34T Mainship - 45lb Mantus anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panhead56

Veteran Member
Good morning,
We own a 2009 34T Mainship flybridge. The current anchor is a delta 35lb. I was hoping that someone with a similar model could tell me if the 45lb Mantus anchor (roll bar) would fit on our pulpit.
We spend many hours on the hook, Southwest Florida area. When the winds shift near and up to 180 degrees, the delta will pull often, with recommended scope.
Thank you

Probably not. The hoop will be blocked by the slot in the bow pulpit.

But Rocna and Manson both have good anchors with no hoop. I like the Rocna Vulcan better than the Manson Boss. The wings on the Boss stick out too far. Maybe those make it work better, don't know.

David

The Mantus M2 is another non-rollbar option.

Thank you, when we get back home I will continue my research based on your comments.

I used Rocna guide . It gave me a good idea but because it is 1 dimension it was difficult to judge. In the end it fit and is a great anchor

I'm looking to upgrade my anchor on my 06 34T. Only 22lbs now and want something in the mid 30s. Were you having issues holding with the 35 or just going for more piece of mind?

Thanks,

Don

I'm looking to upgrade my anchor on my 06 34T. Only 22lbs now and want something in the mid 30s. Were you having issues holding with the 35 or just going for more piece of mind?

Thanks,

Don

I have been happy with the SuperMax 15, a 35-pound anchor.

Attachments

• Spotlight w nav lights.jpg
    Spotlight w nav lights.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 42
I had a 22lb Delta on my Great Lakes 33 and had no issues in the 6 years we owned it. A 35lb Delta should be all you would ever need unless your anchoring in some outlandish conditions. But to each his own, that's why they make so many different kinds of anchors and why TF has so many threads on them :banghead:

I used a 44 lb Rocna. As far as I was concerned it fit fine. Probably looked funny to many but it was secure when stowed and we slept well on the hook.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 45
The Mantus roll bar is wider and sits further out than the Rocna, so it may come up over the end of the pulpit. Mantus shows this on their site and gives some measurements for determining if the roll bar and pulpit will interfere.

Winter is good time for reading: Happy Hooking, The Art of Anchoring, by Alex and Daria Blackwell. Once you go through the book you will know your next step: anchor weight, type, the rode and the scope. Excellent book and many studies on anchor type performance, so not just the comment from one boater.
Jacques:thumb:

We were hoping for an anchor with a roll bar. After viewing videos on how the anchor with a roll bar would turn 180 degrees and reset. Our 34 lb Danforth will hold under very strong winds. But when the winds change direction the anchor would sometimes pull.
My Anchor watch app warmed me a few times.
Thank you all again. Great information on this site like always...

The modern non-rollbar types like the Spade and Rocna Vulcan should have similar behavior in a 180* shift to the rollbar types. They bury similarly, they're just shaped a bit differently to avoid needing the rollbar to make them land upright.

I used a 44 lb Rocna. As far as I was concerned it fit fine. Probably looked funny to many but it was secure when stowed and we slept well on the hook.

The rollbar is hitting before the anchor in 'in the pocket' so to speak. The shank isn't hugged up to the roller. It is stable because the roll bar is putting pressure and rubbing the underside of the bow pulpit.

Rocna made the Vulcan to improve fitting a through-pulpit design. 44lb Rocna Vulcan works fine on a 350 which is very, very similar and in the same class as a 34T.

I had the Mantus with the roll bar, and while it fit on my boat, it was a close call. I also had issues with the length of the shank causing the chain to hop off the windlass. I eventually fixed all of the various issues, but the anchor I chose was the Rocna Vulcan, which I love.

anchor

Good morning,
We own a 2009 34T Mainship flybridge. The current anchor is a delta 35lb. I was hoping that someone with a similar model could tell me if the 45lb Mantus anchor (roll bar) would fit on our pulpit.
We spend many hours on the hook, Southwest Florida area. When the winds shift near and up to 180 degrees, the delta will pull often, with recommended scope.
Thank you

I don't know what your set up looks like. I have a GB 36. I use a Mantus 45 with the bar and a Mantus anchor swivel. Works like a charm. Sets immediately and has never dragged. In a calm anchorage 3/1 works fine. Small storm coming, 5/1. Big storm 7/1. Typically we anchor in 10-12 ft, sand/mud bottom.

34T anchor

We owned the 2004/5 34T Mainship.I took our Fortress off and installed a 44 pound Rocna with the rollbar. It fit like a glove into the pulpit with no negative issues dropping or retrieving. Im not sure if can access my photo album. CHEERS,Larry

Mainship Anchor Upgrade

I had the Delta on all 3 of the Mainship's I have owned, the Trawler 390, Pilot 34 and current boat Pilot 43. I had occasional trouble with the anchor holding, as well as setting on both the 390 and the 43. It worked fine with the Pilot 34.

I changed our anchor on the Pilot 43 to a Rocna Vulcan 33, which weighs 73 lbs. This model does not have the roll bar, which lets it fit under the anchor pulpit. I have been extremely happy with the Rocna, as it sets right away and holds. A real test came last season anchored in Vineyard Haven when a surprise tornado hit nearby, causing extreme swirling winds. Not expecting a storm, we had normal 5-1 scope out (chain) and it held with the rock jetty just behind us. I did have the engines on just in case, but didn't need to engage into gear.

The Rocna website is helpful in choosing the model for your boat.

You'll have to make sure that your windlass can handle a heavier anchor. We're at the max limit with ours.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom