Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Inquiry --

Who did the interior décor for your boat (c’mon, man-up), you, your first mate/admiral, or a joint effort?

Did you keep the furniture that came with the vessel when you bought it?
Do you have an overall nautical motif, just a hint, or none?
Do you have curtains or Venetian blinds in your saloon/salon?

I’m trying to get some ideas for my heavy cruiser/motor yacht/pleasure/mock trawler that I will be redoing this fall.

Pics would be nice.
Thanks, KJ

Inquiry --

Who did the interior décor for your boat (c’mon, man-up), you, your first mate/admiral, or a joint effort?

Did you keep the furniture that came with the vessel when you bought it?
Do you have an overall nautical motif, just a hint, or none?
Do you have curtains or Venetian blinds in your saloon/salon?

I’m trying to get some ideas for my heavy cruiser/motor yacht/pleasure/mock trawler that I will be redoing this fall.

Pics would be nice.
Thanks, KJ

The manufacturer (Camano) did the interior. All the furniiture is built in so I kept it. There are curtains on the windows.

I replaced the carpet with AMTICO teak and holly.

308594699.jpg

308594697.jpg

401357500.jpg

We have refinished/updated the Eagle from the bow to the stern. My wife did the quilts, curtains and upholstery, and I did sanding/varnishing/painting/counter tops/sinks/back deck. We get the original layout/dinettes/cabinets. Since these picture my wife made new salon curtains that are the same colors and sort of match the master stateroom quilt.

Attachments

• stateroom.jpg
    stateroom.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 72
  • gally sraboard.jpg
    gally sraboard.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 71
  • pilot house.jpg
    pilot house.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Eagle on the hard - Gene.jpg
    Eagle on the hard - Gene.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 74
  • galley1.jpg
    galley1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 70
  • back deck.jpg
    back deck.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Very nice!
I think you can tell a lot about a person by their surroundings. KJ

I'm a minimalist....I like to untie the dock lines.

I'll have to see what photos I have tonight. The boat had black leather upholstery when we got it and we have kept that and added a swiveling black leather chair. The boat also came with brown venetian blinds and we still have some though on the sliding side doors and the front windows we removed the blinds and now rely on exterior covering.

I made blue and brown pillows but those ended up on the brown couch at home when the purchaser of our prior "Pineapple Girl" (sailboat) gave us back two of the pineapple material pillows I'd made for that boat (Colonial Williamsburg fabric so not gaudy / tropical). Our comforter in our cabin (aft) has a large scale pineapple print cover in bright colors on white. It is a dark room otherwise.

The vee berth is interesting. The PO had covered the walls with what appears to be cowhide and we have not attempted to remove it. He also left a dark brown comforter and brown sheets. We have put light blue sheets up there to brighten it up a bit. We pretty much only use it for storage so it is not a high priority to do anything with.

We just took posession of our current boat a couple months ago, and because of the weather we have only worked on the interior -- this is the second time we've done substantial changes to the interior cabin of our boat.

Both projects were clearly a combination of myself and my wife. My wife wants the boat to be comfortable, inviting, and warm (both in terms of temperature and style). I tend to be more utilitarian, minimalistic, and practical.

So far we have re-done the galley countertops, re-did the dinette tabletop, replaced the stereo, are in the process of recovering all the upholstery, are in the process of building a new media/navigation boat PC, and put in carpet remnants that we had left over from our Bayliner (which we will replace at some other time). The picture below shows almost all of the upgrades at one time:
attachment.php

The boat we bought was in great shape mechanically and structurally. Cosmetically it was in very good condition, especially considering the age, so nothing was necessary in order to enjoy the boat. But because we enjoy doing projects on the boat, and since we are aboard more often with the increased room, plus the excitement of a new boat, we decided to improve things as we think of them.

There is no master plan, or theme. We have specific tastes that carry through all our boats and our house -- dark neutral colors (browns, blacks, grays, and blues) on major items, with a few brighter colors (lime green, yellow, orange) as accents and that can be easily swapped out.

This boat has curtains, and we have no immediate plans to change them.

Here is a couple more I found. The picture of the small quilt covering the stairs from the salon to the pilot house shows the new curtains which really pops the rose teak. That little quilt has save us a bundle of mony from keeping the warm air down in the salon and not going up into the pilot house. :socool: The hall way was teak which made it very dark, so we wall papered it, which brightened it.

As you can see we have a lot of things with Eagles on them. We are going to rename but we are glad we kept the Eagle name as the main theme. Its time to almost start over again. :facepalm:

Attachments

• Hall.jpg
    Hall.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 80
  • main head.jpg
    main head.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 72
  • quilt.jpg
    quilt.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 85
  • srareeoom head.jpg
    srareeoom head.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I have redeigned the main salon. I am not finished yet but this is what I have done so far. I made plywood boxes to convert the straight settee into a "U" shaped Settee. These boxes were made of plywood whish I then veneered and finished. A also made the table which has a white formice top and red oak fiddle reails. The taqble drops and makes into a double bunk.
We hired an upholsterer to make the cushions.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Old Salon - Table Down 2.JPG
    Old Salon - Table Down 2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Old Salon - Table Up.JPG
    Old Salon - Table Up.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 73
  • New Salon -Port.JPG
    New Salon -Port.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 78
  • New Salon-Stbd.JPG
    New Salon-Stbd.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 70
I made plywood boxes to convert the straight settee into a "U" shaped Settee. These boxes were made of plywood whish I then veneered and finished. A also made the table which has a white formice top and red oak fiddle reails. The taqble drops and makes into a double bunk.
We hired an upholsterer to make the cushions.

wow. looks like a new boat.

Thanks PG

I still have the bulkheads to do. I bought 2 sheets of 1/4 Teak plywood for that.

Tony, I almost fell out laughing until I scrolled down. I thought you paid for the red cushions. That is very nice work my man. I second the " it looks like a new boat" reply. Look 100x better without the fold down table..

Tony, I almost fell out laughing until I scrolled down. I thought you paid for the red cushions.........

That is way too funny. They came with the boat and we hated them. I kept telling wifey, hold on until I am ready to change everything out. There was a burn ban when we swapped them out so I had to make the dumpster ugly. I laid them along side the dumpster on the outside chance someone would want them. They lasted less than an hour before someone took them.

Back
Top Bottom