like too many with small gaps. 3 seems the best for me, but because they're so expensive, I would prefer to have opinions before I spend the money.

And, when using a bridle for towing, do you think it would be OK if the line touches the staples providing it is something small and light (dinghy)? Or, is towing completely out of the question with staples?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, the boat has a standard drop ladder on the swim platform. I'm thinking about getting rid of it and replacing it with an under the platform pull out ladder, which I've read is better for safety if someone goes overboard and nobody knows, and can help them reboard. I suppose it would be best to have both types of ladders, but getting rid of the drop down ladder would create more space on the platform as well as look better.

I don't know what I don't know and realize there may be other factors that I'm not aware of. Any thoughts on these 2 subjects?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Nsail [/FONT said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, the boat has a standard drop ladder on the swim platform. I'm thinking about getting rid of it and replacing it with an under the platform pull out ladder, which I've read is better for safety if someone goes overboard and nobody knows, and can help them reboard. I suppose it would be best to have both types of ladders, but getting rid of the drop down ladder would create more space on the platform as well as look better.[/FONT]

I don't know what I don't know and realize there may be other factors that I'm not aware of. Any thoughts on these 2 subjects?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

There were some nice photos of pull-out ladders in the "MOB -- YOU" discussion/thread. KJ

I did a quick, dirty and inexpensive "staple" which has worked out quite well. It does have a diagonal brace as I couldn't figure out any other way to give it stability as the swim platform is not thick enough to do it the way the big boys do. I suppose I could have devised something under the platform to allow the vertical legs to penetrate through the platform and be braced underneath in some way, but the diagonal brace has not proved to be a hindrance. It might, however, be in the way of a kayak stored thwartships. We do not carry our dinghy on the swim platform, although I think we could with a Weaver davits type of arrangement without the staple interfering. We tow our dinghy on a single line (connected to a bridle on the dinghy) off one side of the transom or the other with no interference with the staple.

Attachments

• Staple.jpg
    Staple.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 205
Nsail:
It would be helpful to know if you have a big or small platform, how thick, what material it is made from, etc. Even something in your profile to identify the type of boat you have, before any of us goes into any speculation about what might work for you.

Yes Kolliver, you're right. Its a 48' Offshore Pilothouse. The platform is 12'6" wide and about 30" deep. Pretty thick (the yard says it's plenty thick and the staples will be very sturdy) Made of fiberglass.

From the 18th picture in the Crows Nest ad, there appear to be 3 staples across the stern. I would go with what the similar boat has.
The hull and deck sure look like a Bayliner 45/47. Does anyone know if the Offshore are made from the old Bayliner molds? If so, go look at some Bayliners and see what they have for staple rails.

Thanks for your responses Koliver. But, do you have any thought on my original question- Does it seem to be OK to tow with stern staples?

And, was that an old ad?

I have no staples, so can't comment on what effect they wil have on your ability to tow. Nor do I know the age of the ad.

Hi, I also have a Offshore 48, I am looking to install Staples also, I would like to know how yours turned out, and what you ended up getting. Thanks Steve

Only example I've seen, this on a custom-built steel cruiser:

Hi, I also have a Offshore 48, I am looking to install Staples also, I would like to know how yours turned out, and what you ended up getting. Thanks Steve

One of the best things I've added to the boat. I decided on 2 and am obviously happy.

PM sent

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom