Wilcox Crittenden Skipper II 1550 Marine Toilet for Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sigma362

New Wilcox Crittenden Skipper II 1550 Marine Toilet for sale. Purchased from West Marine in 2008 but never installed. Located in southeastern Michigan. $1600 firm

Attachments

• F4B927A0-2DEB-4CDD-B34E-93E4149334D3.jpeg
    F4B927A0-2DEB-4CDD-B34E-93E4149334D3.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 77
I am firm on $1600. It seems to be the only Wilcox Crittenden head available.

I really hate to break it to you, but the Skipper II isn't a W-C Skipper. Thetford bought W-C about 10 years ago because W-C was the US importer for Tecma and they wanted Tecma...they promptly discontinued all the W-C products. The Skipper II is a cheaper version of the Skipper--and not a very good one--that Thetford only made for a short time.

The difference becomes obvious when you compare the drawing and parts list for the W-C Skipper with those in the owners manual for the Skipper II that clearly identifies it as made by Thetford (photos of 'em below that I hope will show up as thumbnails and not bedsheet size!).

Fwiw, real W-C toilets in various states of repair turn up fairly regularly and are quite popular with people who are into restoring vintage W-C toilets. Someone on another forum is currently trying to find parts for an Imperial (forerunner of the Skipper) and just recently I had an email from someone who's restoring a Winner (earliest model). There don't seem to be any for sale at the moment, but I did turn up one in good working order for sale 4 years ago for $350 on another forum...2nd post was a was a buyer.

--Peggie

Attachments

• Skipper II Manual.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 35
  • W-C Skipper drawing 640k.jpg
    W-C Skipper drawing 640k.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 85
  • W-C Skipper Parts list 640k.jpg
    W-C Skipper Parts list 640k.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Wow Peggie! I see a new hobby in my future. ?
Even the last ones that WC made weren’t great. I ran into a couple of brand new ones that leaked at the base. The bottom plate wasn’t flat and the paper gasket wouldn’t seal.

I'd bet real money those were actually Skipper II made by Thetford. If you click on the link to the owners manual for it that I included in my post above, you'll see that they kept the W-C logo but added "a Thetford Product" in small print right below it.

--Peggie

Welcome to the forum! Do you have a boat, want to have a boat, or just have boat parts?

Hi Greg! We've both been hanging out here long enough that I don't think that was meant for me!

But just in case...I no longer have a boat...don't want another one...and no longer sell anything, not even my own book. The only thing I still have to offer is free advice...which is prob'ly worth just about what it costs folks.

--Peggie

I'd bet real money those were actually Skipper II made by Thetford. If you click on the link to the owners manual for it that I included in my post above, you'll see that they kept the W-C logo but added "a Thetford Product" in small print right below it.

--Peggie

My memory may be going but I think WC had switched a lot of their production to Mexico before going out of business. I think these toilets were made in Mexico.

North and Judd owned W-C for decades and had moved their production (at least their toilet production) to Nicaragua and stopped paying any attention to it. Tooling and other things important to the production of bronze components became seriously worn out, resulting in toilets that leaked and other problems, but that was in the '90s. N&D sold W-C to a couple of investors who moved production back to the US with all new equipment and made top quality toilets again. But unfortunately they ran out of money and had to sell it...I don't know who bought it, but never heard they moved production to Mexico...Thetford bought it from them...I don't remember what year, but it's entirely possible that it was Thetford who tried making W-C toilets in Mexico before they folded W-C altogether.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I’m probably thinking of some from Nicaragua. Never bought any from Thetford.

Welcome aboard...you'll be a great addition to the trawler forum!

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom