06 34T Plow Anchor Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonW28

Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
In the hopes of not starting the 9,151st anchor discussion I'm going to try and be very specific with my questions. My 2006 34 trawler has a 22lb Delta plow which, based on the way it fits the pulpit, seems to be either the factory anchor or awfully close.

1) Does anyone use this anchor or a plow of similar size on your 34T? If yes are you happy with it and do you sleep confidently in it at night on the hook?

2) Will a 35 Delta or similar fit the pulpit if I want to upsize?

Thanks and hope Santa was good to everyone,

Don

Don
Without getting into a debate I'll try to answer your question.
My '08 34HT has a 35# Delta and 5/8" 8-plait rode and that's what the 34T BOM lists.
I don't know if earlier yrs they went lighter or not - maybe PO swapped it?
I have been happy w/ my 35# but I replaced the 15' of chain w/ 50' and a Mantus swivel last spring before an extended (60+ day) cruise this year. Never had a problem and slept well.
Looking at recommendations for 1 22# it looks like it would be minimal for a 34T and I'd feel safer w/ a 35#
Hope that helps - Welcome aboard TF

I thought the 22 was light as well and plan to go with a 35 unless others say it works well. And you may be right about the previous owner switching it out. If they were just using it for daytime anchoring it probably worked fine for them.

Don

Not probably the same pulpit, but the 35-pound SuperMax SM15 fits mine rather well and is of course an excellent hook.

I thought the 22 was light as well and plan to go with a 35 unless others say it works well. And you may be right about the previous owner switching it out. If they were just using it for daytime anchoring it probably worked fine for them.
Don

The only suggestion I would make is that if you are going to up-size, and I agree, 22lb sounds a bit light for your boat size, then it might be worth seeing if you could lay your hands on a Sarca Excel. Mainly because it has similar dimensions to the Delta, so would be a good fit on your pulpit, but is demonstrably superior as a quick setting anchor. By that I mean it builds on the Delta's already quite good performance, and takes it a further step froward.

I believe there are chandlers in the US and Canada that now carry these - or will get them in.

The number 4 is 35lb (16kg), but for a boat of your weight, I'd sleep easier on the #5, which is 22kg, or 45lb. That's the weight I used on my CHB 34, which I found actually weighed near 11 tons. Just sayin'

Last edited:
I agree with the previous posts, I use a 33 lb Rocna and my backup is a 22 lb Rocna. The 22 is a get home (in no particular hurry) anchor if I lose my primary.

I had no windlass and pulled by hand when I bought my boat or I would have gone up a size from the 15K on my primary. The 10K fits inside under the dinette seat, a larger anchor wouldn't.

Last edited:
I want to upgrade to 35 but having bought an anchor and then paid to modify the pulpit and having bought an anchor and had to replace the pulpit (it had some other issues) with other boats I'm hoping there is someone here with a 34T around 2006 that can say "yep-a 35 XYZ fits the factory pulpit just fine."

A follow-up to Pete’s post

https://www.groundtackle.com/

Ground Tackle Marine in Sidney BC Canada.
Call Chris at 250 516 7888

I agree w the others that 22lbs is light. But 45lbs is overkill IMO. But an extra 10lbs won’t cause you to run bow down.

Last edited:
In the hopes of not starting the 9,151st anchor discussion I'm going to try and be very specific with my questions. My 2006 34 trawler has a 22lb Delta plow which, based on the way it fits the pulpit, seems to be either the factory anchor or awfully close.

1) Does anyone use this anchor or a plow of similar size on your 34T? If yes are you happy with it and do you sleep confidently in it at night on the hook?

Can't speak to your pulpit, but we mounted a 35-lb Delta on our earlier '87 Mainship 34 Mk III, sort of a predecessor to yours, IIRC about a 14K-lb boat...

And we had a few instances where the anchor didn't hold well in the Chesapeake slime. At least one of those occasions was with a big raft of heavy sailboats on our hook, though, so... can't say as it was entirely inappropriate, though. And I don't remember it ever failing in anything harder than soupy or slime bottom. OTOH, if I had it to do today with a slot-thru pulpit design, I'd maybe look at some of the newer but semi-similar (non-rollbar) designs for comparison, maybe Spade, Excel, etc.

(The small Danforth we also used back then sometimes worked slightly better than the Delta in real slime.)

Sometimes you can make a mock-up of a given anchor to get a better idea of what might fit on your pulpit...

-Chris

I want to upgrade to 35 but having bought an anchor and then paid to modify the pulpit and having bought an anchor and had to replace the pulpit (it had some other issues) with other boats I'm hoping there is someone here with a 34T around 2006 that can say "yep-a 35 XYZ fits the factory pulpit just fine."

Don, if the Delta fits the pulpit assembly now, the Excel would also. They have similar shanks and over-all shape, but the Excel does have significant setting and holding characteristics over the Delta. Have another look at the link Nomad Willy put up to see what I mean.
https://www.groundtackle.com

Scroll down, and read the testimonial from a happy Ex-cel owner on there. It might help..?

Last edited:
My 2005 34T came with a 22# Danforth which held in mud just fine. One fine day it held in some other bed so well that I had to cut it loose. I replaced it with a 16K Delta without having to modify anything.

Adding your location to your profile can often help with advice given and received. I'm not sure where Supply is.

I have no idea where Qualicum Beach is either :):). Goggle Supply, NC 28462 if you want to see where we live. Small town on the coast of North Carolina in the U.S.

Don

The 350 Trawler, 390 Trawler and 34T are all basically the same class of boat in regards to overall dimensions, weight, and shape. A friend with a 390 has a 35lb CQR, which is what my boat came equipped with when I bought it.

I upgraded to a 44LB Rocna Vulcan with no issues. I used to use a 22lb Rocna and later 25 Manson Supreme on my 28 foot express (8500lbs). I think a 22lb anchor on a boat that size is a fair-weather lunch hook at best.

I would be upgrading that anchor if it were my boat.

Don
I can say the 35# Delta fits on my '08 MS 34HT. It was what was included from the factory. I added 50 of chain this spring as I didn't like the 15 ft supplied. I reversed the 8 plait nylon rode and respliced it.

Don
I can say the 35# Delta fits on my '08 MS 34HT. It was what was included from the factory. I added 50 of chain this spring as I didn't like the 15 ft supplied. I reversed the 8 plait nylon rode and respliced it.

Good choice. 15 feet of chain is too short. I like 8-plait. It's easy on the hands and stores in a smaller space than 3 strand. It's not as durable as three strand, but with 50 feet of chain, the line is probably never touching the seabed anyway. I have about 120 feet of chain, but only 50-70 ever see sunlight or the ocean.

I use 5/8" 8-plait for my snubbers.

I have a 2007 Mainship 34T that also came with the 22# Delta. It dragged on numerous occasions. The normal Rocna with the roll bar will not fit. So I went with the 44# Rocna Vulcan. I got caught in a microburst on Block Island this past 4th of July week. Lots of boats dragging in a $&@! Storm. I did not move. P.S. it buries itself in about a boat length.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Looks like I have either a 44-45 pound Mantus M2 or Rocna Vulcan on my list of things to purchase. Great to know they fit and work without the expense of trial and error.

Don

Anchor

Thanks and hope Santa was good to everyone,

Don

A 22 lb anchor is not enough for that boat unless you are on a very calm lake with a mud bottom.

I have a GB 36. 200’ of chain. Mantus 45 lb w/anchor swivel. Gulf Coast. Sand/mud bottom.

I placed my own 35-pound SuperMax 15 anchor on a GB36 for the 1400-mile run up to Lake Michigan from the Gulf Coast. I fit well, set quickly, and hld well in currents. The owner of SuperMax told me he thought it maybe a tad small for the boat, but I didn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom