36’ Fu Hwa Aft Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okydowky

Vessel Name
Bygone
Vessel Make
40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Going for sea trial in a few weeks.

I have a few questions which are typical for TT ‘s, and wanting any feed back or things to look out for...

I believe it’s an Oceanis aft queen cabin, 2 heads, hard top over sun deck
Twin Lehman’s 2700 hrs
Never had teak decks
2015 survey describes bottom with osmosis blister and noted to keep an eye on them during annual haul out.
Original steel fuel tanks.
Boat does show well interior wise, with outside weathered from not being used for 4 years sitting in the elements.

What’s your thoughts or opinion? Much appreciated...

Can you share the ad? Good luck with the sea trial and purchase, if that comes next.

Greg.

Hi Greg, this boat Is not advertised yet. The owner has given us the first opportunity to look at her, and spend a couple nights on it to make sure it works for us.
I was hoping for some input from TF of issues other than the obvious common ones these boats have while I am on it for 2 days.

Troy

Not ever having teak decks is a plus. We had a single engine Fu Hwa 38' aft cabin and it was always a fresh water boat so most of the 30 year equipment was still in decent shape. My biased opinion is they are no better or worse than any other Taiwanese Tub of the 1980's. Having twins on a 36' boat really cramps the engine room. I wouldn't be that concerned about the blister(s) but it would be best to get a new survey.

You also might want to check out the availability and cost of insurance for the boat. Have read of numerous owners having a difficult time obtaining reasonably priced insurance for 30 something year old boats. That problem may be greater in FL than the PNW.

Thank you Donsan, your name of your new vessel concerns me you had a bad trawler. No mo trawler, lol.

Having twins is a catch twenty two, I realize double the trouble and costs to maintain. I like the security of 2 engines, not to often both engines go down if you keep your fuel clean and separate isolated start batteries.
We are currently are in a 1984 Carver 3227 that is a very beautiful vessel, our issue is we have out grown it for anything longer than a week stay. We want to do longer travels this year, so a boat with a better fuel range and storage is priority.

We like the older era vessels and the trawlers no matter what make really tic the list of needs we are looking for. We are just going through the thought process of do we have time left in our boating season to be owned by teak exterior. Don’t get us wrong we love teak and appreciate all the work everyone of you put into your wood, a wood vessel beside a fibre glass one is no comparison for us.

Our new to us boat would be lucky enough to be in our shed, so the maintenance would hopefully be minimal once all caught up.

My biggest worry is fuel tanks!! I have researched enough on tank replacement on twins, and that you need to pull the engines. If you go that far you might as well go through every system, so to us it’s a big commitment and you better love your boat because that money would probably be gone except 10 cents on the dollar.

We are looking forward to sleeping on the boat for 2 nights, I think we are fortunate to get this feel of a boat prior to signing.
The owner is a great guy, he has seen our well maintained Carver and wants his trawler to go to a good home.

Troy

We loved our Fu Hwa.

Carvers make excellent use of space. I would be surprised if you find a 36' boat more than incrementally roomier. You will also be limited to under 10 knots max on the Fu Hwa.

I had to look up West Kelowna on Google Maps but are you able to navigate from your home down to the Columbia River from your home?

I would be willing to bet "commodave" will chime in here soon. I believe he has a TT and is halfway through a fuel tank job on his twin engine trawler. So I will leave the fuel tank comments to him . All I know about steel tanks is that they will generally fail at around 30 years. You have not given us the age of your boat so consider this info.

As to all the other issues related to T.T.s . They all depend on previous care. Windows, pumps, electronics, toilets, plumbing, etc, etc.

Generally all Taiwan trawlers are sisters. Several basic molds, many different yards. And,again generally speaking, they are mostly good, solid reliable boats. Many or most are F.L. powered. They will go 5,000 hours before they need to be evaluated and many go 10 or 15,000 before needing work. The ones built in the 79's and 80's are usually overbuilt, many have hulls over an inch thick.

Twin engines...I prefer a single but lets not open that "can of worms" . 36 feet is minimal length as far as room for twins is concerned. Add a genny and the basement gets crowded. Again, read between the lines when "comodave" replies. His back is giving him problems and finishing his "tank job" may have to be hired out. Twin engines can limit owner ability to get a job done. Dave.. which came first? The bad back or starting a twin engine removal job?

OK, lets gat back to your boat. A T.T. which has been around for a few years. Some "deferred maintenance", we will assume the price is right, Twin F.L. with low hours..

Go For It.... (my standard answer)

pete

We can not navigate anywhere from the Okanagan, 2 beautiful large lakes is all we have. Our Carver has been on those lakes for the past 17 yrs, and now resides on the west coast of BC.
We waited for years to get to the ocean and this past summer we made the move with it. Spent all summer on the inside passage and found our boating spark again.

We are probably the slowest Carver on the ocean doing our 6-8 knots and at times just drifting with the currents. I have to say learning the passages with some power behind us was a god sent and really made us appreciate the ocean fast. We are still in awe of how crucial being 15 min to late or to early could mean for comfort going through some of these waters.

So 10 knots will be fast for us and keep are charting skills sharp, and are watches tuned for slack tide... lol

Troy

Hi Pete, it’s a 1988! Lol so 31 ok possibly 32 yrs old. So probably needs tanks, buuut never had teak decks so maybe there is hope there is a few more years left in them. Or plan on doing them while I’m younger and back is so so still.

Engines are twin 90 FL with 2700 hrs, have not seen maintenance records.

I realize pricing is always how much some is really willing to pay for your boat. I think I have seen every trawler from coast to coast for sale or already owned, with prices all over the map. People pay a lot for the prestige of the high end models and other are frugal and have no problems with soft decks and pealing window trims.

I don’t need prestige, just good bones and enough boat left that we can restore to its former glory.

The tank swap cost isn’t a huge deal or the work. The bonus is you check a lot things off your list of upgrades and add piece of mind for many years. I Have to make sure she is the one....thats all.! It’s a lot of money for nothing if she isn’t.

Lol, I am guilty of lying on the couch with a gitty smile on my face as my wife peaks over my shoulder and I am looking at possibly my new engine room. Or turning the grey rails back to the brilliance they once were. Yes I know don’t get attached....

On the down side for us is we live aways from the boat so nothing will happen quick unless we hire it out. And did I mention we are not rich, and I strongly believe it you want it done right you do it yourself.

Troy

Hmmmm, twin 90 hp Lehmans is a different story. I just assumed you had twin 120's. I don't know much about the 90's but I don't see any reason they should not be as good as the 120's. Talk to Brian at American Diesel, he is the expert. I am an unashamed advocate for single engine trawlers but I really see the advantages of the smaller 90's. Great idea!
Probably make the tank replacement easier also.

Regarding the tanks. Probably as many rust out from the outside as rust from the inside. If your decks never leaked and the tanks are sitting a bit off the floor you may have beat the outside rust issue. Now, if you have a conscientious previous owner who kept moisture out of the inside of the tanks your 30 year old steel tanks could be good for another 30 years.

Good Luck, Go for it,

pete

Yes I will have to do a bit of investigating on the twin 90 set up. Not a lot of info pops up on them, they seem to be popular in the sail boats. Certainly a lot of the 120’s in Trawlers with a very good reputation.

How bad can it be twin 4 Bangers? Sounds like pretty good fuel mileage compared to the twin 350’s gasser’s I have been feeding for years...

Here are a couple stats given to me from the owner: 7.5 knots @ 1850 rpm = 3.5 US Gallons, how does does this compare to your single 120?

Curious if any one has stats on twin 120’s fuel burn and speed?

Troy

If the boat never had teak side decks, the steel tanks may be in great shape. Ours are, and our boat never had teak decks. Most commercial fishing and work boats have steel tanks that hold up for many decades.

Those numbers given by the P.O. don't make any sense to me. There must be something wrong with them.

My boat is very similar to the one you are looking at. Same size, probably the same weight, etc. Sisters. Mine is a single F.L. 120. At the same speed and RPMs (roughly) I burn less than 1.5 gph. No way should those 90s each burn quite a bit more than my single. Unless they are being overworked which does not sound likely. Speed and RPMs sound about right.

I am only familiar with my F.L. 120 which I have always kept in good "tune". Here is a question for the group.

Will an "out of tune" diesel. i.e., bad fuel, dirty injectors, out of whack injection pump, poorly timed. Give such poor fuel economy?

Come on Dave, we need your expertise on twin F.L.s

pete

My 40 Albin/120 Lehman over 20, 000 mile/3500 hrs and a set of new injectors has faithfully averaged 3.3 NMPG, 2.0 GPH, at 1650-1700rpm (close to performance charts) and 6.3 knots. Actual on the water data, not "perfect condition" or "singular run" data.

Though the years after conferring with trusted Lehman owners, seeing Floscan data, factory performance charts, my own experience and having more than a few hours underway..... I disbelieve a huge number of poster's data.....but always possible.

Not really calling them liars as much as disbelieving their calculations that could be different for reasons such as propping, real vessel weight/trim, bottom smoothness, conditions, measurement accuracy, etc...etc....

The comment on the tanks is also possible....when I cut my ranks out, even though very rusty on the tops, they were very solid overal couldn't guarantee the welds were perfect though.

Last edited:
Well I have nothing to defend the fuel burn just what PO has declared which I would still be ok with it coming from gassers’ .

How is the noise level in the salon area when under way on a cruise? I am not familiar with FL or not much experience with engines mid ship.

How would a 5kw Onan generator be for interior salon sound?

We have 6.5 Onan presently that I feel it hums through the hull and cabin and it’s 12” from the transom so pretty much outside of the living space. Its actually quieter sitting on top of it outside on the deck. I may look at better mounts when we get back to it this spring.

I believe that Fu Hwa trawler is still for sale.May I ask why you didn't buy it.I'm looking at it myself.

F.L.s are a bit on the loud side. Don't know what the level would be with twin 90s/I am always on the flybridge anyway so noise is really not an issue. Occasionally if weather forces me to navigate from below I gladly trade a little extra noise for the added warmth.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom