Next Boat Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote

" I have very specific design attributes that I consider to be truly aesthetic and Tollys and Nordhavns don't have any of them.

And before you ask, I don't think the Grand Banks is all that good looking either although it does have some of the design features I like in a boat. But the GB would not be in my lineup of what I consider truly good looking boats."

OK I'll bite.What are the design features you look for in a boat, and does that boat exist?

Thanks for your response ....I feel strongly that in order to like your boat you must find something aesthetically pleasing about her. ....It's also comforting to hear you won't be competing against me to buy that nice clean T43 that comes up on the market. :)

Like music and art, people respond to boats and boat designs based on all sorts of their own criteria starting from things they saw as little kids. This was undoubtedly the case with me as the first boat I came to know on a regular basis in Sausalito as a two and three-year old most likely shaped my ideas of what a good boat looks like from that moment on.

There are some Canadians who keep their boats in the Point Roberts marina up at the border to avoid paying various Canadian fees. Several of them have Tollycrafts, and one fellow in particular has improved and perfected his 40-something foot Tolly over the years we've known him to a degree I doubt Bob Tollefson himself would have thought possible. I would venture to say it is the most perfect Tollycraft on the planet. The design leaves me cold from an aesthetic standpoint but he certainly picked a worthwhile boat to put his energy, time, and money into. From everything I have heard about Tollys--- I know several people with Tolly 24s for example-- they are among the best-built fiberglass boats ever produced. While any kind of boat can become a junker given enough neglect, a Tolly in good to great shape is something you can structurally depend on.

Last edited:
Marin wrote

" I have very specific design attributes that I consider to be truly aesthetic and Tollys and Nordhavns don't have any of them."

OK I'll bite.What are the design features you look for in a boat, and does that boat exist?

It doesn't matter what I think. All that matters is what you think constitutes an aesthetic boat design.

It doesn't matter what I think. All that matters is what you think constitutes an aesthetic boat design.

Yo, Marin - This Monterey Clipper design Twick your Wick?? Damn Cool Looking Boat! I like the name too!! :thumb:

5O45Ff5Mb3M33J33Hdc4b20925a83dd97133d.jpg

Last edited:
Marin - Send us a boat pict of what you like... you're a hard one to figure... unlike me, I'm so easy!! If you believe that I gots a bridge to sell ya! :lol:

Maybe we should start a new "A Boat for Marin" thread. I think that he likes Flemings. How about something along these lines. Although the flybridge may not suit Marin's taste.

Attachments

• RB1.jpg
    RB1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 701
  • rb2.jpg
    rb2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 688
Monterey Clippers are a weakness of mine... Fleming 55 is the only boat I've heard Marin speak of replacing his GB with. Not to offend anyone else but I think Willy is very easy on the eyes.

Monterey Clippers are a weakness of mine... Fleming 55 is the only boat I've heard Marin speak of replacing his GB with. Not to offend anyone else but I think Willy is very easy on the eyes.

The old Monterey Clippers are just so damn salty!

5V05Gd5Fc3I33Mb3Nac4bd02f66e6e77315aa.jpg

I like Flemings in that I think it is the best fiberglass production boat out there for coastal-type cruising (not interested in open ocean boating--- been there, done that, got the T-shirt). But while I like the Fleming design for what it is (a really good rip-off of the deFever design used by American Marine for their Alaskan series-- Tony Fleming managed the AM yard back in those days), like the GB it is not on my list of what I think constitutes a really beautiful boat. I have posted photos from time to time in various threads of boats I really like the look of. There has not been one fiberglass production boat among them.

How about something along these lines. Although the flybridge may not suit Marin's taste.

No, sorry.

There is no one boat that I think has it all in terms of design. Well, there's one but it's not anything anyone on this forum would be at all familiar wtih. But I like a lot of very different boats. However each one of them, fast or slow, has certain design elements I really like that are common to them all.

But none of them are production fiberglass cruising boats. There are a few production cruising boats I consider "not hideous" but I can count them on one hand.

But like I said earlier, it doesn't matter what I like. What matters is what each of you like.

Last edited:
Art,
I do really like the Squid. Much more emphasized more swoopy lines.

dwhatty,
I thought it was a Krogen Express but it is'nt is it. I like them both but I think I like the Express better. We have a green Express that that comes to Thorne Bay every year. Sure like to look at it.

CPseudonym,
Thanks for the nice words about Willy. Only new photo I have is the avatar. Healthustler did the art work for me. But nobody's seen it big so......

Attachments

• brightened final.jpg
    brightened final.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 124
Art, That's the appeal of boating, there seems to be enough designs available that one can individualize to express their true taste and sense of style. Take the thread about the boat extension that RTF rightfully described as a billiard table look. Would I buy it? No. But it appealed to someone therefor it exists. Not at all unlike other forms of recreational vehicles be they campers, hot rods, choppers, off road vehicles etc...

There is no one size fits all box that all must conform. Some like just chocolate or vanilla, most seem to fall somewhere in between. What I've gleaned from this Forum is there is enough room for all of our styles in the water we share a love affair with. After all, every boat is a compromise of sorts. What matters is does it fit your idea of what an ideal pleasure craft should be?

manyboats, Thank you for the full size image of Willy.

Last edited:
Me thinks the Coot is as beautiful as Ernest Borgnine. ... Function before/over beauty. ... White, plastic boats, even with the ubiquitous blue canvas, are very booorring.

Eric, your boat Willy is high on my "aesthetics list." She's a "Marlene Dietrich" despite the Willy moniker.

The Coot is very high up on the aesthetic list IMO too. The models without the laundry flying are missing something. But as a day sail owner with a cabin cruiser fetish I'm probably a poor judge of boat design :D

Call me a sucker if you like! :whistling: As is said, each toooo their own!! :thumb:

I'm hooked on Tollycraft hull designs, build quality, interior room/layout, ease of maintenance, affordability, and sea keeping capabilities. Really like their looks too! These are picts of 48'er tri cabin to which we plan eventual upgrade when we retire and cruise Pacific coast. Our current 34' Tolly tri cabin is this boat in minature, but with up galley. Perfect size for our current usage in SF Delta. Most room and comfort I've ever seen in a 34'er.

3708239_0_311219691600_1.jpg

3810439_20111207161856_3_LARGE.jpg

3810439_20111207161835_4_LARGE.jpg

Tony Athens is indeed a Cummins expert. We have a pair of brothers who own a 40 Tolly with Cummins engines and they do not hesitate to make the 100 mile plus drive to bring their stuff to Tony to work on. Sure wish I had a Volvo guru to go to.

Art,
Your Tolly is an absolutely drop dead beautiful Boat from the inside or the outside. Especially the outside. I got in trouble in the office at Uniflite for implying and actually saying other boats may be as good (better) looking as the Uniflite. Everyone there carried on like the Uniflite was the best boat in the whole wide world. They were smart and I was'nt the ideal employee ...too honest. How could I have been so dumb? I do still think the Uniflite is a great boat but it's styling was a bit like a Checker cab. Not really ugly but sort of commercial looking. If I could afford to pay for the fuel I'd love to have a 30' Uniflite. As I recall they are heavier, harder on fuel, softer riding and wider at the chines w better stability. But every Tolly is better looking than any Uniflite and as to build quality I've never heard anything bad about either. Your boat though is probably the best looking Puget Sound production boat ever built.

Art,
Your Tolly is an absolutely drop dead beautiful Boat from the inside or the outside. Especially the outside. I got in trouble in the office at Uniflite for implying and actually saying other boats may be as good (better) looking as the Uniflite. Everyone there carried on like the Uniflite was the best boat in the whole wide world. They were smart and I was'nt the ideal employee ...too honest. How could I have been so dumb? I do still think the Uniflite is a great boat but it's styling was a bit like a Checker cab. Not really ugly but sort of commercial looking. If I could afford to pay for the fuel I'd love to have a 30' Uniflite. As I recall they are heavier, harder on fuel, softer riding and wider at the chines w better stability. But every Tolly is better looking than any Uniflite and as to build quality I've never heard anything bad about either. Your boat though is probably the best looking Puget Sound production boat ever built.

Damn, Eric - Stop It...Ya Gots Me Blushen!! :facepalm:

Your boat is the prettiest by far compared to slab sided production brands... :dance:

But, I do love Tolly's!! :D

Ethanol gas will be a problem. If you buy non-ethanol gas that really is a premium price. Off road diesel cheaper and safer. If you are willing to put up with the problems ethanol gas brings and keep a perfect fuel system, blowers, filters, hoses like new to avoid any leaks than gas is an option, but I've been there and done that and never again.

Presently running two old 3208na Cats. Get good support and the local mechanics know the engine. Had to cut out one fuel tank out since it was leaking, thank goodness it wasn't a gas tank.

Has anyone looked at converting a trawler type boat to run on an electric motor with a generator to supply power to the electric motor or to a set of batteries?

I just saw a video on a steam engine that will burn just about anything.
Small one was set up on a boat Just a little runabout but still. a bigger one could run a generator.

Just wondering about the cost of such a conversion.

SD

Yes. There is a GB running around like that and I have read of other boats that have been converted this way, too. VERY expensive and the consensus was that other than as an interesting technical excercise there is no realized value in the investment. The cost of the conversion will never come anywhere close to being paid for by the fue savings, assuming the same use of the boat after the conversion as before the conversion.

Yeah. I sort of thought that would be the case.

Sd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom