1980 Mainship MK2 in Tarpon Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swa

Hey everyone my name is Del. I live in Tampa and moor my recently purchaced 1980 Mainship MK2 in Tarpon Springs. I need some help from other older Mainship owners in my area with general knowlege of maintance and repair etc. The PO has left me in the dark after the sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated Im also willing to compensate for your tine. Maybe I should have titled this thead -Calling old Mainship owners in the Tampa Bay area FREE BEER!

God Bless and Merry Christmas to all

Hey everyone my name is Del. I live in Tampa and moor my recently purchaced 1980 Mainship MK2 in Tarpon Springs. I need some help from other older Mainship owners in my area with general knowlege of maintance and repair etc. The PO has left me in the dark after the sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated Im also willing to compensate for your tine. Maybe I should have titled this thead -Calling old Mainship owners in the Tampa Bay area FREE BEER!

God Bless and Merry Christmas to all

Welcome, and congrats on your new boat, I think. Are you referring to your boat as the 'old junk,' or are there parts of it that are particularly junky? What's most concerning? While you may find someone close able and willing to help, there's a wealth of smarts available here. Take and post pictures of parts and systems that concern or confuse you and ask questions.

Greg.

Come to the January 11 event being planned for Tarpon Springs. You will meet lots of TF members there who have either owned MS 34s or have experience with your issues.

David

Del
Welcome aboard TF and congrats on your "new" Mainship.
My Bacchus website has lots of info on later year MS but likely not applicable to the older ones.
If you haven't seen the thread on a Jan TF get together in Tarpon Springs do some searching. It would be an easy way to connect with some knowledgeable TF folks even if they are not present / prior MS owners.
Edit: David you beat me to it. In fact I had you in mind when writing my response... wondered if you were planning on attending. Unfortunately we won't be in FL until Feb.

Last edited:
I live in New Port Richey. I owned a 1978 Mainship model I for 14 years.
Tell me where your boat is and I'll stop by one day and take a look.
Might be a day next week I can, but then I'm kind of busy until after the the new year.
You can e mail me at
leonaj99@yahoo.com

Hey Greg thanks for the reply. Im going to take your advise and post questions and pictures of parts and systems that are concerning. I just need a more time to navagate the site and learn how to do so. As for my comment concerning "Old Junk" I get frustrated sometimes with repairs as I tend to be attracted to older projects like this 40 year old trawler.
Best Regards,
Del

Thanks
Look forward to your get together in Tarpon Springs Count me in for for 2
I'll Email you Jay

Del

I would recommend getting Nigel Calders' Boatowners' Mechanical and Electrical Manual and his Diesel Engine Basics books.
Also, if there is not one aboard, a Chapmans' Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling, in a recent edition.
Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride.

Congrats on your new boat. I agree ask specific questions and you will get answers.

I understand the frustration. There are plenty here to share those with that will help you get through the rough times and lift your spirits some.

Posting pictures can be confusing at first - and then several times afterwards. Post #6 in this thread will get you started.

Make a list, work it in small bites that assure successes.

What are your plans when you get the boat 'ready,' and when do you hope to start pursuing them?

Look for a PM from me.

Greg.

Greetings SWA. We're not in your area but what I used to source information of classic Mainship experiences was
1978 '34 Mainship Trawler Micro Yacht Renovations
and
https://mainship34.com/
plus any and everything else I could find on the internet. These sites gave me a basic idea of what we were in for if we purchased a 40 year old boat in need of repair. Every boat has it's own particular quirks and ours had more than it's share but luckily I'm handy with mechanical repairs and more luckily I'm married to a woman who was naive ...I mean willing... to roll up her sleeves and help with the rebuild of our bridge and side decks. The boats ,IMO, aren't worth it to employ professionals in the any major repairs needed but to be able to do-it-yourself makes it slightly more viable and as a side benefit, you'll learn your boat inside and out.

There ought to be a law against sell any boat w/o all the manuals.

I just sold my 1981 MS1 sad day, after 15 yrs. boat was near perfect when I sold her. re-core, eng, the whole bit. post questions ,many former old MS members

I was lucky. My P.O. spent almost a full day with me. He was both honest and forthcoming, no B.S. if something leaked he told me about it. I contacted him several times during the first year I owned the boat then lost contact with him. When I had a question a couple months ago I tried the old contacts and left messages. I figured something had happened which was confirmed when I got a response from his widow. Boating in Heaven, I guess..

My point is that having a honest P.O. who is available for a year or more is really a blessing. I learned a lesson from this old gentleman and I try to be honest and forthcoming with buyers when I sell something. Not always easy!

pete

Thanks
Look forward to your get together in Tarpon Springs Count me in for for 2
I'll Email you Jay

Del

Please go to the Tarpon Springs thread in East coast cruising and Events section and say you're attending.
I am going to try to set up a reservation someplace and I'll take a headcount there. I might forget to look here.
Plus dates, location etc will be posted there.

Yes welcome. You already know of me from your post in the Mainship section.
I wish I still had my 78 Mainship I.
These are very versatile boats, they do many thing very well, are pretty simple, and are easy to modify.
I look forward to meeting you and drinking your beer. :rofl:

Two slight corrections:

1) The owner didn't 'leave you in the dark'. He sold you a boat. It's not his responsibility to make sure you know what you're doing. If I had the owners of ghost of boats gone by constantly blowing up my phone I'd loose my mind. It's your responsibility to 'learn the ropes'.

2) Like all boat manufacturers, Mainship made the hull and deck, married the two together, then installed 3rd party equipment. That 3rd party equipment is by and large the same as what is installed on all boats. (Perkins Engine, Perko light, Jabsco pump, VDO guage, etc). No need to cast such a narrow net. ANYONE can help you on almost anything.

Del
One resource you may find useful is the MS Parts Photos / Supplier info I have available.
If you go to the TF Library - Manuals section you will find a listing for MS, Hunter, Luhrs Parts that will give you info on how to access the individual photos / part info.
The only downside is they are not searchable by part type but you can scan through the photo thumbnails and search for familiar looking parts. If you find something of interest open the photo and the supplier info and part #'s are included in the photo.
No guarantee what vintage these cover as I didn't have that info available.
For 2005-2008 vintage MS 34T/HTs a separate posting gives instructions on how to access the MS BOM which is searchable and will give one a quicker path to the corresponding part photo by photo #.
Any questions on above let me know.

Hey Greg thanks for the reply. Im going to take your advise and post questions and pictures of parts and systems that are concerning. I just need a more time to navagate the site and learn how to do so. As for my comment concerning "Old Junk" I get frustrated sometimes with repairs as I tend to be attracted to older projects like this 40 year old trawler.
Best Regards,
Del

Del
A couple of suggestions re: getting familiar with navigating TF
  1. Best to not post duplicate posts in multiple sections of TF - OK to say Hi in Welcome Mat and include a reference to a specific question / post in another section. (for an example see Forums 101 below - just copy & paste the URL for the post you want to reference.
  2. Spend some time in the "how To Use The Forum, Site... Specifically the Forums 101 post - http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s22/forums-101-set-up-your-account-|-help-tips-etc-5739.html
  3. There are many former MS owners on TF that may / may not view the MS Builders section regularly - if the question is NOT MS specific - e.g. Yanmar engine, Kohler Gen, Side Power thruster - you will likely get more / better responses by posting in the appropriate generic section "Power Systems" "Other Trawler Systems" etc
Attending the Tarpon Springs get together should give you a great jump start by getting to know some knowledgeable TF folks first hand / in person.
If you have any questions navigating TF let me or any of the Site Team know and we are happy to assist.

Don't know if this has been mentioned...

Go to "Search" link on top bar of TF page. Mention items you need to learn. Such as: Propeller, transmission, your boat model, radar etc, etc. There will be hundreds of informative threads and posts to pick from.

I must caution you, though! Be very careful regarding anchors, flying bridges, twin or single engines, gasoline or diesel fuels... and a few other "touchy" topics. Some boat owners get all in a huff about their outlook being the only correct out look there is! :eek: :facepalm: :rofl:

Welcome aboard TF: Enjoy your boat ownership "daze" and boating experience days!! :thumb:

Art :speed boat:

"As for my comment concerning "Old Junk" I get frustrated sometimes with repairs as I tend to be attracted to older projects like this 40 year old trawler."

Enjoy the boat and just chip away at the things that bother you the most as time permits. If you get your mind right theres really only 2 things that can ruin a day on the water; engine trouble and a malfunctioning head. So start there; I'm assuming you have a Perkins so make friends with the Blue Monster. Find out what the status is of your fuel tanks and the fuel thats in there. Change the filters, have spares on board and in the beginning check them frequently to see if some sludge is getting stirred up.

Don't let some soft decks, a little Mainship Tea, spaghetti wiring or cosmetics get you down. Always keep in the back of your mind what a brand new 34' cruiser would cost; you have yourself a lot of boat for the money. Crack a cold one and tackle what you feel like.

p.s. the MK 2's are cool boats, they didn't make to many of them. A guy I know has one near me and I really like it.

Welcome aboard. I have a well traveled M1. Good boat. There's lots of expertise and advice here on any issues you're likely to encounter. Also lots in the archives that's worth reviewing.

I own a 1984 MKIII down in Punta Gorda.... Good Boat... available for questions or if your down this way, come take a look see.

1982 Mainship II Trawler

I have 34' MS II vintage 1982 that I had for the past 20 years (now for sale after purchasing a 2004 MS 390) and did most of the maintenance. It has the 200 hp Perkins and I installed a bow thruster 6 years ago. Happy to respond to your questions.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom