Installing a hardtop on a 2002 Pilot 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamieM

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Foto
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
I plan to install a hardtop on my 2002 Pilot 34 this spring. I have done some initial research and it appears Atlantic Towers can make one up for me. Does anyone have experience with installing a hardtop on the Pilot 34? Looks like a fairly simple install. The only drawback is that I am in Nova Scotia so shipping from the US may be a bit expensive.

Jamie Morrison
2002 Pilot 34 "Foto"
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada

Are you just trying to duplicate the current canvas top in fiberglass which means the sides would still be canvas/Stratiglas or are you trying to duplicate the hardtop and fiberglass sides on the original hardtop Pilot 34. The latter would require much more fabrication, fitting work.

David

I’m thinking of replacing the existing canvas top, not duplicate the hardtop version of the Pilot 34. I’ve attached a photo of what I hope to accomplish.

Attachments

• E9408285-E7C3-4F0F-9CA9-0817881C2809.jpg
    E9408285-E7C3-4F0F-9CA9-0817881C2809.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 61
Actually this is a more accurate photo. Posted the wrong one in my last post.

Attachments

• B8126EEB-4A34-45ED-AC40-6BBDE8294DDF.jpg
    B8126EEB-4A34-45ED-AC40-6BBDE8294DDF.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 57
we have a p34 factory hardtop. if i were in chesapeake and south i'd go with your solution. more air flow. in ne and north, i like the total enclosure plus no leaks.

I had AT build me a custom hardtop for a previous boat. They do nice work. You can have them put keder aluminum tracks on the bottom of the hardtop which will make fabrication of the canvas simple. Shipping was expensive.

we have a p34 factory hardtop. if i were in chesapeake and south i'd go with your solution. more air flow. in ne and north, i like the total enclosure plus no leaks.

I agree with the assessment about airflow needed down here in the South. I have the factory hardtop, but at least mine has the optional vinyl side curtains instead of fixed glass I have seen. If it gets just too too hot, well, at least on this boat, there is always the generator and the rooftop air conditioner to mitigate the oppressive heat.:dance:

Like Rich's boat, our Pilot 34 hardtop had U zippered side windows. That worked pretty well to provide side airflow in the North Carolina area where we used the boat for a few years. But when we moved it to Connecticut and I had the side windows redone I left them solid, ie no U zipper. That worked well in the colder NE environment.

FWIW, that boat got a lot of spray on the windward side in any kind of sea, so we kept the windows closed while underway to block the spray.

David

Last edited:
Just finished fabricating mine a few ago with solar, plan on installing soon

I'll post pics

used Nila core and fiberglass

Even in New England the hardtop with solid glass can get very warm in the cockpit. We have curtains which we put on when at dock/anchor and it makes a huge difference.

Full Hardtop

I'd like to install a fully enclosed hardtop as close to factory or custom similar. Does anyone have a lead for a vendor for this?? I'm on the East Coast, emailed Marlow but no response. I'm unfamiliar wigh the fabrication and install process but presume a high quality vendor could handle this easily. Any thoughts from the Forum??

Try Atlantic Towers in NJ. They made a custom hardtop for me a few years ago and it was very nice, but not cheap.

Expect a performance decline as the factory hardtop on my P30 adds around a thousand pounds.

All aftermarket hardtops look homemade and generally detract from a boats appearance.

Just my opinion

pete

I was hoping to get an original factory hardtop from Marlow, extract a top from a parts boat, or have one manufactured to original factory specs. Looking for a production vendor if anyone has a lead. The bimini frame mounted versions are not our style though we can appreciate their benefits.

I had Atlantic Towers make me a Radar Arch with an eye towards converting it to a full hard top when canvas needs to be replaced. Very happy with their work. Hard top conversion should be a snap.

MS Pilot 34 Hard Top just installed

We just installed an Atlantic Towers hard top.
Install was pretty strait forward. Jamie from Novia Scotia gave a few tips....Thanks Again. Our legs had to be pulled out which made attaching the legs to the top a pain. The job took about 5 hours. I have to run wires now and install the radar, gps, and Anchor/Stern light.

Even though we only had a 25 minute drive on none highway roads AT packed the hell out of the top and made sure I left with the top well protected.

Note that ours has a front truss that eliminated the extra front legs that would go in front of the windshield.
We love the new look but it is louder now at cruising speed.

Greg and Rosie

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_110754.jpg
    IMG_20210804_110754.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210805_180050.jpg
    IMG_20210805_180050.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210805_120627.jpg
    IMG_20210805_120627.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts