Sleeping beneath the overhang of the 390 forward berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
A few years of research told me that the Mainship 390 was the right boat for us. Today was our third visit to a 390 (actually a 350), but the first time we stretched out on the "queen" bed in the forward stateroom. I am 6' 2" and in order for my feet to stay on the mattress, my entire head and shoulders had to be under the overhang of the bow deck.

I might be able to overcome the claustrophobia and I would (eventually) learn to not bang my head on the bulkhead when sitting up in bed, but scootching down in order to swing my feet down onto the floor is most likely a deal killer for us in a Mainship 390. And if that didn't do it, then my wife's inability to overcome the claustrophobia is a deal killer.

Back to the drawing board. Unless I overlooked something. Anyone else encounter this problem? Well after leaving the walk through and discussing our thoughts, it occurred to me that there may be enough room between the foot of the bed and the stateroom door to move the mattress toward the stern enough to clear our heads. Anyone take that approach?

Another detail is that the boat we looked at today was a 350. My understanding is that the only difference between the 350 and the 390 is the name, but I have been wrong my share of the time. Any chance the overhang above the stateroom berth was changed for the 390?

4454726_20130907095424901_1_XLARGE-980x652.jpg

We looked at a 390 before we bought our current boat. Did not notice that but we didn’t lie down on the bed. One known problem with them is the bolt on swim platform taking on water. Make sure this problem has been addressed.

Same issue with our boat. We adapted to the height after after 2 contacts. Claustrophobia could be more personal. I`ve seen beds set up with pillows the other end, but unless you create a bedhead you`d be losing your pillows over the edge.

Thought about approaching it head at the foot style, but the "queen" bed is quite narrow at the stern end and that would add to the challenge.

Trying to get out of bed with head towards the stern in the middle of the night for a pee doesn't sound like much fun. Sounds like it's time for a new dream.

We chartered a few of those. In our case, the overhead wasn't so much of an issue (and I too am 6'2") it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs, and I don't like that idea on a boat. We took to using the fold out couch in the salon, which I kind of enjoyed for a few reasons.

Beyond that we thought they were great boats for their size.

We have a 2003 390. As far as I know the 390 and 350 are exactly the same except for some minor changes in the galley. I am 6' and have gotten used to the low overhead but your extra 2" might be an issue. I do not have to go all the way up to the square part. However I sleep on my side in somewhat of a fetal position and have plenty of room. My wife sleeps on her back but she's only 5' 3" so its not an issue with her. I have bumped my head a couple of times getting up in the middle of the night.
The comment about wave slap is pretty common with most semi displacement boats. it was only an issue with me once and forced me to the sofa bed in the salon.
Other than those issues the 350/390 is a pretty good boat, and a great boat for the money.
John

We have a similar issue with our Nordic Tug 42. I'm 5'9" so getting in or out is not an issue. However, it had a huge impact on other bedroom activities, and not in a good way.

Maybe replace the contoured mattress with a square one and make a simple headboard for your glasses and book and a light which would keep the pillows in place and put your feet under the overhang.

Or shop for a boat with an aft cabin.

pete

The 350 and 390 are different we dock next a 350, 390 is larger in Main salon and aft deck as well as Up top, I am 6'2 and yes if you sleep dead straight you have a concern, I find myself on my side with my knees up, Our Gracie ( our Schnoodle) sleeps over our heads in what we call the cave under the Overhang. We came for a sailboat with a Pullman berth, and we are thrilled. Where is this perfect boat for under 100K?

We chartered a few of those. In our case, the overhead wasn't so much of an issue (and I too am 6'2") it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs, and I don't like that idea on a boat. We took to using the fold out couch in the salon, which I kind of enjoyed for a few reasons.

Beyond that we thought they were great boats for their size.
Need to drink more wine Bow slap disappears

350 and 390 are EXACT same boat with a few minor changes in cabinets and joinery in salon and gallery.

Need to drink more wine Bow slap disappears

I don't like being drunk or deaf when at anchor, but maybe that's just me. Some people can sleep right through the slap, and some don't anchor out much or expose their boat to it. I really like those boats overall, but man, that's brutal. I tried to sleep once as a guest on one, in the little bunk cabin. It was bad there too.

There is a book titled "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolakos, but it`s not about waves and SD hulls. If you look at the Mainship hull, I think the chine "cutaway" starts above the waterline;in my experience of 2 SD hulls, one slapped and one doesn`t,if it starts above waterline there will be slap.

The 350 and 390 are different we dock next a 350, 390 is larger in Main salon and aft deck as well as Up top,

Nope

350 and 390 are EXACT same boat with a few minor changes in cabinets and joinery in salon and gallery.

Yep. We have a 350 and have friends with a 390. We raft together frequently and have walked the gunnels comparing. They are identical with only a few exceptions. The exterior is absolutely identical

Stern Cleats:
-> 350 are mounted on the transom
-> 390 they are inboard with hawses on the transom corners

Handrails:
-> 350: Aluminum
-> 390: SS

Bridge Salon:
-> 350: bench seats
-> 390: Bench seats with two semi-circular backrests

Salon:
-> 350: small semi-useless 'desk' on stbd inside of slider
-> 390: No desk, small shelf instead.

Galley:
-> 350: surface mounted cabinets
-> 390: Flush mounted cabinets
dish storage in port shelf beneath port windshield

Guest Berth:
-> 350: Full size bunk
-> 390: Twins

Master Berth:
-> 350: slightly smaller island berth
-> 390: Slightly larger berth
Taller cabinets

Bow:
-> 390: Samson Post

Windshield:
-> 350: 2 windshield wipers
-> 390: 3 windshield wipers

Gelcoat Color:
-> 350: white
-> 390: a touch of a cream color (side by side, the 390 is has a tiny hint of beige compared to our 350).

....... it was the very loud bow slap, especially at anchor. It was impossible for me to sleep up there without earplugs

Honestly, that is going to occur with any berth in the bow. Unfortunately, there are really three types of people; Either you don't notice it, you do notice and learn to ignore it, or you simply can't get used to it.

it occurred to me that there may be enough room between the foot of the bed and the stateroom door to move the mattress toward the stern enough to clear our heads.

You have the room to either move the mattress aft, or open the head and master doors, but not both. The doors swing inward, and they both come extremely close to the bunk. Plus once you move it aft, you're going to have to crawl in over the foot to get into the berth. Plus access your drawers will be awkward.

Sorry they are Not - I dock next to a 350 it is shorter in Main salon look at the windows on both you will see, and aft deck which reflects up top. forward yes it is identical

Sorry they are Not - I dock next to a 350 it is shorter in Main salon look at the windows on both you will see, and aft deck which reflects up top. forward yes it is identical

Where does that extra length show up overall? According to Mainship, the 350 and 390 are both 39'9" LOA...

The OP might consider an Albin 36, instead. Its master cabin is in the stern. At the risk of boring everyone, the sailing warships of the Royal Navy, back in the day, had captain & senior officers berthed aft, junior officers amidships, and crew forward. (That's why Annapolis cadets are called "midshipmen." You learn a lot reading Patrick O'Brien's "Master and Commander" series of novels.)

Raft next to one with the cleats lined up. Unless they made a mold change in certain years. I'm talking about a 1999 350 and a 2003 390. Every piece of literature I've found indicates it was a name change with the same molds.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

My 2000 390 has aluminum rails and only two Wipers. I don't think too many were exactly the same. Switches were in different places sometime as well.

We have a similar overhang on our Transpac 32 but a full (not walk-around) berth. My 6'4" husband sleeps with feet off the bed. With my claustrophobia I've tried sleeping with my head aft, but I wake up halfway through the night unable to breathe and a headache due to the berth not being level fore to aft. So I sleep kind of curled up, but I've got more room than I would in a walkaround queen. We've only had the boat a couple of years and haven't spent many nights on it, but I do wonder how well we'll sleep if/when we do the Loop.

When boat shopping we looked at several with the overhang the OP mentioned. Was a no-go for us. Settled on our 42' sundeck trawler with an aft full queen walk-around with almost 7' of headroom. Aft lines/fenders are a bit more trouble to handle - but the old saying is so true - all boats are a compromise.

You have the room to either move the mattress aft, or open the head and master doors, but not both. The doors swing inward, and they both come extremely close to the bunk. Plus once you move it aft, you're going to have to crawl in over the foot to get into the berth. Plus access your drawers will be awkward.

That had occurred to me, Shrew. I see Beneteau addressed that problem by replacing the single door with a pair of doors. That might buy 8-10 inches, but I don't think it's enough to get my head and shoulders out from under the cave.

We have a similar overhang on our Transpac 32 but a full (not walk-around) berth. My 6'4" husband sleeps with feet off the bed. With my claustrophobia I've tried sleeping with my head aft, but I wake up halfway through the night unable to breathe and a headache due to the berth not being level fore to aft. So I sleep kind of curled up, but I've got more room than I would in a walkaround queen. We've only had the boat a couple of years and haven't spent many nights on it, but I do wonder how well we'll sleep if/when we do the Loop.

Disappointed to read this, Transpac. We have corresponded about your boat and the possibilities of customizing an Eagle 32, but I hadn't seen this problem coming. Rats!

When boat shopping we looked at several with the overhang the OP mentioned. Was a no-go for us. Settled on our 42' sundeck trawler with an aft full queen walk-around with almost 7' of headroom. Aft lines/fenders are a bit more trouble to handle - but the old saying is so true - all boats are a compromise.

The sundeck layout definitely solves the cave problem, but at the expense of scaling a ladder to reach the dingy. Guessing that's not an issue with my knees today. All boats are indeed compromises. That's perhaps the most valuable lesson I've learned so far here at Trawler Forum.

Bow Slap

I must be a 4th kind of people. The bow slap was comforting, reminded me that I was right where I wanted to be. My wife and I spent 7 months on our 390. The overhang was not bothersome, and with the lights out it disappeared...until I banged my head on it.

I think Cartouche may be mistaking a MS 400 for a MS 350/390...the 400 has a longer house shorter cockpit and is about 2 ft longer overall.

The overhang is a slight issue - but I quickly got used to it and slept just fine. (Though I’m only 6’). The curve above your head is well rounded, so even those couple times I hit it were not painful. We had a couple bean bag seats the kids used in the salon, and stored them under the overhang when not sleeping. This created a very comfortable backrest when we wanted to lounge in bed and read or enjoy our coffee. In regards to the hull slap, it was never an issue for us - and less than some boats I’ve been on. It has to do with the existence of a hard chine and how far above the waterline it is. On the 350/390 it actually is fairly high near the bow - which helps. Every boat has compromises. The 390 is a great all around SD trawler style boat. And yes, the 350 and 390 are nearly identical as others have discussed. I shopped both extensively before buying our 390.

I think Cartouche may be mistaking a MS 400 for a MS 350/390...the 400 has a longer house shorter cockpit and is about 2 ft longer overall.
No I am not but sometimes it is not worth discussing any further. I must have the only 390 that is 41.5 overall not 39, but hey what do I know just learning with a tape measure they are not the same but what the hey, No skin off my nose - enjoy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom