Monterey to Southern California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Begining planning for a trip this spring from Monterey to Santa Barbara.* From Santa Barbara on to San Diego and places in between.* I'm reading the Cruising guide to Central and Southern California by Fagan.* Made the trip years and years ago as a boy but not since then.

Thoughts & suggestions are all appreciated.* What else should I be reading? * I'm going to pull the charts off the boat this weekend and start to map it out.

35' PT Overseas Trawler curising at 9.5 kts.

Thanks,

Eric

Look for the book, "Exploring the Pacific Coast", by Don Douglas & Reanne Hemingway-Douglas.* It covers the coast from San Diego to Seattle.* Not necessarily THE authoritative guide but another piece of the map.

Baggiolina. How did this trip down South work out for you? I may be looking at a PT 36 in Alameda, then I would need to get the boat back to my home town San Diego harbor.

Phatdad, we're leaving....weather and port exhaust pipe willing...May 8th. Buy the flipping thing and come with!

Planning a three day voyage, more than likely. Cambria the first day, Port San Luis the second and then do Pt Conception at dawn the third.

Send the yachtworld info on your boat so we can take a look.

Eric

Phatdad, we're leaving....weather and port exhaust pipe willing...May 8th. Buy the flipping thing and come with!

Planning a three day voyage, more than likely. Cambria the first day, Port San Luis the second and then do Pt Conception at dawn the third.

Send the yachtworld info on your boat so we can take a look.

Eric

1988 PT 38' Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I think Pineapple Girl is close buy as well. Not sure on the price though. We looked at an 1986 PT 38 last summer for 62k. Original owner as well and very clean. We are paying cash for a boat so I was not quite there at that time or I would have bought Her.

Very nice! You can tell she is a PT. 13kts cruise might not be real. I've got 6bts/twindisc 502s and she cruises at 10, I once got 15.5 with a following sea, some wind and everything empty WFO. Let me know when you close and I will drive up and take a look. I'm in San Jose so it is close. Jennifer is right across the bay. I think there was a youtube video on this boat. I'll take a look.

Found the link to the old youtube video but it has been taken down, not sure if it was the same boat.

Hey E and PhatDad! We have seen 2nd story from the water while cruising up the estuary the other day. We will be in Oakland Saturday for the boat show so maybe we will go over to Alameda and see if the broker will let us take a look. The asking price is not much more than our boat was listed for. Everything is negotiable!

Hey E and PhatDad! We have seen 2nd story from the water while cruising up the estuary the other day. We will be in Oakland Saturday for the boat show so maybe we will go over to Alameda and see if the broker will let us take a look. The asking price is not much more than our boat was listed for. Everything is negotiable!

That would be very cool of you guys. Have fun at the boat show. I no its a great one in Oakland.

Very nice! You can tell she is a PT. 13kts cruise might not be real. I've got 6bts/twindisc 502s and she cruises at 10, I once got 15.5 with a following sea, some wind and everything empty WFO. Let me know when you close and I will drive up and take a look. I'm in San Jose so it is close. Jennifer is right across the bay. I think there was a youtube video on this boat. I'll take a look.

I no that boat will not cruise at 13kts :) and its not a planing hull. Its a displacement. She would probably plane at 35knts:eek:

I no that boat will not cruise at 13kts :) and its not a planing hull. Its a displacement. She would probably plane at 35knts:eek:

This reminds me, our boat was listed as cruising at 16 knots. The broker told us he HIGHLY doubted that was true. When we were on the sea trial, the broker and owner were down below. the broker told us later that the owner had pointed at the VHF, which was tuned to 16, and said "see I told you it cruised at 16 knots." :rofl: we cruise around 8 or 9 and like Eric managed to max out at 15 something one time in ideal conditions...

This reminds me, our boat was listed as cruising at 16 knots. The broker told us he HIGHLY doubted that was true. When we were on the sea trial, the broker and owner were down below. the broker told us later that the owner had pointed at the VHF, which was tuned to 16, and said "see I told you it cruised at 16 knots." :rofl: we cruise around 8 or 9 and like Eric managed to max out at 15 something one time in ideal conditions...

Oh, that is funny. VHF 16knts.

It would have blown his mind if you had moved up to 71

Hey PD, we did not get by the boat, or the boat show. We went to the delta and hung out on our boat instead. :blush:

Hey PD, we did not get by the boat, or the boat show. We went to the delta and hung out on our boat instead. :blush:

Not a problem. Hope you had a great weekend. That boat has been for sale for quite sometime. If the price comes down into the 70s I would be more interested :)

Still hoping to leave this Tuesday for Santa Barbara and points south but the weather looks crappy!

You need to stay right there for a couple more days. 9ft 9sec following seas are doable in a recreational trawler but you will not have any fun. The beer is still cold right? On the plus side once you turn the corner the weather is beautiful.:thumb:

Safe travels and smooth seas, Baggliolini. Keep us posted on your trip.

Monday night we had hope, everything looked like it was calming down but it was not to be. Big seas along Big Sur scrapped the adventure. Probably for the best since my crew decided to get plastered. We did an overnight in Santa Cruz and an afternoon in Moss Landing. We got beat up coming back from Moss, really big swell, ended up heading into the waves and then turning south east from Pt Pinos to make it tolerable.

Going to try again in two weeks with a new crew that doesn't drink quite so much!

And the salt in the wound is that it looks perfect this weekend.....but no crew....

LOL!! Best laid plans...

Sounds like a fun crew, though!!

Going to try again the first week of June. If that doesn't work, I'll assume it wasn't meant to be and I might tie up next to Jennifer & Matt in the delta.......and the weather is still perfect.....man plans and God laughs....

Well, it isn't like S. Cal. won't still be there for the next several decades. Besides, the CA Delta has plenty of sunshine, heat, interesting scenes, and piloting challenges if that what's you're looking for. Sorry, no hurricanes.

Last edited:
Weather for the trip tomorrow:

NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 45 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 7 FT. NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 9 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

I'm thinking that either God doesn't like me or that he really does like me and doesn't want me to go......

Perhaps the third time is the charm.....

Weather for the trip tomorrow:

NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 45 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 7 FT. NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 9 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

I'm thinking that either God doesn't like me or that he really does like me and doesn't want me to go......

Perhaps the third time is the charm.....

oh no! What is the plan C date? Matt's sailing down there on the 13th.

You pretty much have to wait until the pacific high settles in. Then the trip will be gravy. Give it until mid June and see if it looks better.

What's the latest on your trip E? The guys left on their sailboat race y'day at 11:00 and they are currently beating into the weather trying to get back North to Monterey after ripping the main. I haven't heard much other than the winds were light inside and the sea is rough.

Back
Top Bottom