Old 01-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
FB Wiring Mainship 400

Hey All,

In a somewhat recent thread about Mainship's wiring practices, I lamented that the "Bridge Main" CB on my main panel doesn't seem to do anything at all. I got some good advice that I should look into the wiring under the helm so this weekend I spent some time under there with my multi meter.

What I found is that there are two pretty large single positive power posts mounted under the helm, one on the port side and one on the stb.

The port side post has a single cable going into it and a single wire going out. It is controlled by the bridge main CB. The switches on the port side are tied to this post. They are accessory items, spreader lights, courtesy lights, and the upper trim tab switches. Nothing with any sort of high draw that I can discern.

The stb side post also has a single cable coming in and a single wire out. It controls the switches on the stb side of the helm; electronics, engine start and shutdowns, battery combiner and the micro commander electronic throttles. It is not controlled by the "bridge main" CB, the "DC main" CB or either of the engine CB's. I couldn't find any way to shut down the power to that post. My guess is that it may be on a CB on the panel in the engine room, but I forgot to check there.

The throttles and engine switches are relayed through the other switches on the stb side, they are not tied directly to the stb post.

Any thoughts on this setup? I'd kind of like to be able to control everything on the upper helm with the bridge main CB, so I'm considering running everything to the port post, but I don't want to overload that breaker. I'd also like to be able to shut down the power to the upper helm when not in use without having to climb down into the ER.

Thanks,
Doug
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote