Shower Drain Hose Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pappy Chris

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonshine
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
Has anyone had the luxury of replacing the tub drain hose in the aft cabin head? My drain hose dumps into a water collection box that has a pump and float switch to pump overboard. I was checking hoses yesterday and the drain hose crumbled.
Grrrrr. Looks like a tuff job for such a menial issue. :banghead:

Pappy Chris

yes...redoing my sump now...gonna ditch the float switch and put an external mounted (baitwell type) bilge pump that will be operated by a switch in each shower. Mainly because getting INTO that sump is almost impossible when I reinstall it so the external pump will make repair easier.

as for hose...gonna use the lightest weight, cheapest hose I can find...hopefull some of that segmented bilge pump hose cause it's light and bends so easy.

MY box is inside the stringers and the hose runs over to the tub on the other side. It would appear I have to lift the tub..... not happy about what I'm seeing so far.

Pappy Chris

MY box is inside the stringers and the hose runs over to the tub on the other side. It would appear I have to lift the tub..... not happy about what I'm seeing so far.

Pappy Chris

Maybe not...can you just pull the drain fitting up? I think you might be able to as many are just caulked down...no backing screw ring.

Maybe not...can you just pull the drain fitting up? I think you might be able to as many are just caulked down...no backing screw ring.

I do so hope you are right! If it is I will send someone to kiss you :dance:

I am fortunate that I have an access door in the floor of the head that is right on top if the box and all the wiring is right there too.

Tub Drain

I looked and pryed on the drain and it seems pretty attached. I decided to buy an 8" screw down deck plate since regular access isn't necessary. I will cut in an access hole to replace the hose then screw the deck plate in place when I'm done. Beats the heck out of tearing up the entire head to get to it.

Cheers
Pappy Chris

Lo and behold I finally got to the bottom of the tub. My tub in fact does have a threaded retainer on the drain. Whom ever attached the hose to the tub tail piece used some sort of adhesive and clamped it. (dirty sob).
The rubber hose was brittle enough to brake off. I then used a razor knife to slice what was left on the tub. After 2-3 hours of work I finally got it off with the help of some carburetor cleaner to soften the hose and adhesive. The hose has 2 bronze 90* elbows in it. One goes below the tub up against the tail piece and the other makes the bend to drop the water in the shower box. I'm going to replace the hose with nylon reinforced vinyl hose. I bought an 8" access plate and cut a 6" hole in the front apron of the tub for access. Then used a long blade in my recip saw and trimmed the floor just inside the the opening so I could get my arm down in there to work on it. Will post some pictures of this mess soon. When it's done it should look fine and work.

This weekend the how water heater tank decided to stop holding water. Ugggg. Found a good one (11 gallon) online for $225.

Tub drain access

Tub access I cut in to get to the old drain hose and tail piece. I got a nice matching plate to screw in place to cover the hole (for next time -- not me)
:thumb:

Attachments

• 1. 003.jpg
    1. 003.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 122
  • 1. 002.jpg
    1. 002.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom